Quintrix

Expert Member
Why do the networks always hammer on LTE spectrum when rural areas dont need LTE but just decent broadband. On a different occasion they would blame the state institutions for not rolling out networks in the rural areas. I am just wondering if the tune would be the same if these wanted LTE frequencies were just made available in rural areas?

Or is there some major point that I am miising by a mile?

Last edited:

Khulie

Great initiative if its not just all talk, coz they seem to be good at no action but words only, ;)

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
I am just wondering if the tune would be the same if these wanted LTE frequencies were just made available in rural areas?

Or is there some major point that I am miising by a mile?

Interestingly, Alan Knott-Craig has actually suggested that new spectrum be assigned with such a requirement. He reckons it'll force industry players to roll out to underserviced areas as quickly as possible so that they can get to the areas where they make money.

Network operators also suggested an open access wholesale network specifically to offer services in rural areas (obviously they still want their own spectrum for use in profitable areas).

From all the talk shops I've attended and suggestions I've heard there do seem to be compromises that would be mostly acceptable to both the government's development objectives and the operators' profit motive. It just needs to get done.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
what do you take to be decent broadband?

The radio network fundis will have to confirm but I actually suspect that with LTE you are looking at ranges on some frequencies of up to 100Km now when you share this between lots of people the speeds are pretty bad but you can get really good rural coverage. LTE is not about speed. It is about the Long Term Evolution of GSM (and CDMA actually) into an all-IP network architecture that uses technology smartly.

At the end of the day deep in the bundu can only realistically depend on satellite based broadband access but this shouldn't be a crisis if the overall ecosystem works.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
When a Government department claims to work tirelessly then you know the opposite is true.

MickeyD

RIP
what do you take to be decent broadband?

The radio network fundis will have to confirm but I actually suspect that with LTE you are looking at ranges on some frequencies of up to 100Km now when you share this between lots of people the speeds are pretty bad but you can get really good rural coverage. LTE is not about speed. It is about the Long Term Evolution of GSM (and CDMA actually) into an all-IP network architecture that uses technology smartly.

At the end of the day deep in the bundu can only realistically depend on satellite based broadband access but this shouldn't be a crisis if the overall ecosystem works.
Which is why I asked for the definition (as per the DoC)....

All network operators have a single purpose and that is to generate shareholder value; they are not NPOs. It makes zero business sense to roll out state-of-the-art networks in underserviced areas where there is virtually zero returns.

The only reason they would do so is if they are regulated to do so as an incentive for additional spectrum allocation.

As per the current broadband definition, 99% of South Africa is covered for broadband. Whether it is affordable and the quality thereof is another matter!

grok

Honorary Master
The Department of Communications says they are working tirelessly to ensure that no area in South Africa is without broadband infrastructure

Seems like the DoC gets tired quite quickly ..

entrepr

Expert Member
“We must work together to ensure that internet services are affordable to all our people

Funny, we've been approaching DOC for years now to 'work together'. So far it's been very one-sided from our side

Last edited:

Myboom

How the Hell do you become deputy minister with these qualifications???

Education Background:
Completed her Matric at Holy Cross Secondary School in Mthatha
Studied Advanced certificate in Project Management at Rhodes University
Completed Project Management Diploma with Cranefields College
Completed Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation Diploma in Telecommunications and Management Systems
Currently doing Masters in Business Administration (MBA) with Regent Business School
Studying towards Post Graduate Certificate in Telecommunication, Policy and Regulation Management with Wits University

She must be spreading her legs for additional qualifications... beware the shower head.

Last edited:

FNfal

Executive Member
Bla bla bla dont talk just do it, sick and tired of hearing the same bull shyt .
JUST DO IT ALREADY.

MickeyD

RIP
Bla bla bla dont talk just do it, sick and tired of hearing the same bull shyt .
JUST DO IT ALREADY.
Unless they amend their definition of broadband and include affordability clauses, they don't need to do a thing!!!!

The current definition of broadband brings satellite services into the frame, which covers all the "dead" spots on the SA map.

Ergo - all South Africans have ACCESS to a broadband service.

Haldex

Expert Member
“To roll out LTE with re-farmed spectrum is to buy a Ferrari and trying to run it on paraffin,” said van Zyl.

He used a car analogy!:eek:

drukkie

Expert Member
Guys everyone has access to broadband....just install a satellite dish...voila...
the problem is affordable BB....

siraman

Expert Member
Unless they amend their definition of broadband and include affordability clauses, they don't need to do a thing!!!!

The current definition of broadband brings satellite services into the frame, which covers all the "dead" spots on the SA map.

Ergo - all South Africans have ACCESS to a broadband service.

Aha! Me speechless......

siraman

Expert Member
Yep, nowhere in the current DoC broadband definition does it state that it must be fixed line services...

Exactly MickeyD just been afraid to ask what this "Broadband for everyone" is, when I could practically get it just about anywhere in South Africa on fixed,mobile and Satellite, with no mention of affordability. Whew!! Thanx for clearing that up for me,was starting to get a swollen head.