Botswana scraps gay sex laws in big victory for LGBTQ rights in Africa

rietrot

Honorary Master

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I don't buy that conclusion. The only evidence is that words existed for gay people. No evidence is presented that it was tolerated more or less than with Christianity.
The author has a obvious bias.
What counter evidence do you have?

Jabulani22

One could supply evidence of religion making africa more intolerant , now if only we had some form of written history documenting life before Christians showed up.......

rietrot

Honorary Master
One could supply evidence of religion making africa more intolerant , now if only we had some form of written history documenting life before Christians showed up.......
There's no question that the extreme cases of fire and brimstone Christianity can be extremely intolerant. I don't think that was the brand of Christianity spread at first by missionaries, lone missionaries tend to be quite liberal, unlike crusaders that convert by force that people might think of. What makes the most sense is that Africa already had extremely conservative(in their own way) monarchies. This is still evident today with the cultural aspects regarding respect for elders and so forth. That doesn't go well with the idea that they were openly and proudly gay.

konfab

Honorary Master
I don't buy that conclusion. The only evidence is that words existed for gay people. No evidence is presented that it was tolerated more or less than with Christianity.
The author has a obvious bias.
If you want to hold the view that being gay is not a choice and is a consequence of biology, then there must be an evolutionary force behind it. The custom of polygamy (or the social position of an alpha male that takes most of the females) to my mind would be such a force.

If you want to hold the view that being gay is not a choice and is a consequence of biology, then there must be an evolutionary force behind it. The custom of polygamy (or the social position of an alpha male that takes most of the females) to my mind would be such a force.
Polygamy was only allowed under certain circumstances.

Of course Africa wasn't one homogeneous society so, I don't speak for the rest of the continent.