Brand New Motherboard Damaged by Matrix (Advice?)

Farrel123

Hi Guys

I think this is my first thread here. I need some advice!

I purchased some new components to upgrade my PC. I got most parts from Evetech (Case, RAM, Cooler, CPU), but the motherboard from Pc Link (I know, but they were a R1k cheaper than Evetech).

Once I got all the components I took it to Matrix for them to put it together in December. I then get a call the next day saying that they put everything together, but it's not turning on, there's nothing wrong with the PSU, they tested a different one. They said it's probably the motherboard as nothing even lights up when trying to switch it on.

I go and collect the parts the following day and return the motherboard to PC Link who send it back to the supplier for testing. I got feedback yesterday that the supplier says there is damage to some pins on the board. Am I able to claim damages from Matrix? What is the way forward? I'm also worried that the CPU was damaged.

saor

Honorary Master
This is why wootware exists :X3:. Two suppliers and a third to assemble...what a mission. Have you contacted Matrix to let them know supplier reported damaged pins? Unfortunately with so many cooks I think you're going to end up having to suck it up and cover the replacement cost yourself unless Matrix accept responsibility.

Farrel123

This is why wootware exists :X3:. Two suppliers and a third to assemble...what a mission. Have you contacted Matrix to let them know supplier reported damaged pins? Unfortunately with so many cooks I think you're going to end up having to suck it up and cover the replacement cost yourself unless Matrix accept responsibility.
Yup, was trying to save costs. And I have had good experiences with Matrix in the past. Waiting on getting the motherboard back, supplier will specify in writing what was damaged. Will take that back to Matrix. Really worried, that as you say, I will have to cover the cost of a replacement...

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Yup, was trying to save costs. And I have had good experiences with Matrix in the past. Waiting on getting the motherboard back, supplier will specify in writing what was damaged. Will take that back to Matrix. Really worried, that as you say, I will have to cover the cost of a replacement...

Yeah unfortunately for you, Matrix are going to do everything they can to duck and dive and avoid responsibility for this.

Jean Claude Vaaldamme

Expert Member
Depends if you can prove all boxes was sealed when you gave it to Matrix. Otherwise you could have tried it yourself, damaged it and now claim Matrix damaged it.

Pixies

Honorary Master
Hi Guys

I think this is my first thread here. I need some advice!

I purchased some new components to upgrade my PC. I got most parts from Evetech (Case, RAM, Cooler, CPU), but the motherboard from Pc Link (I know, but they were a R1k cheaper than Evetech).

Once I got all the components I took it to Matrix for them to put it together in December. I then get a call the next day saying that they put everything together, but it's not turning on, there's nothing wrong with the PSU, they tested a different one. They said it's probably the motherboard as nothing even lights up when trying to switch it on.

I go and collect the parts the following day and return the motherboard to PC Link who send it back to the supplier for testing. I got feedback yesterday that the supplier says there is damage to some pins on the board. Am I able to claim damages from Matrix? What is the way forward? I'm also worried that the CPU was damaged.
Why would it be Matrix and not the courier or supplier?

eg2505

Honorary Master
Yeah unfortunately for you, Matrix are going to do everything they can to duck and dive and avoid responsibility for this.
the long list of t's and c's is coming to get ya.

just a thought, sometimes bent pins can be straightened out, if they can show you where and you can grab a pair of pliers, sometimes (not always) you can straighten it out.

Farrel123

Depends if you can prove all boxes was sealed when you gave it to Matrix. Otherwise you could have tried it yourself, damaged it and now claim Matrix damaged it.
There is a document you sign when you hand the parts to them, I need to have a look at the wording on that document.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Box was sealed when I got it. No idea what exactly was damaged till I get it back. Could pins be damaged in the box?
it they packaged it wrong very possible.
especially if something heavy like the PSU was on top of it.

Farrel123

If I get my own replacement, is there anyone trustworthy to assist with assembly? I'm on the West Rand, near Clearwater

eg2505

Honorary Master
It was only the Motherboard that I got from them
this is where it can get complicated,
if they put it upside down, if they tried forcing things in, could be they bent pins, or you got a Dud motherboard from day 1.

again, as @saor says, ordering from 1 and going to another and asking a third is asking for trouble.
kind of like going to 10 different Mechanics to fix a car problem, too many cooks will ruin a meal.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member

Sadly with most things in life, if you don't want potentially lots of pain, you either do it (and manage it) yourself, or you get a single supplier.
This goes for repairing cars, building, and PCs. People will usually blame others if they can.

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
If I get my own replacement, is there anyone trustworthy to assist with assembly? I'm on the West Rand, near Clearwater

I would've volunteered or done it for a beer. But alas, not anywhere near there anymore.