• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Bright Meteor Joburg

Zophos

Sure it was a meteor and not a spy satellite burning up....

But no, did not see it from Cresta side.

:D Might not have been a meteor. It was bright green. I've seen thousands and thousands of meteors, but never one in the daylight. So could've been junk.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
:D Might not have been a meteor. It was bright green. I've seen thousands and thousands of meteors, but never one in the daylight. So could've been junk.
Sounds pretty meteor-ish to me:
Why do meteors have a greenish color?
"These molecules emit light at green wavelengths, and can be bright enough to be seen with the naked eye. ... The most common metallic meteors are iron-nickel, so green is a common color."

Sounds pretty meteor-ish to me:
Why do meteors have a greenish color?
"These molecules emit light at green wavelengths, and can be bright enough to be seen with the naked eye. ... The most common metallic meteors are iron-nickel, so green is a common color."
Thanks, RaptorSA - I was beginning to doubt my own eyes.:)

Shirt. I wish. Hopefully aliens intent on destruction of the human race.
Hear me out. What if Elon Musk hates South Africa so much that when he emigrated he decided he'll start an aerospace company and launch rockets and satellites into space and when no longer in use, he'll bombard the country that tortured him so with space debris?

Zophos

Hear me out. What if Elon Musk hates South Africa so much that when he emigrated he decided he'll start an aerospace company and launch rockets and satellites into space and when no longer in use, he'll bombard the country that tortured him so with space debris?
I wanted to recommend a tinfoil hat, but with all the space debris that will be coming our way, maybe we should invest in a Kevlar helmet covered in tinfoil?