BLOCKED BY RICA Who can I contact to remove the block??

Poppie Oosthuizen

Hi,

I have been blocked by Rica for having too many cellphones?????? :(

I have been googling but cannot find any contact details of RICA in order I can request them to remove the block so that I can obtain a simcard for a tab given to me as a present.

Can someone perhaps help me with the necessary details please?

Many thanks,
Poppie

simm_card

Expert Member
Visit your local Pakistani cell shop. They will be of much help.

maumau

Honorary Master
How many phones do you have OP?

I have 7 or 8 cards registered with no problem.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
RICA is not a entity or organisation you can contact. It is a law that the providers need to abide by. I know that with Vodacom there is a limit of 10 RICA'd sims per ID number. This is to prevent bulk sims being RICA'd on the "black market" and sold without the true users details being captured. Whether the 10 numbers per ID can be made up of a mix of providers or if it is 10 per provider I am not sure.

now05ster

RICA is not a entity or organisation you can contact. It is a law that the providers need to abide by. I know that with Vodacom there is a limit of 10 RICA'd sims per ID number. This is to prevent bulk sims being RICA'd on the "black market" and sold without the true users details being captured. Whether the 10 numbers per ID can be made up of a mix of providers or if it is 10 per provider I am not sure.
As a possible workaround for OP, how does one deregister your SIM cards?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
As a possible workaround for OP, how does one deregister your SIM cards?
We can easily do that on the system. That sim will then however stop to function until registered with RICA details once more.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Right, so you'll need 3 black scented candles and some essence of nightshade to fix this. PM me once you've obtained these.

Visit your local Pakistani cell shop. They will be of much help.
Indian works too.

tenintoi

We can easily do that on the system. That sim will then however stop to function until registered with RICA details once more.
Hi there,
I have just been notified that I have rica'd the maximum number of SIM cards when trying to buy a sim! I only have one number, and am obviously a victim of fraud.. How might I go about getting all the other numbers deregistered? Please help

Totempole

Expert Member
I seriously hope this doesn't happen to me. I have A LOT of sim cards registered in my name. I'm still in possession of most of them though.

I don't understand why they need to impose a limit anyway. Surely that should be at the service provider's discretion?

Hummercellc

Expert Member
I seriously hope this doesn't happen to me. I have A LOT of sim cards registered in my name. I'm still in possession of most of them though.

I don't understand why they need to impose a limit anyway. Surely that should be at the service provider's discretion?
I think it is done to stop foreigners from running RICA on a batch of SIM Cards, and then selling them.

I am also 'Blocked' 8 prepaid SIM Cards is the limit at retail stores like Jet, PEP, etc (combined)
Contract or Post Paid SIM Cards have no limit.

tenintoi

I think it is done to stop foreigners from running RICA on a batch of SIM Cards, and then selling them.

I am also 'Blocked' 8 prepaid SIM Cards is the limit at retail stores like Jet, PEP, etc (combined)
Contract or Post Paid SIM Cards have no limit.
Aah, perhaps it's something as innocent as that. I used to buy prepaid CellC simcards when they had their 200GB data specials a few years ago. Thought the maximum number of registered sims was a number in the hundreds

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Do you still have to have the SIM cards to deregister them?

If you tossed them because they didn't work (in the bin) do they deregister by themselves after a period of being inactive?

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Aah, perhaps it's something as innocent as that. I used to buy prepaid CellC simcards when they had their 200GB data specials a few years ago. Thought the maximum number of registered sims was a number in the hundreds
Government is lowering the limits every year. Last I heard they plan for every citizen to own only two cellphone numbers. Nothing more.

tenintoi

Do you still have to have the SIM cards to deregister them?

If you tossed them because they didn't work (in the bin) do they deregister by themselves after a period of being inactive?
Nope. When I contacted CellC, they didn't have any sims in my name though this may be as they were prepaid sims. I really don't know, and am at an utter loss

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
My whole family is registered in my name - 5 people / 7 devices and counting...

tenintoi

Government is lowering the limits every year. Last I heard they plan for every citizen to own only two cellphone numbers. Nothing more.
This is really ridiculous, what of sims in gate motors and other non-mobile phone uses?