LazyLion

King of de Jungle
New research also suggests most South Africans are incredibly ignorant.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Well I don't think the survey period counts the last couple months

cerebus

Honorary Master
and poor so unlimited messages and browsing for R60/m makes sense to them

This. Most people are more pragmatic and realistic than you give credit for. It's still good value in this country.

Ecco

Executive Member
Great for blackberry.

Arthur Goldstuck, MD of World Wide Worx, said that the study has been running since 2005, with the backing of First National Bank, and Dashboard providing the field services

Why are people getting field data for these stats. Surely they can get more accurate data from the service providers?

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
New research also suggests most South Africans are incredibly ignorant.

Ignorant about what ?

If it suits their needs then whats the problem.

Sure Apple and Samsung have some nice high end devices but in the lower end there are some very competitive Blackberries.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Great for blackberry.

Why are people getting field data for these stats. Surely they can get more accurate data from the service providers?

I think they want to know what people are actually using.

I have met a few people who still carry their old BB with them for actual usage. Other phone is just for show.

sin_x

I think they want to know what people are actually using.

I have met a few people who still carry their old BB with them for actual usage. Other phone is just for show.

In which case, data from the service providers would still be more accurate.

nfbs

Expert Member
as soon as I read Arthur Goldstuck I stopped reading. I feel sorry for companies that makes decisions based on his research

OMB

Mountain Man
strange, I know of at least 5 people in my immediate circle that have switched to Samsung from Blackberry in the past year

blunt

Expert Member
I still think BB has such a hold because of their devices with physical keyboards.

Whether you like it or not - many, many people despise typing on a touch screen.

Yes they've improved, but still its not as easy - particularly when you're used to it (physical keyboards), and we all know how people are when it comes to change.

Last edited:

surfs-up

Expert Member
For the South African market, last decades (and century's) Nokia, is this decades Blackberry. i.e. for the school kids, labourers, blue collar workers, domestics etc that don't have the money for a good smartphone, they resort to the Blackberry as it is good value....and is good at making and receiving calls and simple messaging.

The high end Samsung, iPhone and other smartphones are simply out of the financial reach for run of the mill South Africans. That, in essence, is what this survey confirms

Gulio

Banned
Was this survey done in actual sales or usage?
If usage I'd guess it could be correct, bb hand me downs.
If on actual sales this survey is a complete waste of time.

Baxteen

Honorary Master
For the South African market, last decades (and century's) Nokia, is this decades Blackberry. i.e. for the school kids, labourers, blue collar workers, domestics etc that don't have the money for a good smartphone, they resort to the Blackberry as it is good value....and is good at making and receiving calls and simple messaging.

The high end Samsung, iPhone and other smartphones are simply out of the financial reach for run of the mill South Africans. That, in essence, is what this survey confirms

I agree with a lot of the theory, but unfortunately it is untrue. getting a galaxy pocket (or the new equivalent) or even the vodafone cheapphone is cheaper, and with a 2 megapixel camera a better buy than any BB we are excluding high end devices remember.

you get whatsapp, and data is cheap enough.

I had this argument wiht a friend the other day, she spend R1500 on a second hand BB. I pointed out some or other el cheapo droid running 4.2.2 from clicks for R699.
she said she wants the free internet, I showed her how much data she can get on each network for R60.

there is not a single logical reason to buy a BB now, R60 BIS is basically 200mb for R60. that is running off a super dodgy APN that fails all the time.
the all my friends use BBM argument is also not valid because the horrible app is on android now. and EVERYONE HAS WHATSAPP ANYWAY

every person trying to justify BB here is silly, you are that guy still waving the old flag at the rugby, so far behind the times it is embarassing for you and everyone who knows you.