BlackBerry smartphones – Their death is near

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
BlackBerry smartphones – Their death is near

The latest figures from NetMarketShare show that Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) is the most popular version of the Google mobile OS.

January 2017 figures reveal that Android 5.1 and Android 4.4 come in second and third respectively in the Android rankings, with Android 5.0 in fourth.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I'll be honest, still like a physical keyboard. They must hurry up with the below:

[video=youtube;JelhR2iPuw0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JelhR2iPuw0[/video]

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
This reminds me of the start of the movie called "The Party" with Peter Sellers in the lead. In the begin of this movie he plays the role of an actor playing in a war movie where his own people starting to soot at him because he just not want to stop blowing his bugle!

The same might start to happen to Blackberry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGkg5ytaXlA

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Holy smokes Symbian ahead of BB even.

Loved my Nokia S60 days. My 1st smartphone platform

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Blackberry has discontinued Blackberry OS. To say its death is near is kind of redundant. This is just the last few phones clinging on to life until they die.

Title is wrong, btw - it should be Blackberry OS is near its death, not the smartphones. The phones could drag on for decades on the Android platform.

Wall

Sports Addict
Blackberry smartphone =! Blackberry OS

**** Headline

Sodan

Expert Member
The table below details mobile OS market share by version, according to NetMarketShare.

Mobile OS Market Share – January 2017
OS Market Share
iPhone (iOS) 22.84%
Android 6.0 22.19%
Android 5.1 13.31%
So... there's only version of iOS for iPhone..?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Blackberry has discontinued Blackberry OS. To say its death is near is kind of redundant. This is just the last few phones clinging on to life until they die.

Title is wrong, btw - it should be Blackberry OS is near its death, not the smartphones. The phones could drag on for decades on the Android platform.
Blackberry smartphone =! Blackberry OS

**** Headline
They just sell rebranded phones now so technically the headline is correct.

Last edited:

McT

The Humble Scot!
In the format of "Keep one, change one" ... "Imminently nigh"

For some there may be a wee tear shed. Fortunately, for me, I never had the urge to own one.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
They just sell rebranded phones now so technically the headline is correct.
No... the title is about "Blackberry Smartphones" and the article is about "Blackberry OS". If anyone needs the difference between those explained to them, they shouldn't be commenting on the subject.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
No... the title is about "Blackberry Smartphones" and the article is about "Blackberry OS". If anyone needs the difference between those explained to them, they shouldn't be commenting on the subject.
Same difference. Don't think their Android phones is doing very well either so their death is near.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Same difference. Don't think their Android phones is doing very well either so their death is near.
Not the same at all. Whether their android phones are doing well or not are irrelevant to the title - because they're not being measured here.

I agree BB's death is near, I'm more lamenting the death of tech jounalism with ill-informed articles like this on a so-called tech news site :)