BlackBerry vs iPhone in SA: which is most popular?

Necksy

Depending on how one needs to use the phone & is willing to pay for it. I'll always go for free apps. Android will win

shanil1234

iPhone 4 And Need Nothing Else.. BB Is Owned By Every Tom, Dick & Harry.. Need More Be Said?

Voicy

Honorary Master
I have both. My Blackberry is my phone though and the iPhone is more of a iPod touch that can also make calls in a pinch. :)

Well I don't agree with the first part but unlimited internet is highly desirable when you're living in SA.I stopped relying on a phone to excite me a long time ago. :)
Since I'm not into IT, I don't need to be online or close to my email 24/7. I check my mail at work and when I'm home I often don't even bother launching outlook. If my 3310 had more space than 15 sms's I'd probably still be using it.

2 years ago my iMate JAMin's ringer speaker broke. My phone was permanently on silent for 6 months before I got a new one. It was the best 6 months of my life - and I've adopted the habit of switching my phone to silent on Monday morning and back to normal on a Friday afternoon.

Oh ... and if I see you playing on your phone with it's LCD screen blinding me while we're inside the cinema watching a movie I will rape your face.

robkowa

Some empirical data to bear on the question

This seems to be relevant here:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ry_users_to_switch_to_iphone_survey_says.html

Strongly suggests that once networks provide comparable data plans, people prefer iPhone over Blackberry or Android. So SA is really an outlier... But the Blackberry brand is dying (look at RIM's plummeting market share in the US) and things will soon change here, too. Like so often, SA is just a little behind (in terms of Blackberry adoption, we're where the US was 2 or 3 years ago).

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Dammit why doesn't Cell C listen to me! They should have the iPhone 4 on like a 1gb plan or something, for the same price as Vodacom or MTN.

Yeah in countries where there's decent network iPhone outsells all. Eg it dominates in New Zealand and Australia.

Now that the iPhone is on Verizon in the states, and with the explosive growth of Android, RIM is getting squeezed from both sides. Don't see a good future for them.

Last edited:

BeVonk!

Executive Member
I've got the iPhone 4. Had it for months now. Hundreds op apps on it. Apps are dirt cheap and with a US account there are tons of them. Can do a lot of cool things with the iPhone. All this said, my old BlackBerry Bold 9000 works much much harder and I can't wait to upgrade this to one of the newer Berries (waiting for Bold Touch or Torch 2). NOTHING comes close to the BlackBerry as a communications device and that is why I have a device with me at all times. I write huge e-mails on my Bold with ease without making a single typo. I use BBM at work to stay in contact with staff. I use BBM to stay in contact with family and friends. BBM costs me and the receivers zip. Nothing like it (nope, What's-Up is a wannabe for those outside of the BlackBerry circle). I may well upgrade my iPhone to Android in future, but I MUST have a BlackBerry.

robkowa

BlackBerry is undeniably good for the corporates, but that's where they should stay.
Lately the've been marketing themselves as consumer devices to rival the iPhone, and that's just laughable, for the reasons you've stated. Just the fact that you've got a phone, full iPad, excellent web browser, camera, and HD video, + hundreds of thousands of apps (just downloaded an excellent calendar and note taking app), in one device, means that the blackberry can't compete. Watched an entire movie today in horizontal mode on the retina display of the iPhone 4, and actually enjoyed the experience (never seen such a good display), am reading a book for work in PDF, making annotations;not to mention the games, the list goes on and on. Have to say, I'm blown away by the iPhone 4.

tokoloshi

LG GM750 - Windows Mobile 6.5 Rocks!!!

I use MSN Messenger, Skype, Facebook, browse with Google or Opera alles.

Cost me nothing on a R300 top up contract

Has WiFi, 5Meg camera, GPS, 3G+, 2Gb SD Card

I load up about R60 databundle every second month or so. Use the phone as a modem or WiFi router when I need it.

I can work on Excel Spreadsheets, show PowerPoint Presentations, edit a Word document.

It has Windows Media Player and I can load all of the music that is on my server directly onto the phone via the WiFi. I can connect directly to any shared folder on my network and copy over data.

I have developed a few small apps which I load directly onto my phone.

Now, what can iPhone/BB offer to compete at that price?

I would really, really like to have a realistic alternative - because my next phone needs to be more of the same ...

Shayd

Expert Member
iPhone for me, 3gs @ the moment..

but planning to upgrade to a iPhone 4. :)

PS: Anything better than an iPhone is a NEW iPhone
He has been "Jobs" washed.

Sent from my Galaxy S running darky's rom sent to me by little green robots from the future.

AirWolf

Honorary Master

I load up about R60 databundle every second month or so. Use the phone as a modem or WiFi router when I need it.

I can work on Excel Spreadsheets, show PowerPoint Presentations, edit a Word document.

It has Windows Media Player and I can load all of the music that is on my server directly onto the phone via the WiFi. I can connect directly to any shared folder on my network and copy over data.

I would really, really like to have a realistic alternative - because my next phone needs to be more of the same ...
That's really impressive for an LG.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member

Any android phone would suit you perfectly then.