BlackBerry vs Samsung vs Nokia in South Africa

McCrazieGoalz

Expert Member
Ahead of the release of Win8 this looks like great news for Nokia.

It would be interesting to see what the stats look like in terms of PC software market share. My feeling is that Windows has 98% of the SA PC market.

Nevertheless, I have seen a number of Apple Stores around and a couple of people with Macs. So, it could very well be that Macs have a sizable market.

I feel it would be interesting because these figures come as the SA market has a small %age of smartphones relative to the whole market - and this ahead of 'the release'.

Current feature phone and Symbian Nokia owers to upgrade to WP8's?

warwickw

Expert Member
This is interesting that Nokia still is the leader, of 20 people I know only 1 has a Nokia the majority have Blackberry's, followed by Samsung and a few Apple's. I'm pleasantly surprised to see Nokia still so high. It would be interesting to see a demographic breakdown of these figures.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
The vast majority of that Nokia group is feature phones running Series40 or ultrabasic phones on Series30. I think Series60 Symbian based smart phone usage has shrunk really fast.

Shocking to see Blackberry doing so well, then again it is most likely the lower-middle class and schoolgirls using them.

drukkie

Expert Member
You can get a nokia for R99....times that into the cost for a new smartphone....5-7k.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
As I recently stated in another similar thread one must keep in mind that SA has a huge pre-paid market where Nokia rules by far ... not just with new cheap units but also because of older hand-me-downs (or sold) from people that upgraded. Some Nokias still in pre-paid use come from way back. Current contract ownership will look very different.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Shake the pre-paid and 2nd-hand phones out and Nokia will disappear.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
The sad part of these survey outcomes are that companies will use the numbers to fly their flags but one must first understand what the numbers actually mean and include/exclude.

Most people have Nokia's out of need/desperation and not because they love the brand and want the phone they now have.

Jack Shizz

Glad to know I belong to the 1% of iPhone users and 2% of Mac users.

makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

defcomk

They Should have had prices of the handsets in those charts orderd from lowest to highest it would still be in the same order .

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
Why dont Nokia and Blackberry team up and take on the big boys?

I thought Blackberry was dominating South Africa? Why still is it Nokia?

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
wow. 1% Apple. Then again...Samsung etc make a lot of cheap crap phones of which they must move a lot to make a profit, so purely by unit numbers that makes sense.

Shocking to see Blackberry doing so well, then again it is most likely the lower-middle class and schoolgirls using them.
You'd be surprised how many people in the business world are buying BBs...specifically the BB9900.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Nokia and BlackBerry have become weapons of mass consumption - that is why they have such a massive presence in these surveys. Tech savvy folks tend to avoid them.

Tanarri

The sad part of these survey outcomes are that companies will use the numbers to fly their flags but one must first understand what the numbers actually mean and include/exclude.

Most people have Nokia's out of need/desperation and not because they love the brand and want the phone they now have.
The application of statistics is biased. Will always be.