Bluetooth 5.1 lets you track devices down to a centimetre

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Bluetooth 5.1 lets you track devices down to a centimetre

The Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) has announced a new direction-finding feature for the Bluetooth 5.1 standard, which will greatly improve the technology's location services.

This new feature allows devices to track the direction of a Bluetooth signal, allowing for the development of proximity and positioning systems which are accurate down to the "centimetre-level".

sajunky

Honorary Master
Why it is made in the first place?
What if I don't want to be tracked?
Do I have an option to remove such feature?

NeoAcheron

I can add from experience, that these claims of tracking a device up to a centimeter's accuracy, is extremely bold. I've had a hand in developing time of flight distance measuring systems, it is not simple at all.

The use of something like this could extend far beyond simply "tracking you". It can be used in systems to provide indoor navigation systems. For instance in a big mall or an airport when you are looking for a very specific destination, this tech could be massively beneficial in finding your destination.

Another very cool real-world scenario would be to track items in a warehouse during manufacture, from boxes to forklifts and other robotics.

Obviously, this can also be used to track your whereabouts, but the big shopping malls already do that if you connect to their WiFi. If you don't want to use it, you can always turn it off. Another option is to simply not carry a device that tracks you. All android devices track your whereabouts, regardless if you have given permission or not. The permission you give is simply to have your identity associated with the data, instead of reporting it anonymously.

As for the concerns of battery usage, it is dependant on the implementation of the software algorithms that do the calculations. Bluetooth LE is an extremely low power variant of Bluetooth but still manages devices to have basic presence detection and can do more complex things like signal button presses, etc. Bluetooth LE beacons can run on a lithium coin cell for years.

I'm excited if it does work, it opens up a whole range of cool things that we can do in the world of IoT and AI.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Cos the CIA and MOSSAD want to know where you are at all times.
If you don't want to be tracked, you should just leave the modern world cos they don't care what you want
No you don't have an option to remove such a feature, it will be remotely re-activated.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Obviously, this can also be used to track your whereabouts, but the big shopping malls already do that if you connect to their WiFi. If you don't want to use it, you can always turn it off. Another option is to simply not carry a device that tracks you. All android devices track your whereabouts, regardless if you have given permission or not. The permission you give is simply to have your identity associated with the data, instead of reporting it anonymously.
There are couple of issues rasing my concern.

1. Tracking on cellular network has been implemented in the law couple years ago. Any cellphone sold in US has a mandatory A-GPS device.

2. Tracking WiFi devices had been implemented not in the law, but silently by including it in the standard, It is something people should protest, but didn't, so now we have #3 and #4.

3. A higlighted.

4. Tracking on the Bluetooth was not implemented so far, but it is now, as you kept silent when it was done on WiFi and on the Android by Google FoolPlay Services.

#3 and #4 seems to be a commecially driven, but a military is concerned. WWWIII is coming and every person on Earth must be positively identified (by a fingerprint or face ID), tracked to a milimeter, so selected targets can be eliminated by remotely controlled short range micro-missiles.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Lekker, that should work immensely well in smart home applications assume it doesn't rape the battery of course.

Crowley

Executive Member
WWWIII is coming and every person on Earth must be positively identified (by a fingerprint or face ID), tracked to a milimeter, so selected targets can be eliminated by remotely controlled short range micro-missiles.
saj.jpg

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
#3 and #4 seems to be a commecially driven, but a military is concerned. WWWIII is coming and every person on Earth must be positively identified (by a fingerprint or face ID), tracked to a milimeter, so selected targets can be eliminated by remotely controlled short range micro-missiles.
What a load of BS. Samsung developed tech to explode your phone a couple of years ago. The tracking is to make sure that there are no nearby friendlies

SpiderGear

You lot have obviously never lost an Apple TV remote. Replacing it is $$$!
I wish this was available last year when I needed it.