Brand New Cars Sub 125 000

phiber

Expert Member
3 years ago we had a sub 100 000 rand car market in South Africa that was led by two cars, the Toyota tazz, the VW Citi golf and the Corsa Lite. Since all 3 have been discontinued it is interesting to see what are now the options for people looking to buy BRAND NEW (and lets stick to brand new) run around cars or student cars. Here are all the cars I could think of.

All prices are taken from the internet, either the companies website or motoring journalists websites.

VW has just launched the Polo Vivo, priced between 101 000 and 150 000.

Hyundai had the i10 which ranges between 106 000 and 127 000. They also still make the ATOS in one model and it sells for 92 000 rand.

Chevrolet have the Spark which ranges from 80 000 for a lowly 800cc to 95 000 for a 1.0L.

Suzuki have the Alto which ranges for 105 000 to 120 000 rand.

Daihatsu have the Charade, which is a sub 125 000 rand car, but is not priced on their website. If someone knows what this car retails for, please could you let us know.

*ADDITION* I missed TATA (thanks Hosehead), they have quite a few cars:
B-Line ranges from 86 000 to 92000
Indica from 93 000 to 124 000
Indigo ranges from 115 00 to 134 000
We can also expect the Nano is SA sometime soon.

*ADDITION* KIA have the Picanto, ranging from 89 000 to 142 000

*ADDITION* GWM (Great wall Motors)make the Florid which starts at 110 000

*ADDITION* The Peugeot 107 starts at 124 900 just making the cut.

*ADDITION* Citroen C1 (which is supposedly the base as the 107 and Aygo) ranges from 110 000 to 116 000 rands.

*ADDITION* Chery make the QQ3 which ranges from 70 000 to 84 000.

*ADDITION* Renault Sandero (AKA Dacia Sandero) ranges from 105 000 to 145 000. Renault also have the Logan which retails for 120 000.

On its way to South africa is the Ford Figo, which is a stripped down, revived previous gen Ford Fiesta. The car was recently launched in India with all models retailing for sub 100 000 rand. This car should be sub 125 000 rand when it arrives here. So far no ETA but Ford India say the first country they are exporting it to is SA and expect to start this year.

Toyota have priced themselves out of this market by refusing to bring the Aygo to South Africa. Considering the tazz was such a success i cannot understand why. Their cheapest car is the Toyota Yaris starting at 127 000.

Opel also don't seem to have a sub 125 000 rand model since discontinuing the Corsa Lite, with the cheapest Corsa coming in at steep 163 000 rand.

If you own any of the cars mentioned above, please feel free to drop a bit of review/rant about it. If you know of any cars that fall into the category, please feel free to add them. I will also update this post of I can think of any.

*EDIT* I hear a lot of people complain that there are no affordable cars in SA, but looking at this list there are actually quite a few available. Also some are very well know manufacturers with cheap maintenance.

Last edited:

Gnome

Executive Member
Chevrolet = GM = Opel, it uses a Opel EcoTec engine, they no longer offer cars under the Opel name that aren't direct copies of the UK Vauxhall models. (IE. Our Corsa's here are identical to those overseas save for the Opel Corsa Utility which isn't sold there).

Anyway my friend has a Daihatsu Charade, but the 1970's model, quite a happy little car, wonder how the new one is.

Fazda

Honorary Master
You forgot the Sandero that sells for 99k I think...but hells bells, I went in one last week...what a horrible tacky little car!! :sick:

Hosehead

Executive Member
Whatever happened to the Chinese Meiya bakkies that were supposed to be sold by McCarthy at under R100,000 three years ago?

Fazda

Honorary Master
Why, what happened?

Perhaps we should start with the finish which is really bad. I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for really bad finish, just because the car is theoretically cheap. The cheap "silver" plastic that scratches whilst you look at it inside, is not acceptable, as is the fact that it doesn't even have a protector plate between windscreen and wipers...the arms sit out in the open for all to see...or was this just on "my" car?

Then...handling on the dirt is borderline dangerous...sorry NOT acceptable in every respect!

phiber

Expert Member
Perhaps we should start with the finish which is really bad. I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for really bad finish, just because the car is theoretically cheap. The cheap "silver" plastic that scratches whilst you look at it inside, is not acceptable, as is the fact that it doesn't even have a protector plate between windscreen and wipers...the arms sit out in the open for all to see...or was this just on "my" car?

Then...handling on the dirt is borderline dangerous...sorry NOT acceptable in every respect!

Forgot this car, will ad it now. Thanks for the review. I will write a little about the i10 and my experience there. Fazda when u driving the Vivo ??

Fazda

Honorary Master
Forgot this car, will ad it now. Thanks for the review. I will write a little about the i10 and my experience there. Fazda when u driving the Vivo ??

I plan to drive the Vivo hopefully this coming week...I shall report!! :D

koeks

Expert Member
you think that's scary try the luxury sedan/hot hatch market... R300k gets you nothing

phiber

Expert Member
you think that's scary try the luxury sedan/hot hatch market... R300k gets you nothing

Yea, recently bought a car. Just took a look at th GTi price to see what I would be getting myself into if I bought it. 335k worth of debt was the answer. RIDICULOUS. At least there are options in the small car market. People complain that there are no cars available for cheap, but the real issue is there are no cars with all the cool toys available cheap:p

JustinB

Expert Member
So I'm actually looking in this price range at the moment for a replacement for a Citi 1.4... So far the Alto is the only one that sticks out... Any recommendations?

phiber

Expert Member
So I'm actually looking in this price range at the moment for a replacement for a Citi 1.4... So far the Alto is the only one that sticks out... Any recommendations?

I am really keen to see the Figo, but I am not sure when it is arriving here. I would also really go and test drive the VIVO, cos i have drive a polo and it is quite nice. Alto is pretty cool as well.

wizdumb

Expert Member
as mentioned above, the vivo and figo (although not yet launched), should be pretty decent cars imo, the figo based on the previous gen fiesta and the vivo the previous gen polo....if i have it correct

phiber

Expert Member
as mentioned above, the vivo and figo (although not yet launched), should be pretty decent cars imo, the figo based on the previous gen fiesta and the vivo the previous gen polo....if i have it correct

Yeap, prev gen less a lot of the extras. I hear it drives exactly the same as the outgoing polo :p

phiber

Expert Member

Fazda, read this review on the Sandero. Contradicts your veiw completely... Expecially about the off-road driving. This review seems to talk it up a bit, still not sure I trust it :p

Fazda

Honorary Master
Fazda, read this review on the Sandero. Contradicts your veiw completely... Expecially about the off-road driving. This review seems to talk it up a bit, still not sure I trust it :p

I think the difference is that Renault are not paying me to write advertorial stuff about their very poorly finished cars.

Maybe it was the one I was driving, but having rallied and driven possibly hundreds of thousands of kilometers on dirt, this car handled like a pig...it was all over the place on the Natal dirt roads, which are slippery, I admit, but the Polo handled them like a dream the week before.

Also do yourself a favour and have a good look at a Sandero. They don't even have a plastic cover below the windscreen to hide the wiper arms, and as for that plastic interior...forget it!

Just looking at this statement : Despite the ample room between the road surface and Sandero’s undercarriage engendering it with top-heavy proportioning, it does counter with massively practical dirt-road driving potential. More on that later

I obviously encountered the top heavy bit without enjoying the fact that it has massive ground clearance, which is great, provided it doesn't compromise the handling.

All that I am saying is "buyer beware"..that price is not as sweet as it may appear if you have to live with the car for 5 years or so. I cannot see it growing on me in any way, and I would probably looking for a cliff to drive off if I was forced to keep it for more than a weekend!

Last edited:

phiber

Expert Member
I think the difference is that Renault are not paying me to write advertorial stuff about their very poorly finished cars.

Maybe it was the one I was driving, but having rallied and driven possibly hundreds of thousands of kilometers on dirt, this car handled like a pig...it was all over the place on the Natal dirt roads, which are slippery, I admit, but the Polo handled them like a dream the week before.

Also do yourself a favour and have a good look at a Sandero. They don't even have a plastic cover below the windscreen to hide the wiper arms, and as for that plastic interior...forget it!

Just looking at this statement : Despite the ample room between the road surface and Sandero’s undercarriage engendering it with top-heavy proportioning, it does counter with massively practical dirt-road driving potential. More on that later

I obviously encountered the top heavy bit without enjoying the fact that it has massive ground clearance, which is great, provided it doesn't compromise the handling.

All that I am saying is "buyer beware"..that price is not as sweet as it may appear if you have to live with the car for 5 years or so. I cannot see it growing on me in any way, and I would probably looking for a cliff to drive off if I was forced to keep it for more than a weekend!

Haha, well there we have it. Fazdas review vs wheels24 review. Personally i think the car is a joke. Rather get the Vivo, but even better than that I think will be the Figo. Keen to try the 1.4 Diesel version.

Fazda

Honorary Master
Haha, well there we have it. Fazdas review vs wheels24 review. Personally i think the car is a joke. Rather get the Vivo, but even better than that I think will be the Figo. Keen to try the 1.4 Diesel version.

Take it or leave it, I am simply saying what I feel...as I said, nobody at Renault has paid me to say nice things :D

I'm afraid I cannot get excited about the Figo. I wasn't crazy about the mediocre Fiesta that it is based on. Cannot see them charging less and improving the car at the same time.

I unashamedly like the Polo and it has proved itself to me many times over over a massive mileage and just about every driving condition you can imagine. In my eyes the Vivo is an instant winner. :D