Booking.com has more non-hotel listings than Airbnb

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Using booking.com extensively at the moment. Booked a combination of hotels and apartments in France.

Can't say I'm impressed with Airbnb, they keep adding tons of random fees, worst was one of 1300pn.. three nights final total, R13000.

SA-UK

Banned
I've used booking.com for years...whilst i lived in UK. No complaints, plus saved my butt on quite a few occassions when i needed to find somewhere at a moments notice on my travels.

Then Airbnb arrived...initially a good concept.
Fast forward a few yrs.. in reality prices are often now so ridiculous as every Tom, Sue and Fanny look to rent out their maids room/spareroom/whatever for whatever price they decide they can get.
And yes, their fees s*ck.
Up to 20% if you include cleaning which is usually overpriced.

Uber is next.

B@rrels

Expert Member
I have a self catering 2 sleeper cottage and 99.9% of my bookings come from Booking.com.In 5 years i have had 3 bookings from Airbnb and then when you get paid the balance owing it comes from overseas which attracts bank charges...not a fan of Airbnb.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
I've used booking.com for years...whilst i lived in UK. No complaints, plus saved my butt on quite a few occassions when i needed to find somewhere at a moments notice on my travels.

Fast forward a few yrs.. in reality prices are often now so ridiculous as every Tom, Sue and Fanny look to rent out their maids room/spareroom/whatever for whatever price they decide they can get.

Uber is next.
Uber has been subsidizing their drivers since inception. I wonder how bad the price is going to be when they can that.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
AirBnB vs non-Hotel? Really?

Here is what London looks like on bookings.com

BnB.JPG

Basically anything that isn't an actual major chain hotel is non-hotel...so yeah that is a lot of things.

Uber has been subsidizing their drivers since inception.
lol. They subsidise customers not drivers

SA-UK

Banned
Uber has been subsidizing their drivers since inception.
says who? subsidizing what exactly? what benefits do they receive from their employer?

I have been told by numerous local Uber drivers their fees + charges from Uber per km are in the 20-25% range.
I can well believe that.

As an aside..Uber has been banned from London.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...l-concerns-vows-keep-operating-london-licence

"In a separate dispute, Uber will on Wednesday challenge a tribunal ruling over the employment status of its drivers, which lawyers say is also a public safety issue. Uber is attempting to overturn a landmark ruling that its drivers are workers, with rights to paid holiday and the minimum wage."

And more recently..

Uber loses appeal in UK employment rights case

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/10/uber-loses-appeal-employment-rights-workers

These corporates are all the same.

Last edited:

Spliffcat

Executive Member

Uber is next.
Airbnb is useless. Prices change all the time. They take an average of an area, instead of quoting the owners rate.
So between getting a price from the owner and this company the range can vary to a significant amount. Especially if chatting to your mate, who paid $100 and you paid $250. Be careful.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I found most of the places on both sites, booking.com was consistently cheaper.

airborne

Honorary Master
Airbnb is useless. Prices change all the time. They take an average of an area, instead of quoting the owners rate.
So between getting a price from the owner and this company the range can vary to a significant amount. Especially if chatting to your mate, who paid $100 and you paid $250. Be careful.
How does that work I thought the owners set the price?

Wait I just remembered now I helped someone recently set up a Airbnb profile and I remember there was something like highest and lowest price, something like ubers surge pricing, they will raise your price as demand increases or drop it if it decreases, that was an option though, you could choose to rather set a fixed price.

Last edited: