Britbox South Africa

GreatWmR

Expert Member
Just had a browse through there catalogue
Not bad but really disappointed in some missing shows

No Allo Allo, Red Dwarf, Tipping Point and weirdly... only the first 9 seasons of Midsummer murders?
Guess DSTV is keeping the other 13 seasons under lock and key for now

Also... WTH is with there top gear stuff, its only some specials and "Best of season x"

GreatWmR

Expert Member
Well i wasn't able to get it working on Android TV
I just keeps crashing
But casting it to TV from a phone works surprisingly well
Even better than YouTube at times

And it responds well to a VPN no errors or problems so far while watching Britbox USA

G.A.S

I do appreciate that they give their catalog on https://www.britbox.com/za/programmes - but are all of the shows available in SA? I can see it being useful over e.g. holiday periods.

Although from a quick look it is missing classics such as 'Allo 'Allo! and the The Brittas Empire...

GreatWmR

Expert Member
I do appreciate that they give their catalog on https://www.britbox.com/za/programmes - but are all of the shows available in SA? I can see it being useful over e.g. holiday periods.

Although from a quick look it is missing classics such as 'Allo 'Allo! and the The Brittas Empire...
Hopefully soon they'll add more shows
I see Britbox USA has them both and then some

RanzB

Honorary Master
All I wanted was Come Dine With Me :cautious: Can't find the SA show anywhere and I missed most of them on Catch Up.

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
All I wanted was Come Dine With Me :cautious: Can't find the SA show anywhere and I missed most of them on Catch Up.
we quite like that one, but can't find the SA one either. :( but if you like the british one and have a vpn that can put you in the uk, then you can register on channel4 and watch for free there. the ad breaks can sometimes be almost 4min (unless you pay around 4 squid pm), but it gives you time to go make supper, eat, bake a cake for dessert and have a pee.

Digitaluser

Britxbox doesn't support Android TV OS
Hopefully they will soon
Once I get home I will try and sideload the Britbox APK on my Skyworth TV to see how it goes
downloaded the APK but when you hit open it only goes to britbox logo and then back to file :confused:

SilverCode

Not supporting Android TV is a huge hole in potential subscribers. Everyone I know is either running a Xiaomi Mi device or an Nvidia Shield, including my folks who were really looking forward to this.

HowTo

Expert Member
Not working on my 2021 LG smart TV. (43" UHD)

Rephrase it works one moment. Then when open britbox again it ask me for the stupid code again.

Ok finally sorted.
Putting in the code via LG web browser does not work.
We put in via mobile phone.

Last edited:

Sumen

Expert Member
I see they say you can access britbox via tv channels on Apple TV app. Could be a way to access britbox on Android tv using the apple tv app.

j4ck455

Executive Member
BritBox has apps available for Android and Apple smartphones and tablets, Samsung and LG smart TVs, and media boxes like the Apple TV. You can also stream via the BritBox website.
No AndroidTV app.

As for the content, it is somewhat disappointing (especially since I've watched several of those on other platforms, maybe it would seem new and fresh if I had Alzheimer's).

mjzar

Using a 2020 LG Smart TV. I signed in the TV app yesterday. Its worked flawlessly for me so far as has the iOS app.
Probably won't stick with it though I already have a lot of this content, and disappointed with the few documentaries they have

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Line up looks a bit Meh. Most of the stuff they have that I'd watch, I've seen multiple times over the years.

I would recommend House of Cards which was a fantastic mini-series back in its day and the Sharpe series are quite enjoyable (and you might spot some early roles for British actors who have gone on to bigger things if you enjoy that sort of thing!)