Black Friday deals are coming — but beware overstated discounts

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Black Friday deals are coming — but beware overstated discounts

Many online stores in South Africa will be offering big Black Friday deals, but shoppers should be on the lookout for shoddy offers with overstated discounts and should not get their hopes up for big tech savings.

This is advice from Brent Raftopoulos, director at South African online tech store Dreamware Tech, one of several shops that told MyBroadband they would participate in the year's biggest shopping sale.

Wysjoumuis

Jip you need to take screenshots early, looking at you dodgy takealot prices

Gazg

Ag man......... Black Friday is all hype about nothing.

ghostRgg

Expert Member
Black Friday in South Africa has always been "sham" to put it. Overseas there are some crazy deals, but most are extremely limited.

Given the giant hit in KZN with all the looting and protests, I wish places like Game, Makro and the lot would just simply say NO to this crap. Businesses are struggling all over, especially retail and there are too many customers who just expect sales to happen.

B-1

Expert Member
There some unicorn deals to be had but you practically have to quit your job and spend 24-7 trying to find them. Not worth the bother for most people.

ghostRgg

Expert Member
There some unicorn deals to be had but you practically have to quit your job and spend 24-7 trying to find them. Not worth the bother for most people.
I spent 8 hours of my midnight life trying to get the Huawei deal, only for their website to crash and the checkout cart bugged and them claiming the deal didn't go through, even though I have logs of it working. Never again, time is becoming too valuable. (he said sitting on a forum ranting about black Friday...)

Speedster

Honorary Master
I've had some really fantastic deals over the last few years. One's that come to mind are the original MTN black Friday deals, the Volvo parked in my garage and numerous crazy specials on eBucks shop. There were a few others but I'll have to go back in my records to prod my memory about them.