Boeing crisis grows as Singapore and Australia ground 737 Max 8

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Boeing crisis grows as Singapore and Australia ground 737 Max 8

Boeing Co. is facing a growing crisis of confidence over its 737 Max jet, as regulators and airlines from Singapore to Australia move to ground or block the plane following two deadly crashes in five months.

A day after U.S. regulators stood by the jet’s airworthiness, airlines and aviation authorities from South America to Asia instead opted for a zero-risk approach.

[Bloomberg]

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Good. Boeing needs to man-up to this s**t. There is clearly a problem on the aircraft and they need to fix it. Whether it take months or years, whether there are billions or trillions in losses. Nothing can replace a human life lost in an aircraft accident.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Good. Boeing needs to man-up to this s**t. There is clearly a problem on the aircraft and they need to fix it. Whether it take months or years, whether there are billions or trillions in losses. Nothing can replace a human life lost in an aircraft accident.
Boeing actually have manned up to this issue that caused the first crash....
We still need to find out if this is a similar issue (even though you seem to think it is)

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
We still need to find out if this is a similar issue (even though you seem to think it is)
Oh, so Boeing asked all airliners to temporarily ground the aircraft until the issue is solved.... I seemed to have missed that article. Please link me there.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Well if the issue isn't related (and the eye witness statements seem to indicate that it isn't), why would Boeing want the fleet grounded?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Oh, so Boeing asked all airliners to temporarily ground the aircraft until the issue is solved.... I seemed to have missed that article. Please link me there.
Precise cause of the issue hasn't been established yet. I believe if it points to one of the flight control systems, they'd act accordingly.

MEIOT

Can't agree less. There are lots of things can can replace a life lost - billions and trillions spring to mind initially.

There's always a silver lining - think of this as a means of controlling (marginally) the runaway population growth :X3:

I'm calling Pilot Error - it usually is. I have complete faith in the engineering aspects of the plane :D

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Well if the issue isn't related (and the eye witness statements seem to indicate that it isn't), why would Boeing want the fleet grounded?
I think that part has already been dealt with on this forum and some expert pilots already said that the eyewitness events may even confirm that the incidents are indeed related. A flame-out on the engines may actually cause the smoke that would look like the plane being on fire to a person not familiar with planes and flying. So, nothing can be ruled out as yet.

whatwhat

Executive Member
So you're willing to risk you or other people's lives trying to see if that is the case?

Grant

Honorary Master
Can't agree less. There are lots of things can can replace a life lost - billions and trillions spring to mind initially.

There's always a silver lining - think of this as a means of controlling (marginally) the runaway population growth :X3:
these lives - would include that of your own parents and children ?

Grant

Honorary Master
One man told the BBC that the plane had dropped straight from the sky, with no visible flames before impact
nose up, nose down, nose up, nose down . . . .

Screen shot 2019-03-12 at 12.23.46 PM.jpg

Grant

Honorary Master
I'm not in the habit of living in the what-if world filled with hypothetical scenarios
right . .
so this, would not apply to yourself - only others:

There's always a silver lining - think of this as a means of controlling (marginally) the runaway population growth

werny

Expert Member
Scary thing is that there's currently 85 of them flying across the world (just checked flightradar24), would shat myself if I was on one of them.... o_O

No thanks, rather put me on an old 737-400.

Hansolo

Hey wasn't Boning involved in the big push for diversity recently? Probably not related though? Maybe next time try and push for qualified personal instead? Mmkay?

ForceFate

Honorary Master

I'm calling Pilot Error - it usually is. I have complete faith in the engineering aspects of the plane :D
You'd have a valid point if this was the first aviation accident ever. Or the first in the series.

JimM

Expert Member
The UK has just stopped all flights of Boeing 737 800 Max and banned any such aircraft from its airspace!

Jola

Honorary Master
UK have also banned all 737 MAX flights over it's territory.

IMO Boeing have dropped the ball on this one, they should have taken more definitive action after the first case.

I know that they have been working on new firmware but maybe they should have considered grounding the type.

I wonder what triggers this nose-down behaviour, it clearly does not happen on every flight ? May well be the sensor problem mentioned in the first incident.

So a combination of bad software, defective sensors, and inadequate redundancy ? And inadequate pilot training and instructions.

But all of this implies major procedural problems at Boeing.

Last edited: