Brand new Toyota Fortuner with Factory Fault

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
I am at wit's end and may be in need of perspective on whether I am being unreasonable.

I took delivery of a brand new Toyota Fortuner in October 2021. On the day I took delivery, the letter "F" of the word Fortuner was missing from the back of the car and there was a "dull spot" on on the paint of the panels.

Beginning of December I visited a friend, who then pointed out two paint defects on the rear, one at the back light and the other on the roof. This, along with the delivery day issues resulted in raising my suspicions that perhaps the car had some damage in the back that was repaired. I then recalled that two days prior to delivery, when looking at the car, I noticed that all the tools (jack, triangle etc) were lying in the boot.

I raised the concern with Toyota McCarthy Midrand and then the inconveniences started. I had to return the car to them twice for inspection, on one occasion I had to send my dad to have the car washed on the way to them as "the salesman didn't have time" and the third party couldn't inspect a dirty car.

Eventually the conclusion was that the larger defect, on the roof, is as a result of the metal work not being finished off properly, this rough edge protruding was sprayed over and needs to be repaired.

The dealer principle then met with me and explained that repairing it will result in other issues as three of the panels need to be resprayed and the blending would never be perfect. As such, he recommended I take an extended warranty. I explained that I generally only drive my vehicles 3 - 5 years and that the warranty serves no purpose to me.

I escalated to Toyota SA requesting replacement or discount, but they insist that the paint should be repaired under warranty. I then escalated to the Motor Industry Ombudsman of South Africa, who today found that the issue "does not warrant replacement" and they do not reside over matters of reimbursement.

If I were to send the car to be repaired, I'll be stuck with a courtesy car in the interim and I am not confident that it would be an equivalent vehicle. And this still does not compensate me for all the other inconvenience.

Am I being unreasonable in expecting a discount as compensation instead of repairs?

capd

Expert Member
Am I being unreasonable in expecting a discount as compensation instead of repairs?
Not at all. I would be demanding a new car. It's a pity that so much time has passed since delivery. Despite paying for one, you did not receive a new car... I suggest speaking to a good lawyer. Based on the turn of events and what you and others noticed, your story does not seem unreasonable. Failing which, take it to social media, place anti-Toyota McCarthy Midrand stickers/banners on your car, etc. Then they'll realise you aren't so agreeable after all.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
I cant help you, sorry, other than I tried to replace my Tucson when they first came out. Turbo issues.
Hyundai eventually made good on it by replacing the turbo.

What I can tell you, is that Toyota has had paint issues since 2019, in their PP3 plant, Prospecton.

They used to use local fabric for their spray booths. Then some guy offered a Chinese alternative.
After the change, they suffered plenty fish eye and lint issues.

We were the original fabric supplier, it was a fabric I had designed in SA specifically for Toyota.
The knock off looked the same, but they missed a few key technical aspects.
Toyota assumed we were the supplier during their issues, and tried to hold us accountable. After explaining that we had not made or supplied for a year or two. With subsequent looking around, we noted the garments were made with imported cloth, but issued with our spec.
That pretty much ended the relationship.

Toyota asked me about tack cloths to solve the problem, but I respectfully declined the business.

epah

Executive Member
Honestly i think you are being unreasonable. You need to give them an opportunity to fix the issue first, IF they cant then you may request a refund/replacement or discount.

However there are many stories about fortuner's having bad paint and some even rusting just after a few months of use.

A3@MBB

I took delivery of a brand new Toyota Fortuner in October 2021. On the day I took delivery, the letter "F" of the word Fortuner was missing from the back of the car and there was a "dull spot" on on the paint of the panels.
Why did you even take delivery if you observed this on the day?
You took delivery of the vehicle, hence accepted visual condition.
Warranty is for defects that you can't see or be known about when taking delivery.

On a side note - I always wondered what is wrong with the glue on Toyota's model letters as nearly all on the road that I drive behind is either slanted or in a parabolic curve. This mostly noted on the Rav4

PhreakBoy

Executive Member
Why did you even take delivery if you observed this on the day?
You took delivery of the vehicle, hence accepted visual condition.
Warranty is for defects that you can't see or be known about when taking delivery.

On a side note - I always wondered what is wrong with the glue on Toyota's model letters as nearly all on the road that I drive behind is either slanted or in a parabolic curve. This mostly noted on the Rav4

The letter "F" was fixed when I took delivery. Only noticed the manufacturing defect in December when my friend pointed it out.

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
Sounds like a clusterfk of note. Your only option is to have it Warranty repaired :(

borro

Expert Member
And they're all made out of ticky tacky
And they all look just the same.

Mekon

Expert Member
I had a friend who bought a Corolla about 10 years ago. After a few months the C pillar developed some paint cracks. Took it to the stealership and they claimed he had some sort of accident repairs done. After a lot of fighting and involvement of the Motor Industry Ombudsman it was revealed that it was the dealership that hasd the car repaired at a panelbeaters and the cracking was bodyfiller. They sly bastids

6spdmanual

Expert Member
Any pics please? You explain the problem well enough, but pictures would help tremendously.

Fred07

Expert Member
I took delivery of a brand new City Golf Sport 1600 in 1987. The car was not level in the front. I noticed this on accepting the vehicle but thought my eyes were deceiving me cause maybe it was parked on a slight angle....

But this bugged me. Parked it on 100% level surface and the vehicle was 15-20mm down on the front left side. ****.

Took it to AA to be tested. They confirmed the vehicle is brand new and paintwork etc is original and vehicle never been in any sort of accident. They could not explain the lean to the one side.

Well, this vehicle pissed me off no end.
One early morning in a foul mood with all the running around and nothing been done about the problem I crashed it lol. Properly. Luckily had a seatbelt on. Walked away with chest bruises.

Insurance paid. My problem irritation car written off.

I bought another Golf after that one. A CSX1800. You should have checked me with delivery of the vehicle. I was all over it. Made 100% sure I was happy with everything before accepting.

That was the best car I ever had. 284 000 km later I traded it in with only a battery and brake discs replacement in all that time. What a brilliant vehicle:love:

Last edited:

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
If this dealer had any grace at all, they would buy back the car from you at whatever price you paid. They can then repair it and sell it second hand.

But life isn't fair. I would let me repair it at a toyota approved body shop. The paint will match just fine as long as they blend properly and spray the entire continuous surface near the repair.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
If this dealer had any grace at all, they would buy back the car from you at whatever price you paid. They can then repair it and sell it second hand.

But life isn't fair. I would let me repair it at a toyota approved body shop. The paint will match just fine as long as they blend properly and spray the entire continuous surface near the repair.
True, but there has never been a perfect time for Toyota not to give a damn than the present, they are selling cars like they are going out of fashion so they can probably afford one unhappy customer.

capd

Expert Member

I agree. Considering the time that's passed, I would compromise if Toyota let me use my panel shop of choice for the repair.