Black queue' was out-of-town students waiting to fill in forms - not racism, says IEC

cavedog

Honorary Master
https://www.timeslive.co.za/politic...-waiting-to-fill-in-forms-not-racism-says-iec

"Different queues for blacks and whites" at a Western Cape polling station were nothing of the kind, the Electoral Commission said on Wednesday.

The queues actually consisted of voters registered at the Wellington polling station and students registered elsewhere, the IEC said.

The students, who would have to fill in a "VEC4" form before voting, were asked to stand on one side because there were so many of them.

"Instead of clogging up the whole system, they were kept aside and continued with filling in the VEC4 forms," said Western Cape electoral officer Courney Sampson.

"That explanation actually makes sense to me."

Earlier, the IEC undertook to investigate the voting station in Wellington after a video posted on Facebook showed black and white voters queuing separately, with the person shooting the video denouncing it as racist.
The video was viewed more than 125,000 times and shared more than 470 times within three hours of being posted by Chumani Siimane.
Lawson Naidoo, executive secretary of the Council for the Advancement of the South African Constitution, said the organisation had advised IEC officials at several voting stations in the Western Cape to have a separate queue for people filling in VEC4 forms.

Mila

Honorary Master
I had no Queue..
I was served by only african people.
How very colonial...

Lets find something to be racists about.
( please I’m being sarcastic)

Düber

:) Our queues where split the same way, and looked the same way too. A guy behind me said to his wife "sjoe this looks really suspect" and everyone had a good giggle.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The guy who posted the video should be charged for inciting racial hatred. It is the only way to stop these non-racist events when people are forced to THINK before they act.
Our voting point had a table clearly marked for those needing to complete the form. Again no sweat and no stupid comments.

3WA

Executive Member
When you decide you're a victim before you even take the time to understand what's going on...

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Why is there an influx in "students" coming to vote? Are they being "imported" to influence the outcomes maybe? I'd rather investigate down that angle.

Or, due to my apathy to process I don't really know what the guidelines for this is, and I could be speaking out of my ass here.

Hemps

Executive Member
Saw the twitter replies after that video was posted, this country is honestly screwed, the amount of hate was mid boggling like people frothing at the mouth with their anti-white replies.
Most of them had anc/eff slogans showing on their profiles as well.

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
When you decide you're a victim before you even take the time to understand what's going on...
I've see similar situations sometimes play out at work over the years and it creates unnecessary problems. Someone notices something, or overhears things being said at the tail end of a conversation, makes an assumption based on limited information, doesn't ask questions but reacts or spreads half-truths, thereby creating a problem based on nothing more than a misunderstanding on their part.

Why is there an influx in "students" coming to vote? Are they being "imported" to influence the outcomes maybe? I'd rather investigate down that angle.

Or, due to my apathy to process I don't really know what the guidelines for this is, and I could be speaking out of my ass here.
They are studying in a different province and can't go all the way back home to vote.

Last edited:

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Just reading all of the comments on the original twitter video made me loose all hope for humanity, even after the IEC statement was released people were still in disbelief, and spouting racism.