Blouberg restaurant accused of racism after rejecting bookings

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic

Mars

Honorary Master
To only thing that really cheese me off with restaurants is tips.

I once went to a takeout place where my change was automatically put into a tip container for the cashier. But when I looked around it was worse.

There was a tip container for the cashier
A tip container for the kitchen
A tip container for the pizza maker
A tip container for the coffee maker
A tip container for the soft drink counter
A tip container for the waitron
And a tip container for the cleaner.

Why the heck work at the place in the first place, and honestly you are paid for the job you are there to provide. Asking a tip for everything defeats the purpose.

As such I have learnt to make most dishes at home now, and in honestly I goto Spur 1x a year. Ocean Basket dont bother anymore....

Its really just Nandos, Burger King, Romans Pizza and Asian Restaurants. Asian restaurants generally dont ask for a tip. Its included in the price of the food.
I totally agree with you. Tipping should be banned and restaurants should stop guilting their customers into paying the salaries of their workers.
Charge more and pay a proper wage. Ban tipping.

I have heard this argument a million times "but the service will be bad". Nonsense. Its simple. Bad service = warning. Continuous bad service = fired. Just like any other service industry.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Lol the person who has never produced any evidence wants evidence?

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

You are a joke.

Hey, you stated that Cape town restaurants are notorious for being racist. I ask you to name and shame them and you refuse, trying to make the questioner a joke? You're dishonest with a narrative and agenda.

Craig_

Honorary Master
Hey, you stated that Cape town restaurants are notorious for being racist. I ask you to name and shame them and you refuse, trying to make the questioner a joke? You're dishonest with a narrative and agenda.

I've never experienced racism in any restaurant in or around Cape Town, not saying it doesn't happen, as it probably does, I've never experienced it myself though. When the service is really **** I walk out though, I won't make a fuss but I'll leave.

Crap service I've seen many times.

dj2381

Expert Member
He/she/it is a racist troll, just put it on ignore, Helen Zille probably haunts this person's dreams, no wonder it hates CT.

Pegasus

Executive Member
The deposit part doesn't bother me, it is insisting on credit card details and the hospitality industry still to this day insist on people handing their credit cards over as security or to make bookings. It is ridiculous, and a risk they would deny. I will EFT a deposit, because then I have a certain paper trail.

I have also seen deposits abused many a time, by the seller, where a deposit is suddenly exchanged into a service. Whenever I come across schit like this, I call it out.
I wouldn't dish my details out either.
However, I am happy to dish out the company Diners club details.
Finance can sort out any issues. :)

Howdy

Expert Member
Always one of two groups lamenting their devastation (elasto)plastering away on twitter, facebook and so on. I don't see the same amount of effort by the rest of the color, sexual, belief or even non belief spectrum. Or did I miss the breaking news:

"Cape Town - A day commemorating the great Atheist March of 1956 turned traumatic for two Athiest Men"
"Cape Town - A day commemorating the great Cyclist March of 1956 turned traumatic for two Cyclists Woman"

But I suppose; Currency is currency and a few has caught onto this. Just call it [as it wasn't], add a bit of flare and finally whip it up with some 5 hand card deck and walla! You can [almost] get what you want every time. Especially if the party includes a few sauvignon blanc to go around.

it is a long walk to the freedumb?
It's called IOL.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

In the Cape Town space, one restaurant which is littered in racial controversy is the Brass Bell in Kalk Bay.

The Twelve Apostles story is similar as to the one in the OP, there was also some historical claims attached to this incident.

Then there was the "2 Blacks" episode at The Bungalow.

The sentiment that blacks aren't welcome in Cape Town restaurants are well reported on, via editor's choice or through opinion pieces, or rather reviews, like the one below,

Race and Cape Town: Your colour matters at restaurants​

Whether we admit it or not, black people in the Mother City are often discriminated against when they go out to eat. The subject is a touchy one, with many whites accusing blacks of playing the race card

While my partner and I are part of Cape Town’s middle class, we also happen to be black. This means that we, more often than we like, find ourselves in otherwise exclusively white spaces. There are of course no “whites only” signs on the doors of these establishments, but when we enter these spaces, we often find that except for the staff, we are the only black people there.

This happens at restaurants, at seminars, at functions, at work meetings. It happens so often that we have a punch line to this “joke”: “Oh dear, we’re the only whites here! Again!”

Despite different progenitors, and the last number in our ID books firmly placing us in different apartheid “population registration groups”, we share a similar shade of “medium” brown. We both have “straight” noses. One of us has straight hair, the other tight curly hair, worn in long dreadlocks, so navigating middle class Cape Town is always an interesting experience for us.

While the Where to Eat in 2015 list of Cape Town’s top restaurants includes several of our favourite restaurants, it also includes restaurants we have tried to visit, but where we were made to feel invisible and could not be served. Many black people will know this incredible, magical Cape Town invisibility trick. For those who don’t, it works like this: “We can’t see you because we have made you invisible. We can’t serve you if you are invisible.”

In practice, it means we cannot visit all of the restaurants on the Eat Out list. We’ve tried, but if they can’t see us, they can’t serve us. After trying to get the staff or management’s attention, we either leave and find somewhere else to eat, or try harder to get noticed (waving hands in the air, getting up to advise someone, preferably management, that we’d like to be served, that we’ve been here 20, 30, 35 or 45 minutes and have yet to succeed in getting someone’s attention).

Many Cape Town restaurants tolerate people of colour. This means we are allowed entry, treated indifferently or inhospitably (or as if we are being done a huge favour by being granted seating rights at all) and treated visibly differently to all of the other (white) patrons in the restaurant.

It also means that the restaurant reserves the right to grudgingly seat us in the “black” section of the restaurant – somewhere hidden away in the bowels of the building, close to the toilets or any other smelly or windy parts where we will not disturb the view.

The black people who engaged in the neighbourhood discussion were shot down as soon as they tried to share their experiences of being thrown out of restaurants, of having to give up a table to white patrons, of being made to feel invisible, of being told a restaurant was full, only to have their white friends make a reservation. They were told off for “turning everything into a race issue”. Their comments were termed as “nonsense” and their experiences condemned as “playing the race card once again” – “yawn”.

We were all reminded that “poor service” affects everyone, but only black people interpret poor service as racist. Apparently “poor service” is nonracial. It’s what unites us. Seemingly, we are in a postracial reality where white Capetonians get to determine where, what, when and how racism happens, and to whom.

This is Cape Town. It is 2015. And yes, it has only been 20 years since the dawn of democracy, compared with the nearly 400 years of embedded race-based, master-slave relationships in the Cape. Dismantling that prison house will clearly take much more than a short Welcome List of eateries.

Maybe... because I am white, I don't share the same experiences. Ignoring eateries, and said alleged racist atmosphere, I have personally experienced racism in Cape Town, so it is not race unique.

The article I posted, dated 2015, does list welcome/unwelcome restaurants in case you are black and seeking to eat out without being discriminated against. Published by News24.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Yeah, the hygeine is terrible.

I saw a large lady use the 20L Spur salad dressing bucket as a step ladder once.
Her foot went through the lid, she fished out her plakkie and dirty sock from the bucket.
She then wiped the excess sauce from her leg into the bucket and wrung out the sock.

It was pretty hilarious but.... That white sauce was still used.
None of the staff had white sauce on their food for the next 2 weeks.

And that Salad valley... The things i saw... :sick:

I had several former colleagues that could tell the same stories about Spur where they waitroned (Remember that word? - Waitron) and were kitchen staff to earn money while studying. Send your steak back? How dare you! It got the treatment of being stomped on and the dirt brushed off with the dustpan brush before being reheated and sent back.

Pegasus

Executive Member
I had several former colleagues that could tell the same stories about Spur where they waitroned (Remember that word? - Waitron) and were kitchen staff to earn money while studying. Send your steak back? How dare you! It got the treatment of being stomped on and the dirt brushed off with the dustpan brush before being reheated and sent back.
That happens all over the world.

Chunk20

Expert Member

I have asked you before for evidence which was never forthcoming so excuse me for not taking a hypocrite like yourself serious.

Dishonest? You are very happy to make racist remarks then lie about who made it.

Chunk20

Expert Member
He/she/it is a racist troll, just put it on ignore, Helen Zille probably haunts this person's dreams, no wonder it hates CT.

Find the racism I dare, you and don't come with pointing out racism is racists it's been played out and it's sad.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
I have asked you before for evidence which was never forthcoming so excuse me for not taking a hypocrite like yourself serious.

Dishonest? You are very happy to make racist remarks then lie about who made it.

Don't go off topic and on a tangent now. You stated that Cape Town restaurants are notorious for being racist. I ask you to name and shame them and you refuse. Why? Several others here have also asked you and you haven't attacked them personally? Is this about me or about the topic you refuse to reply to when called out?

Thugscub

Expert Member
The Potatoe farms are flourishing.
Just vote with your wallet instead of being a woke po35.