Boycott by Whites of South African Restaurant Reflects Growing Sense of Grievance

Aqua_lung

Honorary Master
It's the crap they serve these days that passes as a restaurant meal. Last time I went, I got sick and the food was trash.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Awful food and dirty tables and plates?
I was referring to the fact that non-whites were hired. I can't say I noticed a change in the restaurants themselves, until about 5 years ago they were always my family's go-to choice for eating out.

The_Techie

Resident Techie
My biggest complaint with the Spur debacle was that, what started as (and should've stayed) merely an argument between two adults, got turned into a race issue, even before Spur issued a statement. Instead of seeing two individuals giving each other a tongue lashing, the media (and the populace in general) saw this as a proxy for some kind of political/race showdown. Really, identity politics strip people of their individuality and reduces everything into group A vs group B. Substitute A and B for race, sex, religion, what have you. Spur had no way of sidestepping this political landmine, every option open to them ends in disapproval from some kind of group.

Pegasus

Expert Member
Surely that's what you'd expect as the law changed and non-white people were allowed to engage in the formal economy? Then they would gradually start getting appointed into these positions?
It was a good thing to do, from a social as well as business perspective.
I enjoyed being able to work with different cultures back then and made some good friends.

Milano

Honorary Master
I don't go to Spur because their food is crap and they are overpriced. Papachino's is a way better option, especially if you have young ones along. Fairly priced food, everything doesn't taste the same and decent kids play areas.
Agreed Spur used to be cheap maybe up until around 8 years ago. It was cheap and it reflected the quality of the food they push out in their factory style. It is not a culinary experience and their prices reflected that.

Fast forward to now. Nothing has improved in the quality of their food, yet their pricing is now on a par with many independent restaurants that offer quality food prepared by a proper chef.

Their play facilities for kids no longer compensate for their bad price to quality ratio.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
A few weeks ago we had a end of season function for my son's Rugby team. 18 grade 2 boys and their parents.
The mother arranging it booked us at Spur for a Saturday morning, arranging with them to have 3 waiters for us.

It was a ****ing disaster.

The kids orders were prebooked, so they got their burgers and milkshakes without issues. When I walked in - I ordered a coffee - black - and a breakfast. That was 10 am. My coffee finally arrived at 11. The breakfast at 11:30. They mixed up and lost orders and in some cases just ignored parents. By then some people had complained to the manager and even phoned Spur's customer care. I'd have left if the kids weren't having fun.

I'm never going to Spur again. Ever.

millennia

We stopped going to Spur years before we left. The food was **** and the service was even worse...

Pegasus

Expert Member
Agreed Spur used to be cheap maybe up until around 8 years ago. It was cheap and it reflected the quality of the food they push out in their factory style. It is not a culinary experience and their prices reflected that.

Fast forward to now. Nothing has improved in the quality of their food, yet their pricing is now on a par with many independent restaurants that offer quality food prepared by a proper chef.

Their play facilities for kids no longer compensate for their bad price to quality ratio.
The price has gone way up.
I had burgers at places like Fancourt, Arrabella and a few wine farms in the last few months, and the prices are about the same as Spur. The quality and ambience are on another level.

In the mid 90's Spur started forcing the franchisees to buy more and more products from their "Central Kitchens".
Before then, the Spur made its own deserts, sauces and salads and could also buy its own meat and chips.
I think pretty much every last thing including salt and pepper comes from Central Kitchens now. Even the meat is portioned.
This was escalated back when the horse meat scandal happened.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
My biggest complaint with the Spur debacle was that, what started as (and should've stayed) merely an argument between two adults, got turned into a race issue, even before Spur issued a statement. Instead of seeing two individuals giving each other a tongue lashing, the media (and the populace in general) saw this as a proxy for some kind of political/race showdown. Really, identity politics strip people of their individuality and reduces everything into group A vs group B. Substitute A and B for race, sex, religion, what have you. Spur had no way of sidestepping this political landmine, every option open to them ends in disapproval from some kind of group.
This is exactly why they should have punished both with an even hand or punished neither. The only way out of the mess for Spur was not to engage.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Who would have been up in arms if both people were banned? That's what most of the boycotters want.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Fast food and restaurants are a mess in SA. Its either the food, service or value for money that is lacking, and in the Spurs case most often it is all 3.
Also the Ocean Basket. Their food has gone downhill like anything :cautious:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Every time I am out in town the Spur seems busy. Maybe the boycott didn’t pick up in the Western Cape / Cape Town. Also the boere in the Northern Cape still about Spur like it is their kitchen.

I also know a guy who proactively campaigns against Spur, but goes to Spur… so I don’t know. Some people...

Anyhow. I see Spur had a recent rebrand. I was there the other day and though the décor is still old Spur they have changed their cutlery, tableware and plating.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Every time I am out in town the Spur seems busy. Maybe the boycott didn’t pick up in the Western Cape / Cape Town. Also the boere in the Northern Cape still about Spur like it is their kitchen.

I also know a guy who proactively campaigns against Spur, but goes to Spur… so I don’t know. Some people...

Anyhow. I see Spur had a recent rebrand. I was there the other day and though the décor is still old Spur they have changed their cutlery, tableware and plating.
All the Spurs I know of are always busy to a level...

And yeah, it does seem like they're rebranding and slowly trying to move away from their Wild West type theme...