• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Brackenfell, Protea Heights (South). Vumatel Fibre interest

Prawnapple

Yeah, my area show Fibre work in progress, but my fibre has been underground for more than a week and my driveway is all fixed up. I emailed them and the response was that it would go live at the end of March. I'm sure it will be sooner.
Indeed, also think we'll be up in under 3.5 weeks from now.

Orihalcon

Expert Member
If you've already got your wall box then it's just a case of them completing the POP and splicing up the wires.

Of course then you get to the area of the ISP and VUMA setting up and configuring the port etc...and that can sometime take a while if the ISP stuffs it up.

Hi guys. I just have a quick question.

Which ISP still offers packages with the Vuma installation fee included? From what I gather, Cool Ideas are the way to go wrt. ISP, but they do not have the R1710 fee as a free option. Afrihost used to have it, I saw earlier in the week that they also no longer offer this as part of their "Up to R4000 free value".

Would you suggest I just take the option to pay Vuma in installments, or continue the search for a provider that offer free installation?

I will be fronting the installation fee myself as I'll be signing up with Cool Ideas.

From what I recall (could be wrong) but if you get the installation fee included and then decide after a month or two that you want to switch ISP, you end up having to pay them back anyway.

SlowHands

I'm going with the ISP that I think (and what I've read) is the best (for now anyways...), so if that means there is an installation fee involved then I'll gladly pay it.

Prawnapple

Hi guys. I just have a quick question.

Which ISP still offers packages with the Vuma installation fee included? From what I gather, Cool Ideas are the way to go wrt. ISP, but they do not have the R1710 fee as a free option. Afrihost used to have it, I saw earlier in the week that they also no longer offer this as part of their "Up to R4000 free value".

Would you suggest I just take the option to pay Vuma in installments, or continue the search for a provider that offer free installation?
There are quite a few who cover the cost, like Cfibre (CellC) and OpticNetworks, for example.

Thanx for the feedback.

I decided to just front the costs and not be tied to an ISP. Cool Ideas seems to be the flavor of the month, so I will start off with them.

Does anybody know when the fibre will be lit in this area? According to a Vodacom rep that came knocking, have they received confirmation from Vumatel that the fibre is live, but according to the Vumatel site it is not. Just curious as to when the home installations will begin.

eye_suc

Expert Member
Does anybody know when the fibre will be lit in this area? According to a Vodacom rep that came knocking, have they received confirmation from Vumatel that the fibre is live, but according to the Vumatel site it is not. Just curious as to when the home installations will begin.
Not all homes will be ready at the same time. I've been sorted out already, but I have a feeling I was lucky. There are loads of people that have already been lit though.

I guess the best bet would be to talk to Vumatel about it. Perhaps get a hold of one of the guys driving around in the pink bakkies in the area. If you are not sorted yet, I don't think it will be too much longer.

Ripstorm

SlowHands

question tho...I'm in the yellow (east, area 7) block btw...I saw the other day that in the grey box on my house wall, there is a fibre cable in it...does that mean I can ask them to come? or must I wait for them to phone me?

Ripstorm

question tho...I'm in the yellow (east, area 7) block btw...I saw the other day that in the grey box on my house wall, there is a fibre cable in it...does that mean I can ask them to come? or must I wait for them to phone me?
I think they're still busy with the Point of Presence, so we're not fibre live yet (i'm also in east, area7)

I'm already live in area 7 west, I got an e-mail to say "You've gone live" and called them immediately to push my pre-order. They called me back the next day and arranged the install date/time.

If you're getting the regular e-mail updates and have pre-ordered, I would just sit tight till you get the same e-mail.