Boy, 6, dies after being bitten 72 times by Rottweilers

Pitbull

Verboten
yes, I remember a thread where two pitbulls attacked some burglars... I'm sure the responses were different from the same people here.
Why would I let the dogs kill a person and stand there and watch it happen? Unless it's in defense of myself in my house. Even then I would save their life if I could. Not going to risk my own to do it though and not going to shoot my dogs for defending us. You seem to have a problem with understanding the difference...

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Why would I let the dogs kill a person and stand there and watch it happen? Unless it's in defense of myself in my house. Even then I would save their life if I could. Not going to risk my own to do it though and not going to shoot my dogs for defending us. You seem to have a problem with understanding the difference...
I understand that perfectly.

I just think the response was different before..

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
As far as I'm concerned all civil discourse with you went out the window the moment you brought up puerile comments like me being triggered.

Good day to you sir.

/tips bowler hat
Triggered !

You just proved the point LOL

Pitbull

Verboten
I understand that perfectly.

I just think the response was different before..
By all means. I would also cheer if a perp is dead by mauling. Doesn't mean I would let it happen if I can stop it though.

lived666

Executive Member
A dog's weak point is that their front legs cannot spread very wide. Very little pressure applied to spread them wide will break a bone or dislocate, then you have a disabled dog.

The challenge is how to approach the dog to do so....
Sort of what he says .
You approach the dog from the back and grab their back legs and lift and pull. This method will separate most dogs in a fight - never go for the front which is instinct but you will probably lose a hand or a finger or two.

Anyhow you would have to brave and quite strong to do this with a strange rottweiler but if it's attacking a child I would hope not to hesitate in that situation.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
By all means. I would also cheer if a perp is dead by mauling. Doesn't mean I would let it happen if I can stop it though.
Its easy to say you would intervene with a 6 year old - most would.

Would you shoot your own dog over a burglar ? Thats a bit harder to answer.

Pitbull

Verboten
Its easy to say you would intervene with a 6 year old - most would.

Would you shoot your own dog over a burglar ? Thats a bit harder to answer.
Nope, I would not. But I would at least try and get the dogs off him. if he's no longer armed though. As hard an arse as I am, I highly doubt I'll be able to stand there and watch someone get ripped to shreds. Takes a special kind of person to watch that.

Edelweiss

That's why I get so pissed when I see these dog loving hippies allow their dogs to run free in public spaces especially beaches at the expense of the safety of other families and their kids also there to enjoy the beach

Inconsiderate mf's they may not bite you but what about others you're sharing a public area with?

maumau

Honorary Master
Sort of what he says .
You approach the dog from the back and grab their back legs and lift and pull. This method will separate most dogs in a fight - never go for the front which is instinct but you will probably lose a hand or a finger or two.

Anyhow you would have to brave and quite strong to do this with a strange rottweiler but if it's attacking a child I would hope not to hesitate in that situation.
My dad did that when his dachshund got into a fight with a bulldog? Or a staffie? I don't remember which. He tried throwing water on them, beating them with a hose, pulling them apart. These were small dogs but they didn't hear, see or feel anything.

Grabbed his dogs back leg and lifted him off the ground. The other dog held on and they were both hanging there until we managed to separate them.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Nope, I would not. But I would at least try and get the dogs off him. if he's no longer armed though. As hard an arse as I am, I highly doubt I'll be able to stand there and watch someone get ripped to shreds. Takes a special kind of person to watch that.
That's what I thought of mob-justice, but then see even kids standing there and watching o_O

scudsucker

Expert Member
Sort of what he says .
That is how to get the dog out of the fight immediately. That is not going to stop a dog that is in "fight mode" and it will probably lead to you being bitten as the dog turns around. And after biting you he's back in the fight.

My method is (obviously) not safe, but it is going to incapacitate the dog.

scudsucker

Expert Member
That's why I get so pissed when I see these dog loving hippies allow their dogs to run free in public spaces especially beaches at the expense of the safety of other families and their kids also there to enjoy the beach
In Cape Town, at least, there are only very few beaches where dogs are allowed. Anyone who takes their dogs to those beaches has ensured that the dogs are habituated to other people and other dogs (and horses... for the real "hippy" beaches) because they would like to keep that privilege.

If you do not like dogs... well, there are the 90% of the other beaches available where dogs are not allowed.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
A dog's weak point is that their front legs cannot spread very wide. Very little pressure applied to spread them wide will break a bone or dislocate, then you have a disabled dog.

The challenge is how to approach the dog to do so....
Yeah, but to get his legs, your face is going to be very close to his bitey parts. No thanks, not the way I would do it.
To be honest, if I had no weapons close by, I would probably try and break its back, although I doubt I would be able to do that. I can't think of anything else I can do that would disable it, and you can't really hurt these dogs enough so that they want to let go.

scudsucker

Expert Member
Yeah, but to get his legs, your face is going to be very close to his bitey parts. No thanks, not the way I would do it.
To be honest, if I had no weapons close by, I would probably try and break its back, although I doubt I would be able to do that. I can't think of anything else I can do that would disable it, and you can't really hurt these dogs enough so that they want to let go.
This is true.

I wonder how Pitbull et al who would suggest shooting the dog are going to avoid shooting the child being attacked at the same time? Dog's heads are solid, but not solid enough not to let a bullet shoot out the other side.

Especially given the fact that the dogs are constantly moving, the shooter will be standing and the child most likely lying on the ground.