BMW stereo aftermarket upgrade

Doom5003

I have a E87 with the stock Business headunit and looking to upgrade to an aftermarket unit.
Would the be any coding that needs to be done after the upgrade or should everything just work afterwards?
Ill be doing the install myself, since it doesn't seem to be rocket science.

And secondly, to my knowledge, if you take the car for service to a BMW shop, the factory unit as to be install, does the same count if you where to take the car a non-BMW service centre? Can a BMW even be services at a non-BMW service centre?

CT_Biker

Expert Member
I have a E87 with the stock Business headunit and looking to upgrade to an aftermarket unit.
Would the be any coding that needs to be done after the upgrade or should everything just work afterwards?
Ill be doing the install myself, since it doesn't seem to be rocket science.

And secondly, to my knowledge, if you take the car for service to a BMW shop, the factory unit as to be install, does the same count if you where to take the car a non-BMW service centre? Can a BMW even be services at a non-BMW service centre?
It is integrated to the cars CAN-bus network. It would be best for you to check with BMW if it will affect anything.

Doom5003

It is integrated to the cars CAN-bus network. It would be best for you to check with BMW if it will affect anything.
Hope someone here has had first-hand exp or maybe even work at BMW and can shed some light.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Hope someone here has had first-hand exp or maybe even work at BMW and can shed some light.
I used to dabble in vehicle flashing etc. The cars management system is way more complicated than simply plug and play. I would suggest checking with your OEM if the product you bought is compatible with your vehicle and what options you do have.

Simply going to Soundmatch or where ever is not going to cut it.

thehuman

Expert Member
Best bet is to disconnect tho oem radio and then see what not working no more .
Aftermarket radio will only be a radio , no steering controls etc.

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
Fairly straightforward, although you will need a wiring harness.

If you want integration with the steering wheel, gets more complicated, as it needs to be supported on the Head Unit, or you add in some hardware to talk BMW proprietary -> normal standards.

I did this on my E90 a few years ago.

Personally I wouldn't bother, its a waste of money.
Buy a Bluetooth receiver (cheap), plug it into the audio input, then bluetooth from your phone.