BlackBerry Messenger coming to iOS and Android?

EtienneK

Expert Member
Why would they do this? This is the biggest reason for getting a blackberry.

hawker

Honorary Master

No idea.

Everyone should just use whatsapp. It's essentially exactly the same as BBM, except its for basically all smartphones (BB, Android, iOS and Symbian).

Munch

Can someone explain how these apps are different from gtalk or other IM's? If they are essentially the same what concept did RIM invent?

hawker

Honorary Master
Can someone explain how these apps are different from gtalk or other IM's? If they are essentially the same what concept did RIM invent?

Its no different from gTalk or whatever. RIM just made it "cool, hip and trendy"

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

Well it operates as a service on the device, so it built in. Its more reliable than any other IM type thing, comparable to SMS type reliability.

You have to use it to understand.
Out of all the other IM's Whatsapp is the closest and still can't match the integration and reliability. Every other IM sits on top of the OS like a fat pig.

atlas3686

Ya RIM didn't event anything, it is instant messaging nothing more. The BB service is nothing more then unlimited Data, which just about any phone in America & Europe can have, they just call it a service because they bundle an instant messaging program with it. I do love it when companies try and take credit for things like this though. Apple does it a lot as well :)

Last edited:

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
Sooner everyone has BBM the better :) WhatsApp causes problems with my BB 9700 :(

Slash69

No idea.

Everyone should just use whatsapp. It's essentially exactly the same as BBM, except its for basically all smartphones (BB, Android, iOS and Symbian).

Yes, every smartphone OS, except Windows Mobile, which annoys me to no end. I have an HTC HD2, but can't use "whatsapp"...

Jan

Drifting in the black

No idea.

I think you may have just answered the question. Maybe RIM want to become the chat application of choice rather than having their users constantly looking for alternatives to communicate with non-BB users, as well as possibly losing one of their major drawcards to a developer that builds a cross-platform IM application that does what BBM does.

Brakanjan

Ya RIM didn't event anything, it is instant messaging nothing more. The BB service is nothing more then unlimited Data, which just about any phone in America & Europe can have, they just call it a service because they bundle an instant messaging program with it. I do love it when companies try and take credit for things like this though. Apple does it a lot as well :)

RIM was first with introducing reliable always available instant messaging on mobile phones, similair to that on computers. They built their own application for this purpose.

Other apps might have been around, but this was the first app built into a mobile phone, a service that was a major part in the mobile phone. No need to go into an application to start it up for instant messaging. They truly built the first instant messaging system, it was ALWAYS ON and AVAILABLE, unlike on a computer or other app on a mobile phone, which first had to be started up. The phone became instant messaging. It just worked, by itself on the product, integrated.

They don't bundle anything, it is built in, their own messenger, in their own system. Credit for that is due to them. Apple does it well yes along with all the other companies, by copying everything, blackberry messenger was around long before an iphone ever existed.

If one does not have proper knowledge over a subject, use wikipedia before placing unintelligent comments.

hambone

Expert Member
My iphones push notifications stink, so whatsapp becomes a pointless exercise.

Kayoss

"They reported that Android support is definite and expected out first"

Well that just makes the Red Bull offer even better... the phone will have bbm and 500mb free data.

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
my take is that they saw the writing on the wall and that whatsapp is becoming an issue (with whatsapp now available for bb platform, bb users are migrating to android)
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...ments-rose-87-in-fourth-quarter-idc-says.html
blackberry is experiencing loss of market share internationally, za is a notable exception.

it would be interesting to see if they license the product or charge a once-off fee.

there is a subtle difference between bbm and other im clients afaik - it supports pins for private, compressed and encrypted communication and it also supports groups, which whatsapp and certain other mobile im apps didn't have before.
open to correction on that one.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
RIM was first with introducing reliable always available instant messaging on mobile phones, similair to that on computers. They built their own application for this purpose.

Other apps might have been around, but this was the first app built into a mobile phone, a service that was a major part in the mobile phone. No need to go into an application to start it up for instant messaging. They truly built the first instant messaging system, it was ALWAYS ON and AVAILABLE, unlike on a computer or other app on a mobile phone, which first had to be started up. The phone became instant messaging. It just worked, by itself on the product, integrated.

They don't bundle anything, it is built in, their own messenger, in their own system. Credit for that is due to them. Apple does it well yes along with all the other companies, by copying everything, blackberry messenger was around long before an iphone ever existed.

If one does not have proper knowledge over a subject, use wikipedia before placing unintelligent comments.

Thats actually true hey... I remember way back when Blackberry were the first to introduce Mail on their devices, they had the ability to send a pin message to another BB user for free.

This was on a device with a black and white screen !

DeathStrike

Expert Member
i saw that they want to charge for android to use the service and i stopped reading... Why would i want to pay to have access to a chat service that most of my friends don't have.....

Sorry i will stick with mxit/gtalk/msn...

i just use pdgin on pc and the different apps on my mobile.

btw is there any app that groups all three?

is there a pidgin for android?

DavidP

BGR also reported that RIM will offer stripped down versions of the BBM experience, allowing Android and iOS users to communicate with BBM users, but not necessarily let them share photos, location, or videos.

Lol, so why would we switch to BBM from whatsapp ? .... morons

F1ve_Claw

Expert Member
BBM 'features' annoy me. I dont want yet ANOTHER platform for people to have endless status updates. Whatsapp is the way :)