Border's rugby goalposts stolen

MickeyD

RIP
The Border Rugby Union was forced to borrow rugby poles from a nearby club after its goalposts were stolen.

The Border Bulldogs, who play in the Currie Cup First Division, play their home matches at the Buffalo City Stadium in East London. It was formerly known as the Basil Kenyon Stadium.

According to the DispatchLive website, the Bulldogs had to play two games using poles from the Sisa Dukashe Stadium in the nearby Mdantsane township.

It is believed that the poles were stolen on August 15 after being taken down following a match. The poles reportedly disappeared from the storage facility.

“Because the stadium was booked for a social event, we took down the posts and they were stolen that weekend,” said stadium facilities manager Akhona Mgijima.

Mgijima said when it was noticed that the poles were missing a case was opened with East London police.

The uprights were recovered following swift police action the following Monday at a scrap metal company in East London.

More here: http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/CurrieCup/Borders-rugby-goalposts-stolen-20150917

ajv

Swift action in East London ? Must have changed a lot since I grew up there and moved away :D

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
I think someone took the phrase "moving the goalposts" a little too literally.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Remember when we used to joke that they'd steal the nails if something was nailed down?
Not that funny anymore.

A few years ago I worked on a navigation project for a Anglo American mine. All vehicles on the mine needed a terminal that showed their position as well as any vehicles around them. The big equipment was easy - we used a generic industrial spec tablet used for other systems.
For cars it was tricky. They finally settled on this Taiwanese made mill spec PDA. The OS was horrible (windows CE), but the hardware was IP67 and NATO grade. Waterproof, dustproof, impact resistant, could handle up to 86 degrees heat. You could throw it at a brick wall, go pick it up and it would still be working.
So we fitted the first few models into some mine bakkies.

They stole it.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master

Not a clue - but by the end of the week all 4 were gone from their mounts. Mine security suspected that someone had mistaken them for cellphones. (Big, green, about the size of two paperback novels, with these ugly rubber bumpers.)

After that we had to put them in custom mounts that were directly bolted to the chassis. Completely destroyed the original concept.