Boris Johnson has coronavirus: PM tests positive for disease as crisis grips the UK

flippakitten

Expert Member
You do go also for concerns. If they wanted to move him into an area he can be monitored in, have the heart rate and oxygen saturations monitored with the possibility if later things get worse more invasive ventilation they would have done so, especially for such a VIP. ICU has a nurse per bed with a nursing station nearby and telemetry. A private room in a ward would not have that.

So basically he needs intensive care then. (they were happy when he sat up by himself, so yeah, it's bad)

Mirai

So basically he needs intensive care then. (they were happy when he sat up by himself, so yeah, it's bad)

There is intensive monitoring and there is intensive care such as being on a ventilator, ECMO, IABP, etc. Also if he stats to deteriorate they don't have to move him then. It's just more friendly for a VIP and head of government.

flippakitten

Expert Member
There is intensive monitoring and there is intensive care such as being on a ventilator, ECMO, IABP, etc. Also if he stats to deteriorate they don't have to move him then. It's just more friendly for a VIP and head of government.

Now you're just making stuff up... intensive monitoring? I've been to intensive, high and critical care wards on many occassions. People in intensive care need to be there because they require intensive care (monitoring because one is very sick is intensive care).

Boris was in bad shape, hence intensive care. I have no clue what you're trying to spin here. Boris was very sick, the end.

In some better news, seems like he's getting better, which is good.
Even though I have a lot to say about his idiotic failed policy, it's not nice for anyone to get that sick and have to go to hospital. Also, a lot of people need him emotionally.

Once this is all over we can start pointing fingers and holding people to account.

Mirai

Now you're just making stuff up... intensive monitoring? I've been to intensive, high and critical care wards on many occassions. People in intensive care need to be there because they require intensive care (monitoring because one is very sick is intensive care).

Definitely not making stuff up. One can be in ICU or critical care or high care or whatever one calls it, it's all down to what local people call it and it can all be just as a precaution. So telemetry, sats, and a dedicated nursing sister close by. If you're sick, say in septic shock or ARDS or multi organ failure or heart failure or in medically induced coma etc .. that will require ICU definitively with proper care, you know I'm sure what those entail.

Doctors often put people in high care or ICU as a precaution.

I'm not spinning nothing. I'm just saying how it is in practice.

flippakitten

Expert Member
Definitely not making stuff up. One can be in ICU or critical care or high care or whatever one calls it, it's all down to what local people call it and it can all be just as a precaution. So telemetry, sats, and a dedicated nursing sister close by. If you're sick, say in septic shock or ARDS or multi organ failure or heart failure or in medically induced coma etc .. that will require ICU definitively with proper care, you know I'm sure what those entail.

Doctors often put people in high care or ICU as a precaution.

I'm not spinning nothing. I'm just saying how it is in practice.

The names do change with location somewhat but there are separate wards for ICU/Critical(ie Panorama ICU Ward I) and High Care (ie Panorama - High Care Ward R).

High care is where you go as a precaution. In times like these you're only in ICU if you need to be in ICU, there is simply not enough ICU beds in UK, they're sending confirmed cases of old people home to die and care homes won't take them.

Fact remains Boris was not put there as a precaution, he was put there because he needed to be there.

Mirai

The names do change with location somewhat but there are separate wards for ICU/Critical(ie Panorama ICU Ward I) and High Care (ie Panorama - High Care Ward R).

High care is where you go as a precaution. In times like these you're only in ICU if you need to be in ICU, there is simply not enough ICU beds in UK, they're sending confirmed cases of old people home to die and care homes won't take them.

Fact remains Boris was not put there as a precaution, he was put there because he needed to be there.

You quote me Mediclinic as though that's the only thing this world has to offer. Names are used interchangably.

ICU/HCU/CCU/etc can all be used as precaution depending on what's available and what's most convenient for a PM who still has to be in contact with his government. LOL.

I won't argue this further.

Sure he could be deteriorating a bit but it doesn't mean they're calling the anesthesiologist to tube him.

flippakitten

Expert Member
You quote me Mediclinic as though that's the only thing this world has to offer. Names are used interchangably.

ICU/HCU/CCU/etc can all be used as precaution depending on what's available and what's most convenient for a PM who still has to be in contact with his government. LOL.

I won't argue this further.

Sure he could be deteriorating a bit but it doesn't mean they're calling the anesthesiologist to tube him.

I chose it because it was the first hospital to successfully do a heart transplant... It's also the easiest example.

Boris was sick to the point he needed to be in ICU, for intensive care, you're trying to side step that.
They were happy to announce he could sit up by himself yesterday...

Are you honestly going to tell me ICU was just a precaution, he was required to be there so they could give him intensive care ie. constantly monitoring stats to see if the oxygen was having a positive effect. That is STILL requiring intensive care.

Boris Jonson was in ICU because his condition was serous enough to warrant it. I have not once mentioned intubation.

cerebus

Honorary Master

Very good news indeed.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's condition "continues to improve" after his third night in intensive care with the coronavirus, his official spokesman said Thursday.

Johnson was continuing to receive "standard oxygen treatment" and thanked health staff for their brilliant care, the spokesman said.
"(Johnson) had a good night and continues to improve," the spokesman added. "He's in good spirits."

Mirai

I chose it because it was the first hospital to successfully do a heart transplant... It's also the easiest example.

Boris was sick to the point he needed to be in ICU, for intensive care, you're trying to side step that.
They were happy to announce he could sit up by himself yesterday...

Are you honestly going to tell me ICU was just a precaution, he was required to be there so they could give him intensive care ie. constantly monitoring stats to see if the oxygen was having a positive effect. That is STILL requiring intensive care.

Boris Jonson was in ICU because his condition was serous enough to warrant it. I have not once mentioned intubation.

Yes I will 100% say that. Many docs do that sort of thing. BoJo is not some guy in a 1000 bed, 2 ventilator hospital in a third world country but PM of one of the richest nations on earth. They're gonna keep him there as a precaution on nasal prong oxygen and a sats probe on his finger, with maybe ECG telemetry. Probably in his own private room.

To see if oxygen is having a positive effect they're gonna have a sats probe on his finger, at best a sensor will measure his respiratory rate, ECG will be recorded and blood pressure will be measured maybe every 2 hours or so.

Jings

Treasure Maker
Sounds like he's out of the woods. He needs to it easy and not stress about his work until he's clear from the virus.

flippakitten

Expert Member
Sad news for the haters:

Well, it is a good thing. It's not nice that anyone should have to go through being that sick and lot of people need him, if he had not made it they would have completely lost their s^%t.

I just hope it's knocked some sense into him and he fixes the absolute disaster the NHS is in with the lack of PPE.
Also hope they realize their failure in the lack of testing and actually do something about it.

Fargle

Is anyone else finding it strange how many famous people are getting it?
What I find strange is how everyone simply believes it.
Like dear Charles, Boris will be out and about soon enough.
If there weren't any famous people getting 'it' the sheep wouldn't have cause for alarm...

losta

You mean that he didn't die from it? That he's now immune to it and can continue on shaking hands?
If he suffers survivor bias he can end up knuckling down on it.

Dunno, what I hear it was a very close call for BJ

Must have left an impressium