Blind man arrested for drunk driving (u cant make this crap up)

sparticus

Expert Member
A blind man from Kraaifontein is suing the City of Cape Town’s Traffic Department and the police after they arrested him for drunken driving and possession of a firearm.

Luwie Links, 52, is claiming damages of R630 000 and is now fighting for justice at the Cape High Court.

Luwie says on 30 March 2014, while standing on his stoep, cops rocked up and accused him of fleeing a roadblock because he was drunk.

He was arrested but the next day, the matter was struck off the court roll.

He is now suing the City and SAPS for wrongful arrest, police brutality and gross infringement of his human rights and pain and suffering as a result of his arrest.
More on this

Court papers, drawn up by Jonathan Kohen & Associates on behalf of Luwie, state: “As a result of the assault, the Plaintiff suffered swelling to his left side of his face and the sunglasses he was wearing were broken.

“The Plaintiff was handcuffed and arrested in front of a crowd of between 20 and 30 of his neighbours and members of the community.

“The Plaintiff was informed that he was being arrested for drunken driving, possession of a firearm, damage of State property.”

Speaking to the Daily Voice outside court, Luwie explained he has been blind since he was 13-years-old and has never driven a car or owned a driver’s licence.

“I have been blind for 40 years,” he says with his guide Esshe beside him.

“I was shot with a kettie (catapult) in the eyes when I was just 13 and I have been blind ever since.”

He says on the day of his arrest, they were having a small party and when the visitors left at about 3pm, he stood on the stoep and smoked a cigarette.

“I heard a car stopping and this man came to me and asked where is the car that they just chased from the road block,” says Luwie.

“I said I do not know, I have no idea what he is speaking of.”
Links leaving the Western Cape High Court with his guide dog by his side. Video: Genevieve Serra

Luwie says he told the officer that he was blind, and a scuffle broke out when they arrested him and bundled him into a vehicle: “From there I was taken to Kraaifontein Police Station. At 10pm, they let me go.”

He says although the matter was thrown out of court, he wants justice.

“The day I met Jonathan Kohen, who is now my lawyer, I explained to him that I was locked up for drunken driving, and he laughed at first, thinking I am making a joke.”

The matter continues.

Courtesy of the Daily Voice (no seriously)

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Good fvck them up and screw them for everything you can.
However we will pay at the end of the day.

garp

Executive Member
However we will pay at the end of the day.
Which is why it would be far more satisfying if the actual individuals involved could be sued in their personal capacities. If you are so stupid that you lock up a blind man for fleeing a roadblock, you need to suffer the consequences.

Flanders

Honorary Master
CoCT Traffic Dept:

You're no good, can't you see? Brother Luwie Luwie Luwie...
Driving drunk, with your gun, come and bloody fscking sue me...

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Which is why it would be far more satisfying if the actual individuals involved could be sued in their personal capacities. If you are so stupid that you lock up a blind man for fleeing a roadblock, you need to suffer the consequences.

This is actually something that needs to be implemented...

If it can be shown that the officer was blatantly negligent, there needs to be some sort of personal consequences (be it demotion, personal costs order or whatever)

Thor

Honorary Master
Please fck those cops up six love as a tax payer im more than willing to give my money to you vs the gang known as saps.

Lucas Buck

Executive Member
“I was shot with a kettie (catapult) in the eyes when I was just 13 and I have been blind ever since.”

That must have been some shot.

ponder

Honorary Master
Waits for the usual mybb 'he was being sarcastic & disrespectful to the police and deserved what he got, if he was nice and complied with a friendly smile he would have been fine' crowd...