Boy, 6, dies after being bitten 72 times by Rottweilers

Shaun108

Executive Member
Cape Town – A grieving family in Hillview, Seawinds, and their neighbours are reeling in shock after two Rottweilers mauled a 6-year-old boy to death in their full view.

Uriel Ockhuis, 6, of 32 Gladiola Street, Hillview, was playing with friends around the block in Rose Street when he was attacked by two Rottweilers.

The boy’s traumatised adult brother, Morne Ockhuis, older sister Stacey-Lee Adams, neighbour Rachel Waterloo and bystanders tried to help, but to no avail. He was bitten 72 times.

“It will take some time before I can say how I feel because I’m still in shock,” said Morne.

Distraught, Waterloo said Uriel had been lying on his stomach screaming for help when they arrived and “the dogs wouldn’t let go of him”.

Adams said: “When we got to hospital with Uriel I couldn’t bear to look at him because I was too heartsore. There are a lot of people here who have been traumatised by what they saw. He would have started going to school next year.”

SAPS Captain FC van Wyk said Muizenberg police responded to the call at about 6.45pm.

“The victim was taken to a hospital (in Retreat) by neighbours and was declared dead on arrival. An inquest docket has been registered at Muizenberg SAPS,” said Van Wyk.

Anyone with information can contact the investigating officer, Detective Milicent Teichardt, at 0824112455 or Crime Stop 08600 10111.

Cape Times

https://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/news/boy-6-dies-after-being-bitten-72-times-by-rottweilers-18383405

konfab

Honorary Master

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Stupid question, but could the adult bystanders not do anything? I have luckily never had to intervene in a dogfight, but I was thinking that if I did, I would ram my fingers as hard as I could into the dogs eye sockets. Would that work?

I don't mean to sound cruel to animals, but if a dog was attacking me or another human, I would not hesitate to kill or attempt to kill the dog.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I was sent a video this morning, probably someone thought it was important to take the video instead of doing something meaningful to try and save the boy.

R4ziel

I would love to know who counted the times he was bitten, maybe they were so pre-occupied with accurate reporting that they forgot to help?

SYNERGY

Executive Member
In full view, really? people are so afraid of SPCA and animal lovers that no one thought of doing something like throwing a stone or something to save the boy's life?
I've seen someone stab a rottie and the dog still did not let go...

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
You get more bonus points if you record and upload. It's the cool thing to do.

Helping someone in distress is very risky.

Mista_Mobsta

I was sent a video this morning, probably someone thought it was important to take the video instead of doing something meaningful to try and save the boy.
I find this type of action absolutely deplorable! I understand that some people are terrified of Rotty's but I sure as hell wouldn't have stood by and done nothing...never mind film the whole spectacle! Makes my blood boil...

RIP little one...strongs to the family

animehero

Feck man, that's depressing.
I cant even begin to imagine the horror and fear that little boy felt.
Thats why I dont take my eyes off the little ones around any animals

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I've seen someone stab a rottie and the dog still did not let go...
So maybe I am just saying this because I am behind a keyboard and not faced with a horrifying situation, but if it was me I think I would go ape sh one tee with the knife and cut the dog to pieces until it stopped moving. I wouldn't just stab once and then wait and see, I'd slice the neck muscles to pieces.

SYNERGY

Executive Member
So maybe I am just saying this because I am behind a keyboard and not faced with a horrifying situation, but if it was me I think I would go ape sh one tee with the knife and cut the dog to pieces until it stopped moving. I wouldn't just stab once and then wait and see, I'd slice the neck muscles to pieces.
Same.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Stupid question, but could the adult bystanders not do anything? I have luckily never had to intervene in a dogfight, but I was thinking that if I did, I would ram my fingers as hard as I could into the dogs eye sockets. Would that work?

I don't mean to sound cruel to animals, but if a dog was attacking me or another human, I would not hesitate to kill or attempt to kill the dog.
I've had to intervene in a dog fight unfortunately and the normal levels of physical abuse just don't work to be honest, the dog has gone into fight mode....
I have found large volumes of water act as a very temporary halt to the event, usually enough time to seperate the dog/dogs and hold it down.

AdrianH

Expert Member
In full view, really? people are so afraid of SPCA and animal lovers that no one thought of doing something like throwing a stone or something to save the boy's life?

I grew up with 2 Ridgebacks, a Doberman and a Rottweiler. They once got into a big fight. Shouting, hitting, water did nothing. The only thing that stopped them was a gun shot, the noise startled them enough to get them separated. I still have the scar on my hand when the one dog bit me while we were trying to separate them.

As for ramming fingers into eyes, or sticking fingers up bums, its easier said than done. Chances are if you succeed, the next instance you will be on bitten from the dog you just poked. When they fight like this, the dogs are all over the place, snapping and snarling, sticking your hands in is not a good idea (i know) Anybody who has been involved with large dogs fighting aggressively, its actually very scary and can be difficult to stop them.

I've had to intervene in a dog fight unfortunately and the normal levels of physical abuse just don't work to be honest, the dog has gone into fight mode....
I have found large volumes of water act as a very temporary halt to the event, usually enough time to seperate the dog/dogs and hold it down.
I concur