Bringing down the price of data is “uppermost” in plans – Zuma

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Bringing down the price of data is “uppermost” in plans – Zuma

“We assure the youth that the lowering of the cost of data is uppermost in our policies and plans,” President Jacob Zuma said during his 2017 State of the Nation Address.

Then you would have whipped your ministers into meeting the digital migration deadlines so that there would be tons of spectrum available for cheaper data. But you didn't. Which means you don't really care and it is not uppermost.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
It's funny that the parastatal Telkom is one of the most expensive for data etc except maybe mobile.

CeeBee

Expert Member
bringing down the house and the country seems to be first inline though.
talk talk talk unfortunately
bring in proper government, with proper structures and capable ministers, who know wtf going on in the tech sector should be more uppermost in a real president's mind

Genisys

Honorary Master
It's funny that the parastatal Telkom is one of the most expensive for data etc except maybe mobile.
Ranger mentioned a possible reason for this not too long ago if I remember correctly. I don't feel like finding the post, but it is somewhere on this forum.

HideInLight

Expert Member
Too much reliance 'out of bundle rates' and contracts.

Why would Afrihost and Axxess be R50 per gig on a monthly deduction but R100 on prepaid.

MTN currently offering 50Gig every month for 25 months for R380 a month(a deal for which I don't qualify)
But look again what you can get for R380 on prepaid?

Taking out contracts means the possibility of dealing with debt, why can't the networks offer prepaid data at similar rates than what you get on contract.

Why would someone get one gig for R100-R150 a gig on prepaid, and someone signing a contract gets a gig at R8?

klipdrifter

Too much reliance 'out of bundle rates' and contracts.

Why would Afrihost and Axxess be R50 per gig on a monthly deduction but R100 on prepaid.

MTN currently offering 50Gig every month for 25 months for R380 a month(a deal for which I don't qualify)
But look again what you can get for R380 on prepaid?

Taking out contracts means the possibility of dealing with debt, why can't the networks offer prepaid data at similar rates than what you get on contract.

Why would someone get one gig for R100-R150 a gig on prepaid, and someone signing a contract gets a gig at R8?

This! I get the fact that if you sign a contract they are sort of guaranteed a customer for the next 24 months, but that also guarantees a lot more admin work etc...

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
If zuma supports this and "wants" it... you can bet your bottom dollar that there is a financial spin-off for him personally. Somewhere somehow.