BlackBerry PRIV review: the best Android smartphone of the year

Baxteen

Honorary Master
I think it would be an interesting comparrison.
Jan used the Priv (according to the article at least) and he used the g4.
he actually bought a g4 for himself after he did the review, after HTC sent him to MWC last year.

I would love to know what he would buy for himself now, after reviewing the Priv, the g4, and all the other phones he has reviewed.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
That battery is sooooo nice.....
Not really, same as all the other flagships in terms of battery life.
This means the BlackBerry Priv pretty much matches the battery performance of its flagship rivals, with a full day now the benchmark for our top-flight phones.

I ran the 90-minute HD video test on the Priv, with screen brightness on full and various accounts syncing over Wi-Fi in the background. At the end of the video the BlackBerry Priv had lost 20% of its juice, a pretty respectable result.

It puts the Priv on a par with the iPhone 6S Plus (22% loss) and Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ (23%), while performing better than the HTC One M9 (31%) and Moto X Style (30%).
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/blackberry-priv-1308303/review/7

EDIT:
Final verdict

Don't get me wrong – I really, really like the BlackBerry Priv. It's a great high-end Android phone, especially when you consider who's made it.

Finally we have a BlackBerry smartphone with all the apps you want, with a screen you can actually enjoy videos and games on, and an interface that's far more familiar and intuitive (for the general public at least) than that on the BlackBerry 10.

Trouble is, I wanted to love the Priv – and this is a phone that BlackBerry really needs people to love if the company's ever going to get back into the consumer hardware market – but I just don't.

The flakey performance and absence of a properly premium design, coupled with a price tag which makes it more expensive than the established Android flagship players, makes the BlackBerry Priv very difficult to recommend over its closest rivals.

It's by far the best phone BlackBerry has produced in recent years – but once again I can't help but feel that it's just too little, too late.
(Still techradar)

So bad performance, which is sad considering the specs on the device. In the comments of MyBB someone mentioned that the camera also lags.

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

Baxteen

Honorary Master
NO

I have a flagship and it lasts less than 7 hours

Samsung S6
you have a flagship with a tiny battery in comparison to every other flagship (android at least)

the point is, almost every review of almost every smartphone says the battery is "decent" or "admirable" or "on par"

because the usage will vary so very much from one user to another.

the my G4, vs my SO's G4.

I go a day on a full charge and suffer if I dont leave it plugged in a little bit after the notification says its full.

She however charges every two days.

Jan

Drifting in the black
I read some of the early reviews while putting my own together.

It would seem BlackBerry has fixed many of the major software issues people complained about.

Unfortunately, R12k for a hexa-core with 3GB RAM remains a bitter pill...

If I had it, though, I would switch to the PRIV in a heartbeat.

Baxteen

Honorary Master
I read some of the early reviews while putting my own together.

It would seem BlackBerry has fixed many of the major software issues people complained about.

Unfortunately, R12k for a hexa-core with 3GB RAM remains a bitter pill...

If I had it, though, I would switch to the PRIV in a heartbeat.
so if you were given a brand new in hte box g4, S6(or edge if that is your preference), a Z5 and a Priv you would take the Priv as your primary driver?

Jan

Drifting in the black
so if you were given a brand new in hte box g4, S6(or edge if that is your preference), a Z5 and a Priv you would take the Priv as your primary driver?
Between the HTC One M9, LG G4, Samsung Galaxy S6/Edge+, Sony Xperia Z5, and BlackBerry PRIV?

Yes, but with some explanation/caveats:

1. my experience with the Z5 has been limited to an hour or so of hands-on time.

2. I do not need a good selfie-cam.

Will I miss features from the other phones? Heck yes, but the PRIV would best fit my everyday needs, I reckon.

That said, I would hold off on making any significant decisions for a few weeks. Both the LG G5 and the Galaxy S7/Edge are making an appearance at MWC on 21 February (IIRC).

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The Priv is definitely not the best Android smartphone of last year. Not by a good margin.

Baxteen

Honorary Master
Between the HTC One M9, LG G4, Samsung Galaxy S6/Edge+, Sony Xperia Z5, and BlackBerry PRIV?

Yes, but with some explanation/caveats:

1. my experience with the Z5 has been limited to an hour or so of hands-on time.

2. I do not need a good selfie-cam.

Will I miss features from the other phones? Heck yes, but the PRIV would best fit my everyday needs, I reckon.

That said, I would hold off on making any significant decisions for a few weeks. Both the LG G5 and the Galaxy S7/Edge are making an appearance at MWC on 21 February (IIRC).
Completely agree with the advice.
And it's interesting to see you choose the priv that's all not judging.

I'm still happy with my g4, and I keep recommending it to other people. But I am a fan of the leather and the removable battery

Bosvark@

Expert Member
No BlackBerry... You need to get back in the market... Get your clients back; win over their trust once again.

YOUR PRICING KILLS THIS... :(

Jan

Drifting in the black
I'm still happy with my g4, and I keep recommending it to other people. But I am a fan of the leather and the removable battery
Agreed! Though the removable battery and SD card support is more important to me than the leather.

I also don't feel under any pressure to switch out my G4, it's still a great phone. The PRIV was released later, so I almost expect it to be better.

Dave

Honorary Master
No BlackBerry... You need to get back in the market... Get your clients back; win over their trust once again.

YOUR PRICING KILLS THIS... :(
Don't worry, they'll be doing a fire sale on them soon (a bit like the Playbook). Sales aren't doing all that well as virtually no one is interested in it.

Android Authority reports that a simple browse of the Google Play store can show a good guide to the sales of the BlackBerry PRIV. Looking at apps that are only installed on that phone on the store, it seems that fewer than 50,000 PRIVs have been booted up since the device went on sale
http://learnbonds.com/125772/blackberry-ltd-priv-sales-were-terrible-but-good-enough/

Vice

Expert Member
I wonder if this hardware keyboard is a plus anymore :confused: I just just know that I have "out grown" it. I see it as a hindrance rather than a kewl feature. Besides, the phone would have been much slimmer without it...:whistling: