Bmw E90 320i vs Audi A4 B8/B8.5 1.8/2.0 tfsi

Mvu

My Audi A4 1.8T B8 currently has 330k kms. Yes there's been issues just like any car but I love it to bits

Desum

Is there much different between the b8 and the b8.5 in ownership costs? If not I may even lean towards it.

I've test driven both the E90 and B8.5 over the past week and I love both cars for different reasons.

Desum

My Audi A4 1.8T B8 currently has 330k kms. Yes there's been issues just like any car but I love it to bits
How many kms did it have at the time that you purchased and what kinds of issues have you had? Are you also having to constantly add oil?
E90 320d all day everyday
There aren't many E90 320d that I've seen available, most I've seen are 320i just like the one I drove last week.

pb41

Even the older Lexii are good buys, provided it hasn't been taken care of by an ******. But they didn't age well, and they look a bit dated.

I briefly looked at Volvo a bit more than a year ago (found an XC70 for R15k nearby, with a busted gearbox) but their finicky diagnostic systems (DICE and VIDA) and pricey parts put me off that idea. I'd love a nice V50 or XC70 with some spare cash in the bank for rainy days.

If you don't mind paying (a lot) for fuel, I'd go for a Ford Territory. An SUV that drives like a car. That Barra I6 motor is quite bulletproof, and parts are quite cheap for the most part. Only suspension parts are an issue, and most of them have to be imported from Australia. But that is true for most cars. The Santa Fe transfer box is a known issue, and is a R30k part, for example.

But I digress. OP seems to want a German sedan, which are plentiful on the car websites, provided you have a nice rainy day fund for the inevitable issues that comes with Teutonic executive sedans.
With the Santa Fe transfer box being such a well-known and common problem, how have Hyundai managed to avoid a recall or class action suit to replace them.

Mvu

How many kms did it have at the time that you purchased and what kinds of issues have you had? Are you also having to constantly add oil?

There aren't many E90 320d that I've seen available, most I've seen are 320i just like the one I drove last week.
I got it at around 140k kms

Issues such as engine running lean, running rich, control arms... having to do preventative maintenance such as carbon build-up blasting, injector cleaning, decating, timing chain... I got myself a scanning tool so I can diagnose/pickup any issues before car breaks down.

Because I do my own oil change I never have to top up.

I'd say go for the B8.5 because its supposed to better than the B8 (I have a B8) and they supposed to have revised problematic stuff. Screenshot_20211012-044134_Gallery.jpg

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
With the Santa Fe transfer box being such a well-known and common problem, how have Hyundai managed to avoid a recall or class action suit to replace them.

Probably the same way Land Rover did it with their TDV6 engine grenades.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
How did you people manage to squeeze in some sideshow about SUVs? First warning to cease and desist, this is a sedan thread, take your SUV discussions somewhere.

berrypi

go with the lexus. If maintenance is a concern. Those cars are fantastic. The optima or sonata are also great. luxury sedan and low maintenance are not mentioned in the same sentence as the german brands - fact.
E90 320d are great, go for LCi.

The Darkness

Expert Member

Where are you based? I might be selling mine. Dm me

Instacar

Buy an Alfa, you will learn so many technical things in your years of ownership, because it will break things that you didn't even know existed in a car, but on the days that it is not breaking, it will bring you soo much joy!!

Captain Beer

Executive Member
I got it at around 140k kms

Issues such as engine running lean, running rich, control arms... having to do preventative maintenance such as carbon build-up blasting, injector cleaning, decating, timing chain... I got myself a scanning tool so I can diagnose/pickup any issues before car breaks down.

Because I do my own oil change I never have to top up.

I'd say go for the B8.5 because its supposed to better than the B8 (I have a B8) and they supposed to have revised problematic stuff. View attachment 1165066

I have to wonder if the previous owner was one of the lucky ones who had the rings and pistons replaced on goodwill from VWSA.