Blacklist Win XP-Pro activation key?

Broo

Hi all

My laptop was stolen a few days back, and I was wondering whether it was possible to blacklist the Windows XP Pro software installed on the machine (via the activation key) or something similar? Or have it explode next time it connects to the internet? ;)

Cheers.

DJNgoma

Expert Member
Hi all

My laptop was stolen a few days back, and I was wondering whether it was possible to blacklist the Windows XP Pro software installed on the machine (via the activation key) or something similar? Or have it explode next time it connects to the internet? ;)

Cheers.

Well if you still know the code then just dish out the key on a forum for the members to abuse, then he will have to worry with WGA if he connects to the net.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Hi all

Cheers.

Contact Microsoft and explain the situtation, they should disable the old key and give you a new one...

Broo

Contact Microsoft and explain the situation, they should disable the old key and give you a new one...

Probably the best option, and get a refund from MS on my next purchase. Never thought of that. Worth a try. And YES I do have the key written down somewhere.

Conradl

Expert Member
I don't think MS will help. The key is only for that particular machine and lives and dies on it. If it were lost due to fire, theft, flood, abuse etc. then the key goes with it....

ponder

Honorary Master
I don't think MS will help. The key is only for that particular machine and lives and dies on it. If it were lost due to fire, theft, flood, abuse etc. then the key goes with it....

If XP Pro came with the machine then you are correct. If however he purchased it seperately & installed it he should still be able to get a key for it, in theory anyway.