Bottleshop is gone - took everyone's cash

Dolby

Honorary Master
Whether the owner pulled a quick one, I'm not sure - but they are gone. Plenty of people placed orders with them in January that were just not delivered and they have disappeared with the money.

I have a R1,000 gift voucher that I recieved about 7 months back that appears useless.

My question is - if they liquidated, how does everyone approach the liquidators to see if they can get anything back? Is there any other recourse?

Mr Smooth

They used to send me loads of emails during November and December. Wonder if this was a scam to get as much money as possible and then just disappear?

Dolby

Honorary Master
I hate a company that takes cash and knowingly can't deliver. So although they were legit, and at the end it sounds exactly like you say... Take cash and leave without a trace.

Akasha

Executive Member
I bought from them on Black Friday, luckily I got my order in Dec

EADC

Executive Member
I don't want to be a dick and people lost money but unless you buying something really niche, one thing we as South Africans are blessed with is a bottle store on every corner why do you need to buy online?

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
I don't want to be a dick and people lost money but unless you buying something really niche, one thing we as South Africans are blessed with is a bottle store on every corner why do you need to buy online?
Buying something decently nice that isn't stocked by the bottlestore next the the checkers, and not having to go to Makro.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Mine was a gift voucher bought for me - I have no idea what the rest bought.

But back in 2017/2018 they did have a few niche items that bottle stores didn't really have. But I see recently even the Makro etc are jumping on the whiskey/gin bandwagon.

Quad

But back in 2017/2018 they did have a few niche items that bottle stores didn't really have. But I see recently even the Makro etc are jumping on the whiskey/gin bandwagon.
Makro has been stocking decent hisky for years now. Also, there's NGF who are heavily into whisky.

Anyway, why use these fly-by-nights when there's reputable, niche dealers out there such as WhiskyBrother, Wild About Whisky and Bottega.

That being said, I spent over R11K at bottleshop over the years, including R6k on a bottle of Ardbeg Gallileo.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Makro has been stocking decent hisky for years now. Also, there's NGF who are heavily into whisky.

Anyway, why use these fly-by-nights when there's reputable, niche dealers out there such as WhiskyBrother, Wild About Whisky and Bottega.

That being said, I spent over R11K at bottleshop over the years, including R6k on a bottle of Ardbeg Gallileo.
I think I registered with them when I was trying to get Nikka - and those other guys didn't have at the time as there was a stock shortage of Red and Black. And now they've discontinued altogether :(

EADC

Executive Member

Wasn't meaning you specifically I get you had a voucher. Meaning in general especially the ones complaining on hello Peter

Dolby

Honorary Master
Wasn't meaning you specifically I get you had a voucher. Meaning in general especially the ones complaining on hello Peter
Oh yea.

I'm not sure what they bought ... but I agree with you that everything they sold was 'normal' and as you say, could be bought anywhere. Plus with shipping it made everything at Bottleshop more expensive.

I was waiting for something (anything!) unique or well priced with my voucher