Boy, 6, dies after being bitten 72 times by Rottweilers

Pitbull

Verboten
This is true.

I wonder how Pitbull et al who would suggest shooting the dog are going to avoid shooting the child being attacked at the same time? Dog's heads are solid, but not solid enough not to let a bullet shoot out the other side.

Especially given the fact that the dogs are constantly moving, the shooter will be standing and the child most likely lying on the ground.
Ever seen dogs maul on something?

Their bodies are still, their heads move. In the article it said the kid was on the ground face down and being mauled. Shooting the dogs in the chest would be pretty damn easy. And one can get pretty close making sure to hit what needs to be hit. Even handled a firearm?

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
This is true.

I wonder how Pitbull et al who would suggest shooting the dog are going to avoid shooting the child being attacked at the same time? Dog's heads are solid, but not solid enough not to let a bullet shoot out the other side.

Especially given the fact that the dogs are constantly moving, the shooter will be standing and the child most likely lying on the ground.
Take a knee, aim from the side and close by.

Or walk right up to the dog and punch his ticket execution style from point-bank range.

Splinter

Honorary Master
My sister has a neighbor with a beautiful bull terrier. Only problem is it is completely psycho when it comes to other dogs. They keep it locked inside the house grounds, and get it professionally walked etc. But we are all just waiting for the day it gets out and kills some of the little fur nuggets that roam the area. Can't imagine how anyone will stop this packet of muscle from doing this if it gets out.

Edit: aside from using a firearm that is.

Pitbull

Verboten
You would know then to only shoot if you know what you're shooting at and where the bullet is going. Killing these two dogs would have been pretty easy given someone had a gun and knew how to use it. If one thinks you're going to stand 50 meters away and shoot at the dogs to save the kid's life, they need to have themselves committed or never had a gun to begin with.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
My sister has a neighbor with a beautiful bull terrier. Only problem is it is completely psycho when it comes to other dogs. They keep it locked inside the house grounds, and get it professionally walked etc. But we are all just waiting for the day it gets out and kills some of the little fur nuggets that roam the area. Can't imagine how anyone will stop this packet of muscle from doing this if it gets out.

Edit: aside from using a firearm that is.
to be fair, if the little fur nuggets are roaming the neighbourhood freely and they get killed by another larger more powerful fur nugget, there is nothing that either party can do...

scudsucker

Expert Member
You would know then to only shoot if you know what you're shooting at and where the bullet is going. Killing these two dogs would have been pretty easy given someone had a gun and knew how to use it. If one thinks you're going to stand 50 meters away and shoot at the dogs to save the kid's life, they need to have themselves committed or never had a gun to begin with.
Even at point-blank range, and especially in the heat of the moment, you're going to have to know what is down-range. And in this case, it is a child.

I imagine you, personally, would be sufficiently responsible, but then we have NBFTL suggesting "executioner style"....

Splinter

Honorary Master
to be fair, if the little fur nuggets are roaming the neighbourhood freely and they get killed by another larger more powerful fur nugget, there is nothing that either party can do...
I neglected to mention it is a complex, so as far as I know the other dogs can roam. Or not? I'm actually not sure.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I neglected to mention it is a complex, so as far as I know the other dogs can roam. Or not? I'm actually not sure.
I doubt they can roam by the house rules of the complex..

(at least it would be the strangest rule if they were allowed to)

But in terms of the Bull Terrier going completely psycho with other dogs, I've been down that road with 1 that I had... and after much work and training he was 100% fine with other dogs, it was by and large down to fear and a new situation that set him into that mode with other dogs.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
I imagine you, personally, would be sufficiently responsible, but then we have NBFTL suggesting "executioner style"....
Are you intentionally daft? Kid on ground (most likely), dog on feet (most likely), gun virtually pressed against dog's side aiming through to the other side after checking for other bystanders in that direction.

No way in hell it misses, no way in hell it hits the kid being mauled. Still equates to execution style. Any questions?

mattrudlles

You could actually do something. Criminal charges for assault, and destruction of property. Civil suit for damages. There is nothing wrong with your dog walking around, but a dog doing so and which is out of your control and causes damages is your problem legally speaking. In fact it is strict liability meaning you as the person who has suffered damages need not prove liability, the harm doer just is by default.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Are you intentionally daft? Kid on ground (most likely), dog on feet (most likely), gun virtually pressed against dog's side aiming through to the other side after checking for other bystanders in that direction.

No way in hell it misses, no way in hell it hits the kid being mauled. Still equates to execution style. Any questions?
Yeah because in a dog fight you can put your gun against the side of a dog, check for bystanders on the other side and then pull the trigger.....

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
You could actually do something. Criminal charges for assault, and destruction of property. Civil suit for damages. There is nothing wrong with your dog walking around, but a dog doing so and which is out of your control and causes damages is your problem legally speaking.
Good luck getting the cops to give 2 shytes about a dog fight on the common property of a complex that ends up with a dead dog...
As for the Civil suit, yes of course that is an option, if the person has money to piss away.

Shaun108

Executive Member
My pitbull Patch was involved in a dogfight with another Sheppie a few years back. Even pulling the back legs and turning on the hose wasn't effective. I'm keen to hear some methods of stopping dogfights, something effective yet non-lethal to both parties.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Yeah because in a dog fight you can put your gun against the side of a dog, check for bystanders on the other side and then pull the trigger.....
Lemme help you out here chief:

virtually
/ˈvəːtʃʊəli/
adverb

1. 1.
    nearly; almost.
    "the disease destroyed virtually all the vineyards in Orange County"
    synonyms:in effect, effectively, all but, more or less, practically, almost, nearly, close to, approaching, not far from, nearing, verging on, bordering on, well nigh, nigh on, just about, as good as, essentially, in essence, in practical terms, for all practical purposes, to all intents and purposes, in all but name, as near as dammit;

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Lemme help you out here chief:

virtually
/ˈvəːtʃʊəli/
adverb

1. 1.
    nearly; almost.
    "the disease destroyed virtually all the vineyards in Orange County"
    synonyms:in effect, effectively, all but, more or less, practically, almost, nearly, close to, approaching, not far from, nearing, verging on, bordering on, well nigh, nigh on, just about, as good as, essentially, in essence, in practical terms, for all practical purposes, to all intents and purposes, in all but name, as near as dammit;
Let me clue you in on a dog fight, or a dog in fighting mode... they writhe around alot and move alot... you don't have the luxury of any time, the minute you looked away to see that nobody was in the line of the shot the dog would have moved and you would have to redo your shot placement...