BREAKING: President Donald Trump has been impeached for a historic second time

kidcolt

I get that, I’m asking if the Senate can continue with this process after Biden takes over (i.e. they still follow through and prevent Trump from running again).

I did a little reading and it looks like it’ll need to go to court for a decision on that.
I'm curious about this as well.

As the house would need to vote, then pass the article to the senate. The senate would then need to run a trial and then vote. Considering the speaker took over a month to pass the lass article to the senate, and current rules (to my knowledge) require all senators to be present... the previous impeachment pulled running candidates off their campaign trails. This time senators are away for covid.

Therefore I do not see this process finishing before the 20th, and I've never hear of a none sitting president being impeached.

daelm

Expert Member
I do hate to put a damp cloth on everyone's parade, but Trump would resign if the senate got close to the votes needed to impeach him.

As for criminal charges, that simply can't happen unless if the Democrats get rid of the 1st ammendment. Nothing Trump said even remotely comes close to the legal definition of incitement to violence.

criminal charges are way broader than his time in office. that's what he's been fighting to prevent - the whole Presidency gig was just him finding a grift, like he's been doing for decades.

in August, Deutsche Bank was subpoenaed for records of their and his money laundering. they complied. that was followed in December by them cutting ties with him, which they announced in January. shortly after that, his two personal bankers resigned to "spend time with their families". (i assume they mean, "before their families can only visit them once a month".)

there are a lot of charges piling up.

sjm

I think when Biden takes office the Senate will be 52 Democrats to 48 Republicans. The Senate needs a 2/3rds majority to convict so they need 67 guilty votes, 15 Republicans need to also vote guilty. Will be interesting indeed as I believe its not a secret ballot.

48 Democrats and 2 independents who caucus with the Democrats, 50 Republicans. In 50 - 50 votes the head of the Senate (VP Harris) will cast the deciding vote, which would go to the Democrats providing them with a majority

daelm

Expert Member
my point is, dont discount a mad dog,
hes planning something, legal or otherwise to get to be president again.

don't think so. he's planning to do what he's always done and what has worked for him since the 90s: throw enough sand and smoke and misdirection up that he can continue to evade prosecution for his long-running criminal failure of a business career.

edit: remember, it's this garbage person we're talking about

"...in November 2008, he had difficulty making payments on a $640 million Deutsch Bank loan – $40 million of which he guaranteed personally – he took out to finance the construction of the Trump tower in Chicago. He sued the bank for $3 billion, alleging it was partially responsible for the global financial crisis and, by extension, Trump’s inability to repay the loan."

DB gave in after endless lawsuits and agreed to settle for 40 bar or something, writing off $600 million. so he went to his personal banker at... wait for it ... Deutsche Bank, and got 40 bar on credit to pay them.

expect the same approach.

I'm curious about this as well.

As the house would need to vote, then pass the article to the senate. The senate would then need to run a trial and then vote. Considering the speaker took over a month to pass the lass article to the senate, and current rules (to my knowledge) require all senators to be present... the previous impeachment pulled running candidates off their campaign trails. This time senators are away for covid.

Therefore I do not see this process finishing before the 20th, and I've never hear of a none sitting president being impeached.

he's already impeached. the senate trial is now a piece of administrative business on their schedule and that can be slotted in whenever. there's a good chance that both parties will try to avoid it, for political reasons, but it's going to be tough to do because it's a mandatory consequence and the fact of the impeachment is an obstacle to waiving it.

Last edited:

eye_suc

Expert Member

Millions of impeaches, impeaches for me
Millions of impeaches, impeaches for free

konfab

Honorary Master
criminal charges are way broader than his time in office. that's what he's been fighting to prevent - the whole Presidency gig was just him finding a grift, like he's been doing for decades.

in August, Deutsche Bank was subpoenaed for records of their and his money laundering. they complied. that was followed in December by them cutting ties with him, which they announced in January. shortly after that, his two personal bankers resigned to "spend time with their families". (i assume they mean, "before their families can only visit them once a month".)

there are a lot of charges piling up.
Yeah no.

If the only reason for him becoming president was to evade criminal charges, then it would have been far easier for him to simply emigrate to Russia or some other country with no extradition treaty.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Nope.

He was protected from prosecution by his AG *while* sitting as president.

As citizen Trump he's in a world of hurt.

The Manhattan AG and SDNY have been building cases for nearly two years now, and last Wednesday will see criminal and civil cases lodged against him.

He deserves his day In Court - like every other citizen

daelm

Expert Member
Yeah no.

If the only reason for him becoming president was to evade criminal charges, then it would have been far easier for him to simply emigrate to Russia or some other country with no extradition treaty.

he can't, even though he's started seeding the "I might have to move to another country" idea. he's in too deep across all the businesses and it's a giant ponzi scheme. he removes a card and it all falls down. it's a financial hamster wheel.

not even taking into account that having his whole persona, brand, and lifestyle collapse, and becoming a fugitive, deters him.

Last edited:

zippy

Honorary Master
I do hate to put a damp cloth on everyone's parade, but Trump would resign if the senate got close to the votes needed to impeach him.

As for criminal charges, that simply can't happen unless if the Democrats get rid of the 1st ammendment. Nothing Trump said even remotely comes close to the legal definition of incitement to violence.

He has nothing to resign from if the Senate impeaches him after Biden takes office.

As far as his legal troubles are concerned I think he has bigger problems with New York

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Yeah, *he* changed party affiliation.

Here's an analogy:

I've been a Liverpool fan since the early 80s, but...

I'm a Manchester United fan now.

Am I United's club manager yet?

No?

Weird that, don't 'cah think eg2505? I mean I switched teams and everything.

Typical glory hunter - United top of the table for the first time in years and voila!

AdrianH

Expert Member
48 Democrats and 2 independents who caucus with the Democrats, 50 Republicans. In 50 - 50 votes the head of the Senate (VP Harris) will cast the deciding vote, which would go to the Democrats providing them with a majority

For guilty though it's a 2/3rds majority?