Bread Maker Appliance - homemade bread

snobee

Is a bread maker appliance worth it from a money point of view? I have no idea what goes into making homemade bread, but wondering if it is worth it, besides the possible convenience?

MickeyD

RIP
Unless you want to make a speciality type bread or are allergic to certain ingredients then the answer is NO, it is not worth it financially.

The total cost to make a single loaf exceeds the price of a store-bought loaf of standard white/brown bread.

phaktza

Executive Member
Is a bread maker appliance worth it from a money point of view? I have no idea what goes into making homemade bread, but wondering if it is worth it, besides the possible convenience?
Unlikely it will save you money, but you can have hot bread when you wake up! Also, once you have your favourite recipe you can have out every day, and it can be very exotic - think pinenuts and honey...

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
I bought one some time ago used it about 15 times (my wife actually) and never been able to get it right - waste of money and space in the kitchen imo.

froot

Honorary Master
A breadmaker is fun to play around with, but they don't last all that long. Ours (which cost like R4k or 5k back when) lasted around 2 years of moderate use before it gave up the ghost.

Josandre53

Unlikely it will save you money, but you can have hot bread when you wake up! Also, once you have your favourite recipe you can have out every day, and it can be very exotic - think pinenuts and honey...
Just hope that there is no power failure during the night because then you waste a lot of money.
To make your own bread is nice, but much more than from the shop.
Also nice to do your own creations.

Josandre53

I bought mine and it is somewhere in a box in the cupboard. Use it 3-4 times and that was it. Also it is very difficult to use, I do not know about other machine makes, but mine you have to be careful it is not standing in a draft, otherwise the bread fall flat. I wish I could read the manuel before I bought it. That is the problem with buying appliance, you only find out the pro's and con's once you get home and start to read the manuel.

Wyzak

Expert Member
I love mine, very simple to use and nothing beats waking up to the smell of fresh bread. I only had 1 bread flop so far and that it was because I used old yeast. We bough the Russell Hobbs one with which you can delay the bread starting time by about 10 hours, so you throw in the ingredients at night and have awesome bread in the morning when you wake up.

The price of the ingredients is very similar or even more expensive than store brought bread. But I don't mind paying a little extra for the convenience. It's also very nice for parties.

Wyzak

Expert Member
Just hope that there is no power failure during the night because then you waste a lot of money.
To make your own bread is nice, but much more than from the shop.
Also nice to do your own creations.
The Russell Hobbs one has a battery built in that can last something between 10 minutes and an hour or so depending on where in the stage it occurs.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The cost of a plain loaf are roughly the same whether you buy it or make it yourself. However the speciality breads you can make, including things like dough for pretzels and bagels, make it worthwhile for us.

Nuro

Expert Member
We use ours quite a lot. There is no comparison between the taste of store bought bread and home made.
Financially, it works out about the same. The fun part is playing with the recipes. Only had 2 or 3 flops, but it was because I tried to use too much yeast.

FNfal

Executive Member
Always wondered about these things and wanted to try one .
Are the ingredients freely available for like brown or health breads ??
The advantages that i can see here is you know what is in your bread if you make it your self .

phaktza

Executive Member
Always wondered about these things and wanted to try one .
Are the ingredients freely available for like brown or health breads ??
The advantages that i can see here is you know what is in your bread if you make it your self .
Mine came with a recipe book. Very way to use, for most breads you chuck all the ingredients in and leave it to do it's own thing!

scudsucker

Expert Member
It is easy to hand-make bread - no need for a machine.

Also while fresh bread smells wonderful in the morning, it is impossible to slice until it has stood for an hour or two.

phaktza

Executive Member
It is easy to hand-make bread - no need for a machine.

Also while fresh bread smells wonderful in the morning, it is impossible to slice until it has stood for an hour or two.
Not when you have to get up at 4am to do so ;-)

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I prefer to sleep while the machine does all the hard work.

You sound kneedy. :)
Pssh.... lame joke :p

Nah, its a nice way to spend a Sunday morning I find... make a loaf or two of bread.. then the late Sunday lunch is just that much better...

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
i bought one on the weekend.
picked it up second hand - used twice, dirt cheap.
living overseas, i miss the woollies seed bread & low gi loaves from SA.
a comparative loaf here will cost you around 50zar.
apparently white loaves are much easier to make - wholewheat and bran based breads don't contain much protein/gluten, so you have to coax the rising a bit by putting the yeast in tepid water with a bit of sugar, and giving it a longer proofing time.
i think you've got to be somebody who enjoys cooking to keep it going though.