Blu-ray disc copyright protection cracked – Report

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Blu-ray disc copyright protection cracked – Report

Arusoft announced it has cracked AACS 2.1 copy protection used on ultra-high-definition Blu-ray discs, TorrentFreak reported.

Rumours that the copy protection mechanism used on Blu-ray discs had been cracked surfaced in 2017, when a copy of Smurfs 2 was uploaded to UltraHDclub.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
What does this actually mean for pirates? I assume not much, everything eventually finds its way onto the net.

saor

Honorary Master
The cheaper and more accessible digital becomes, the less of an issue this will be.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
What does this actually mean for pirates? I assume not much, everything eventually finds its way onto the net.
I reckon it means you can now get clones burned from originals. Ripping a Blu-Ray and encoding it with x264/5 has been happening for years so I do not think that would be impacted.

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
So?, Why?, Before streaming this would have been huge, as with Dvd's. But whats the use now?, everything is streamed, HD pirate copies all come from stream rips, If someone wants to make "pirate Blurays", cant they just download the HD stream and convert it to Bluray?

wizardofid

Executive Member
I don't know why companies still insist in trying to add copy protection ?

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
I reckon it means you can now get clones burned from originals. Ripping a Blu-Ray and encoding it with x264/5 has been happening for years so I do not think that would be impacted.
I did not even know this, I thought every HD rip we see today came from a streaming service somewhere. But ja, Well done crackers.....well done :crylaugh:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Here's an idea - stop seeing piracy as the problem and rather a symptom of a problem.

TV shows have pretty much sorted themselves out. Legal streaming services offer a far superior experience, are affordable, comprehensive, offer library management and curated features and in general are so much better than pirating.

I buy a Blu-ray once in a blue moon, and I think that applies to many people. If Hollywood licensed their films at lower fees and with less exclusivity they might find their revenues increase and people losing interest in piracy.

That's how streaming works. It may seem counterintuitive to think the music industry is better off taking R60 a month from us to access all the music available, but at the end of the day R720 a year is much more than most people used to spend on music.

Pitbull

Verboten
Piracy is good, keeps the manufacturers in check. Now the prices of these discs will drop. It's always a win for the consumer :p

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
TV shows have pretty much sorted themselves out. Legal streaming services offer a far superior experience, are affordable, comprehensive, offer library management and curated features and in general are so much better than pirating.
Also, the cost of storage for all that pirated material in HD was becoming exorbitant.

Uhm.. Or so I've been told.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
There is a large community that legally purchase physical discs and like to keep them stored digitally for ease of access (these rips are also much better quality than any streaming service offers), I do this myself.

Adding this stupid copy protection to discs does absolutely nothing to stop piracy and only hinders people who legitimately own the discs.

Glad the Russians have bypassed the new encryption.

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
Here's an idea - stop seeing piracy as the problem and rather a symptom of a problem.

I buy a Blu-ray once in a blue moon, and I think that applies to many people. If Hollywood licensed their films at lower fees and with less exclusivity they might find their revenues increase and people losing interest in piracy.

That's how streaming works. It may seem counterintuitive to think the music industry is better off taking R60 a month from us to access all the music available, but at the end of the day R720 a year is much more than most people used to spend on music.
If I take into account, Netflix costs me what, +- R130pm, And for the content i'm getting I am honestly very happy.
If they can manage to give us this amount of Movies & Series for a mere R130pm, Imagine what we will get if they charge R500pm (as an example)
Somehow everyone in Hollywood should come together and merge everything & all streaming services, Netflix, Prime, Hulu etc and create one premium streaming service. I will happily pay R500 pm for the latest movies & series if I can access them all from 1 platform. They can even add blockbuster/Cinema movies for an extra R200pm. This will not bankrupt cinema's as this will be a concern.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I did not even know this, I thought every HD rip we see today came from a streaming service somewhere. But ja, Well done crackers.....well done :crylaugh:
I think if you see HD-RIP it comes from some streaming service. You do find BDRIP tags on many movies.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
That was rather stupid of them to brag about AACS 2.0 encryption being unbreakable. NO encryption is unbreakable. AACS 2.1 was probably cracked 10 minutes after it was 1st used... If that long.

OCP

Expert Member
If I take into account, Netflix costs me what, +- R130pm, And for the content i'm getting I am honestly very happy.
If they can manage to give us this amount of Movies & Series for a mere R130pm, Imagine what we will get if they charge R500pm (as an example)
Somehow everyone in Hollywood should come together and merge everything & all streaming services, Netflix, Prime, Hulu etc and create one premium streaming service. I will happily pay R500 pm for the latest movies & series if I can access them all from 1 platform. They can even add blockbuster/Cinema movies for an extra R200pm. This will not bankrupt cinema's as this will be a concern.
While is understand what you are suggesting for the sake of having a single library to select/stream from; having a single provider/service would be an atrocious idea as it is the competition that is driving down costs and speeds up innovation.

We need more of that and less monopolies!

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
While is understand what you are suggesting for the sake of having a single library to select/stream from; having a single provider/service would be an atrocious idea as it is the competition that is driving down costs and speeds up innovation.

We need more of that and less monopolies!
I agree with what you are saying, but the issue (and this is already becoming an issue) is having multiple different platforms and I have to pay each of them individually. In America they have over 20 streaming providers (probably more), each showing specific content. This is the reason so many people are using Kodi, its so convenient.
I also do not think prices will go drastically if they do merge, if its to expensive people will still rather just use KODI for free. So they will have to keep costs reasonable for them to retain subscribers.
But Ja, I know this will never happen, HBO will tell Netflix to go F themselves, and probably vice versa :p, I just cant think of a better solution.