Boris Johnson: No more masks and back to the office as Plan B restrictions removed

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Wow, triggered much? :ROFL:
Boris-Johnson-Conservativ-008.jpg

surface

Honorary Master
I don't see Bojo going anywhere - didn't he survive alleged billion pounds worth of PPE scandal? This is nothing. If he does, who is the next in line though?

Dave

Honorary Master

Police to investigate Downing Street parties over potential lockdown breaches, Met Police Commissioner Cressida Dick confirms

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Dave

Honorary Master
I don't see Bojo going anywhere - didn't he survive alleged billion pounds worth of PPE scandal?

The PPE scandal didn't affect grassroots voters directly but everyone has had to miss a birthday party or had an old, sick or dying family member or friend they couldn't go visit and feels personally insulted by BoJo's personal indifference to the rules. This is far more likely to bring him down than any other issue as voters mob their MPs with complaints (which is already being reported as happening).

bridgeburner

There isn't a "next in line" but Rishi Sunak is probably the least insane choice.
Indeed.. likely between Sunak and Truss.

Question: lets say Boris is removed, would they be obligated to call a general election? I feel like the Tories would want to avoid that all costs given the polls at the moment

Dave

Honorary Master

Question: lets say Boris is removed, would they be obligated to call a general election? I feel like the Tories would want to avoid that all costs given the polls at the moment

No, there is no obligation to hold an election.

JayM

Expert Member

Nope, no general election required. The Conservative party MPs will nominate and then vote for a new leader, who will become PM.

Dave

Honorary Master
Nope, no general election required. The Conservative party MPs will nominate and then vote for a new leader, who will become PM.

Almost right but you've missed a step, Jay.

The MPs vote until there are two candidates left then the party membership is balloted on which of the two final candidates they prefer.