BlackBerry vs iPhone in SA: which is most popular?

Rosaudio

First Officer
BB is only good for BBM and the keyboard... the rest of the phone is outdated even with OS6... i will get rid of it once the bbm craze ends.
Exactly, I really cant believe how outdated the OS is, it's like a Word document :p

nakedpeanut

Expert Member
Blackberries just feel cheaply made compared to the iphone4. The quality of software is also way better on the iphone..
Just about all my friends that own BBs have had them freeze on them multiple time.. Where as the iphones just works..

***Note I do not own either***
I got a Nokia n97 :p but hate it :(

Piesang

Executive Member
Bwhahaahahahaaha

I still say iPhone sucks. Been there done that.

BB is the way to go. BB Torch with OS 6(450) is really a excellent performer.

Piesang

Executive Member
Blackberries just feel cheaply made compared to the iphone4. The quality of software is also way better on the iphone..
Just about all my friends that own BBs have had them freeze on them multiple time.. Where as the iphones just works..

***Note I do not own either***
I got a Nokia n97 :p but hate it :(
That is strange.

My wife: BB8520 (next month 9700)
Mother in law: BB8520
Brother in law: BB8520
Brother: BB9700 & 8900
Brother: BB9300
Me: BB9800

Not to mention all my friends who owns BB's. Not one of them ever complained about their BB freeze on them or any other problem. Neither did my 9800 ever gave me a problem. If it does you will surely know about it.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
That R2k special on the 9300 really worked wonders :).

Got mine on contract 6 months ago though.

tRoN

Executive Member
I couldn't decide so I ended up buying both.
So I use the BB during the week for emails etc & the iphone on weekends & holidays for the cool apps etc.

Last edited:

dariaan

You can see how far we are behind in technology as most people aspire to have a nokia. Does that company still exist?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Bwahahah yeah right, thats what I thought when I had an Iphone, now I know what a real phone can do. BB is the best.
So a phone with an ugly OS, low specs and useless 3rd party software is better because it has unlimited internet?

I have spent some time with the torch, 9300 and 8520 - They all have terrible interfaces, small screens and archaic looking frontends.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Never had the privilege of owning a BB but I love mi iPhone4 to bits!! Have a rooted Desire and I can tell you the more I tweak and mod the Desire the less reliable it becomes!! I've mentioned this before but it's worth repeating 60-70% of the apps off the apps market behave as poor beta versions would IE buggy as hell...

Voicy

Honorary Master
I paid R600 + traded a pc game for my iphone 3g. After having fun jailbreaking it I kinda got bored with it. The BB's in our office also don't excite me past the point of being able to make a phone call.

_Hecate_

Expert Member
I love my iphone4 but have never used an Android phone so cant really compare. Nothing about the Blackberry is attractive though.

craigfza

So I use the BB during the week for emails etc & the iphone on weekends & holidays for the cool apps etc.
I'm pretty much the same as tRoN. Have got the BB Torch for business stuff and got myself an iPhone 3GS for the fun and games side. Each has their pros and cons. As said previously, BB is good for its Data plane and business functionality and the iPhone is good for it's fun apps. I do use my BB more though.

bwana

MyBroadband
I have both. My Blackberry is my phone though and the iPhone is more of a iPod touch that can also make calls in a pinch. :)

So a phone with an ugly OS, low specs and useless 3rd party software is better because it has unlimited internet?
Well I don't agree with the first part but unlimited internet is highly desirable when you're living in SA.
The BB's in our office also don't excite me past the point of being able to make a phone call.
I stopped relying on a phone to excite me a long time ago. :)

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Nothing about the Blackberry is attractive though.
As a BlackBerry user I agree – but it gets my vote for doing what it does well. Affordable flat rated Internet access, good email and the like. It may not have the flair of the iPhone or the power of Android, but it just works and is affordable.

craigdoepie

Expert Member
I don't have any of these phones and will be lookin in the future at getting myself 1. But if you guys had to compare functionality and usuability of the phones which one is better. Because all I have read is that BB is good for data and business and the Iphone for apps. Come on, the IPhone must offer something more than just apps. I don't want to spend R500 a month to play with a phone. Can rather buy myself a PSP or something and play proper games. Or am I totally of the rails here.

But the question is, comparing phone functionalities and capabilities of the phone, which one is better?

AirWolf

Honorary Master

I have spent some time with the torch, 9300 and 8520 - They all have terrible interfaces, small screens and archaic looking frontends.
I'm guessing you haven't used a 9300 with OS6?

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
The iPhone has a bigger, higher resolution screen, far superior browser, and just a much richer experience overall. An iPhone feels more like a full desktop experience, like there's almost nothing a PC does that your iPhone can't do too. Of course it's more expensive and the BB has that unlimited data.

Another option is get a Blackberry and an iPod Touch! I got the iPod touch 4th gen and it's really awesome, you get all the iPhone features, apps & games etc except the phone, and it's quite cheap too. - I found a guy who sold it for R1700!

sand_man

Honorary Master
I got the iPod touch 4th gen and it's really awesome, you get all the iPhone features, apps & games etc except the phone, and it's quite cheap too. - I found a guy who sold it for R1700!
Great price!!! 8gb right?

AirWolf

Honorary Master
The iPhone has a bigger, higher resolution screen, far superior browser, and just a much richer experience overall. An iPhone feels more like a full desktop experience, like there's almost nothing a PC does that your iPhone can't do too. Of course it's more expensive and the BB has that unlimited data.

Another option is get a Blackberry and an iPod Touch! I got the iPod touch 4th gen and it's really awesome, you get all the iPhone features, apps & games etc except the phone, and it's quite cheap too. - I found a guy who sold it for R1700!
How does the data connection work on there? WIFI?

Albereth

Honorary Master

Arby, BBs are like the lotto - they're a tax for people who don't undertand stats.

What they don't like to admit to is that the free messages and internet access actually costs about R50 a month. I think the latest Vodaworld advert has the Curve on a special. Save R59 off the normal R149 and pay just R99 (Seems like Vodacom can't do math either)

At Telkom's huge prices you'd get a GB of bandwidth. Exactly how many emails are you getting to warrant that sort of use? Maybe a spam filter is needed?

Unlimited email? Ha! There is a limit to the size of attachments.
Unlimited internet access? Well, why can't you use your BB as a modem for this free access?

Because RIM has done the model and there is no free lunch - the cost of the 'free' service is covered.

I'm not saying that a BB doesn't serve a purpose. It's just that kids at private schools aren't particularly bright and their parents were getting worried about MXIT.