Botswana scraps gay sex laws in big victory for LGBTQ rights in Africa

Spizz

Goat Botherer
So sorry that you had to read about this story...

Hope you were not too traumatized visualizing in graphic detail the sexual acts that two consenting men practice in the privacy of their bedroom.
I’ll bet he has no such trouble with two consenting females.

Praeses

Expert Member
So sorry that you had to read about this story...

Hope you were not too traumatized visualizing in graphic detail the sexual acts that two consenting men practice in the privacy of their bedroom.
I think you need to explain the details a bit further just in case the article couldn't stimulate such thoughts :D

yebocan

Executive Member
Complete B.S.
They have been independent and democratically elected for 50+ years, they could have gotten rid of it if the people wanted to.

Also using the terms conquered and subjugated don't really apply to Botswana. The protectorate was formed at the behest of the tribal leaders because they didn't want to be invaded by the Boers or the Germans.
The British pretty much left them alone.
https://www.mercatus.org/system/files/Explaining_Botswanas_Success.pdf
maybe some other time, not today.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Apparently bigger woman are a thing in African culture....
Not for the former president.

The slim, fit-looking president of Botswana -- considered one of Africa's most eligible bachelors -- says he is finally ready to get married but made it clear that overweight women need not apply.

President Ian Khama, 57, has never been married, but at a political party meeting last month he said his top requirement for a future wife is that she needs to be tall, slim and beautiful – in a country known for short, heavy set women.

To drive the point home he pointed to the Assistant Minister of Local Government Botlhogile Tshreletso and said, "I don't want one like this one. She may fail to pass through the door, breaking furniture with her heavy weight and even break the vehicle's shock absorbers."

konfab

Honorary Master

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Interestingly, it also became anti-pedo once the Christians showed up as well if you want to go on the evidence that article provides.
http://www.arcados.ch/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/MURRAY-ROSCOE-BOY-WIVES-FEMALE-HUSBANDS-98.pdf
Ja....tell that to the catholic altar boys.

Anyway, I was merely pointing out to @Pitbull that Africa has a long history of homosexuality. Dont know why pedophilia has to be brought into it. Many ancient cultures have a history of it. It is hardly news.

konfab

Honorary Master
We are not talking about the Catholics.

Anyway, I was merely pointing out to @Pitbull that Africa has a long history of homosexuality. Dont know why pedophilia has to be brought into it. Many ancient cultures have a history of it. It is hardly news.
Firstly, this is a discussion of historical facts, it bears nothing as to whether the state in 2019, the year of our Lord and Saviour Donald Trump, should make homosexuality illegal or not. (The state shouldn't btw).

It should be bought into it when you want to use the history as evidence of how evil and nasty Christians were. You can't just exclude a portion of it because it is uncomfortable.

Why I said it was interesting was because it could most likely explain why there was a link between homosexuality and pedophillia. From what that book said, male-male homosexual relationships almost exclusively had a large age gap between the people concerned (somewhat like it is today if I am not mistaken), whereas heterosexual relationships would favour younger woman (because of fertility), but it wouldn't be exclusive to it.

Thus a correlative association could be seen. If there was a homosexual relationship, it would usually have been pedophillic, the same could not be said for heterosexual relationships.

This type of thing also occurred in Greece, so it seems to be a cross cultural phenomena.

To re-iterate the point, this argument explains the historical connotation. It doesn't apply to today.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
It should be bought into it when you want to use the history as evidence of how evil and nasty Christians were.
I did not say that in this conversation with @Pitbull

I was just pointing out that Africa had a history of homosexuality and since the christians arrived that is when it was formally made against the law and forbidden. But if you want to go down the homo = pedo ... then go for it. I have been down that road with others on this forum and frankly I am gatvol of it. Enjoy