Brazil presidential election: Jair Bolsonaro, dubbed country's Donald Trump, wins contest

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
There will be a global backlash against "the left". I say "the left" in quotes because to my mind much of what the leftist establishment forces down people's throats these days is not actually "the left" - it's extremist post-modernism / cultural Marxism and it doesn't wash with the silent majority who will eventually let their voice be heard at the polls. Of course, in doing so they might swing to an extreme right view, but this might only be because there is no reasonable middle ground available. So they're left with a choice between a nutjob left wing that tells them that they can't call their kids boys or girls any more, or a nut job right wing that at least stays out of their personal space to a greater extent.
This actually explains the situation quite well. This phantom 'leftist' threat that "won't let people call their kids boys or girls", makes people support someone that says stuff like this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/28/world/americas/brazil-president-jair-bolsonaro-quotes.html

“Elections won’t change anything in this country. Unfortunately, it will only change on the day that we break out in civil war here and do the job that the military regime didn’t do: killing 30,000. If some innocent people die, that’s fine. In every war, innocent people die. I will even be happy if I die as long as 30,000 others go with me.”

Mr. Bolsonaro advocates it:

“I am in favor of torture — you know that. And the people are in favor of it, too.​
In April 2016, when President Dilma Rousseff’s impeachment was put to a vote in Congress, Mr. Bolsonaro dedicated his vote to a colonel who ran a torture center during the country’s military dictatorship in which Ms. Rousseff was tortured in her youth:

“In memory of Col. Carlos Alberto Brilhante Ustra, the terror of Dilma Rousseff … I vote YES.”​

In June 2011, he said he would “rather his son die in a car accident than be gay,”

In 2014, he told a fellow lawmaker:

“I would not rape you because you are not worthy of it."​
This spectre of 'the left' that can be blamed for anything and everything, no matter how grotesque, is quite remarkable. How was 'the left' in Brazil the cause of this backlash? Their current president is a "centrist", but is also extraordinarily corrupt, and effectively manufactured a coup to remove Rousseff, the 'left' candidate' from office.

Some insight into how it got here:

Brazil’s Corrupt Congress Protects its Bribe-Drenched President, Finalizing Elites’ Two-Year Plot

In sum, Brazil’s incomparably corrupt political and media class tore the country apart, effectively and deliberately reversing the outcome of the 2014 election, by insisting that their high ethics and solemn respect for The Rule of Law simply could not tolerate the mundane, common budget tricks Rousseff deployed to make the economy appear stronger than it really was. Words do not exist to describe what a glaring fraud it all was.

But now – fast forward to yesterday – they themselves have made the true nature of their deeds and their character as clear as it could possibly be. The career mediocrity and soulless operative they installed to run the country, Vice President Michel Temer, has been drowning in actual corruption ever since he was installed. Just two months ago, audio tapes surfaced of Temer endorsing bribery payments by a Brazilian businessman to numerous witnesses, including his party comrade Eduardo Cunha, to maintain their silence.

Just think about that: in the country that, just over a year ago, pretended to be so morally offended by Rousseff’s budgetary tricks that they simply had to remove her from office, they have now all listened to the President they installed endorsing the payment of bribes to ensure the silence of witnesses.

oliverwww

Expert Member
The world is so messed up right now :crying: How can one be okay with such a man being a leader?

This left-right crap is really screwing with people’s judgement of what is simply considered a “good person.”

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Why all the right wing hating? People are fed up, voting for radical change, extremely liberal governments too concerned about not offending anyone that they don't address issues that need addressing.
The fact the people are voting for leaders that far right seems to indicate people want safety and stability. When people want radical change they tend to vote for more liberal candidates.

noxibox

Honorary Master
The fact the people are voting for leaders that far right seems to indicate people want safety and stability. When people want radical change they tend to vote for more liberal candidates.
Well if they knew their history they'd know voting for the far right is a sure way to guarantee a lack of safety and stability. In practice they are not different to any other extremists. Of course those supporting him assume that not they, but others will be victims of his purges.

When people believe in freedom and rights they vote for liberals.

This spectre of 'the left' that can be blamed for anything and everything, no matter how grotesque, is quite remarkable. How was 'the left' in Brazil the cause of this backlash? Their current president is a "centrist", but is also extraordinarily corrupt, and effectively manufactured a coup to remove Rousseff, the 'left' candidate' from office.
To people who support the likes of Bolsonaro the centre is the extreme left.

rietrot

Honorary Master
The world is so messed up right now :crying: How can one be okay with such a man being a leader?

This left-right crap is really screwing with people’s judgement of what is simply considered a “good person.”
What did he do that was so horrible? All I see from people against him is some ridiculous emotional reasoning.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Well if they knew their history they'd know voting for the far right is a sure way to guarantee a lack of safety and stability. In practice they are not different to any other extremists. Of course those supporting him assume that not they, but others will be victims of his purges.

To people who support the likes of Bolsonaro the centre is the extreme left.
Likewise for the extreme left the centre is the extreme right. Not to sure about Brazilian politics so can't really comment.
It is interesting how badly the left leaning parties and miss reading their electorate around the world.

smkungfu

You have no issue with all the things that he has said? I doubt many of you would be this confused if Zuma or Ramaphosa said those same things, what is different now?
Hope you preached the same word to your comrades about you know who.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Hope you preached the same word to your comrades about you know who.
Maybe it is time to mobilise my comrades and we vote overwhelmingly for you know who, seems like there is nothing wrong he is doing after all.

I am also certain that our guys here won't be very confused if you know who said the same words as this guy.

Eniigma

Expert Member
BWAHAHAHA thats the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

freedom and rights & liberals. whwhahahahaa

Sorry dude, all these liberal countries are such nanny states you need permission for anything.

Hell, just try trimming your plants that over hang a sidewalk in liberal UK without permits and permission and see how much freedom and many rights you have. Jack squat.

rietrot

Honorary Master
You have no issue with all the things that he has said? I doubt many of you would be this confused if Zuma or Ramaphosa said those same things, what is different now?
Like what?
I don't have issues with anything our idiots have said. I have a issue with Zuma's thievery and the jury is still out on Ramaposha but he appears to be just another ANC clown that doesn't know what he is doing.

theratman

Executive Member
Feel for Brazil with this buffoon. They've had enough of leftist corruption in their country and swung waaaay to far to the extreme. Trump is an ideological kitten compared to this lot. I feel that they've just voted a dictator in, and we know how that worked out last time.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Sorry dude, all these liberal countries are such nanny states you need permission for anything.

Hell, just try trimming your plants that over hang a sidewalk in liberal UK without permits and permission and see how much freedom and many rights you have. Jack squat.
The UK is not a liberal country. None of the major political parties are liberal. Some of them choosing ironic names notwithstanding. Thus it would be quite hard to vote for liberals in the UK.

Feel for Brazil with this buffoon. They've had enough of leftist corruption in their country and swung waaaay to far to the extreme. Trump is an ideological kitten compared to this lot. I feel that they've just voted a dictator in, and we know how that worked out last time.
Now they're going to get right wing corruption with brutal oppression to boot. This guy looks like he's run a corrupt campaign. He's backed by a wealthy elite that can't wait to get the greedy paws on resources and land. The military and police are champing at the bit to be given free reign.

theratman

Executive Member
The UK is not a liberal country. None of the major political parties are liberal. Some of them choosing ironic names notwithstanding. Thus it would be quite hard to vote for liberals in the UK.

Now they're going to get right wing corruption with brutal oppression to boot. This guy looks like he's run a corrupt campaign. He's backed by a wealthy elite that can't wait to get the greedy paws on resources and land. The military and police are champing at the bit to be given free reign.
I've got Brazilian ex pat friends who say the climate is perfect for the rise of a extreme leaning group, but even they are a bit shocked. Don't get me wrong but I'd take Trump over him any day. I really hope it is not going to be as bad as it seems. I've been reading up more and he seems very rash and very vocal about his beliefs.

oliverwww

Expert Member
What did he do that was so horrible? All I see from people against him is some ridiculous emotional reasoning.
Not that he has done anything to my knowledge, but the things he has said are simply not okay. Its the 21st century, you shouldn't have to beat the gay out of someone...

Edit: Among other things he has also said that are wrong.