BlackBerry Messenger penetration in South Africa

burn

Expert Member
I would expect Whatsapp to be second, behind mxit. Only because mixit works on more phones.

MightyMuffinMan

Expert Member
Social statistics website Socialbakers currently lists South Africa in 31st place in the world Facebook rankings with over 4.8 million users.

If rankings use absolute numbers than the rankings are useless. Be Better if the rankings are percentage of population.

Fox1

Executive Member
Where does the future of BBM lay when RIM pulls out of "most" consumer markets like they just mentioned yesterday? Surely SA would be the first market they will leave?

TFTC

I would expect Whatsapp to be second, behind mxit. Only because mixit works on more phones.

I think whatsapp is the future. People no longer want yet another username and password like what mxit does. If they can be number based like whatsapp they will have more penetration

[)roi(]

Executive Member
+1 -- most people I know have moved to whatsapp, even the BB ones.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Well looking at the recent sales numbers and RIM Business plans I guess 3.2 million people will soon have to look for another IM.

Only good news for Whatsapp, iMessage, ChatON, Gtalk, Skype, Lync, Viber..... oh, wait a minute why do people still use BBM.... oh wait its BIS that they will miss not BBM.

Last edited: