Broadband ought to be a regulated utility like electricity

Synaesthesia

Executive Member

Just read this article and it echoes how I feel about internet. We ought to have a national internet service. It worked for Korea and Kenya, both of which have cheaper and more accessible internet than SA.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
We had one. It was called Telkom.
Get out of the cave and welcome to 2021.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
It should be considered an essential service. Those without internet are greatly disadvantaged.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Ive been saying this for years. It should be considered an essential service.
You along with journalists, some in the UN and a lot of other people. Pretty sure if we dig hard enough Julius would've said it too by now.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
No, like been able to email your CV to apply for jobs, getting educated through services like Youtube and applying for jobs on employment websites.
That's what school is there for.
There's 12 years prior set out to achieve that.
Even 30% or less pass rate doesn't matter. There's no denying the internet is beneficial. But it sure as hell can't be attributed to the education of a population.

Regulated utility /= national service

BIG difference.
Petrol = regulated utility
Eskom = national service

RedViking

Nord of the South
No, like been able to email your CV to apply for jobs, getting educated through services like Youtube and applying for jobs on employment websites.
Basic access is necessary. That is the plan with free public wifi hotspots. But don't expect it to happen in a hurry, specially if government is behind it.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
That's what school is there for.
There's 12 years prior set out to achieve that.
Even 30% or less pass rate doesn't matter. There's no denying the internet is beneficial. But it sure as hell can't be attributed to the education of a population.
Schools should all be offering Internet to their students. Though, they cant even offer flushing toilets (to all EC schools) yet, so we do have a far way to go

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Basic access is a necessity. That is the plan with free public wifi hotspots. But don't expect it to happen in a hurry, specially if government is behind it.
ftfy, but you right. Our government is so far behind on this its really hurting our futures.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Regulated utility /= national service

BIG difference.
Petrol = regulated utility
Eskom = national service
Even so. It's a ridiculous idea.
ISP's make money due to services they offer.
If all of them have to receive a collective amount of R5 per GB across the board (regulated), then what is the incentive to innovate and improve?
It's another form of communist tactics.
Schools should all be offering Internet to their students.
Not my issue if they do or if they don't.
I didn't have internet at school. I did pretty well.
The internet won't improve anything, if the person doesn't.
It's a tool to use and nothing more.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Not my issue if they do or if they don't.
I didn't have internet at school. I did pretty well.
Your great great grandparents didnt have electricity, flushing toilets or a car. They did pretty well.

I get that you dont understand why the internet is a necessity. I dont agree with you at all, but I understand your view.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Schools should all be offering Internet to their students. Though, they cant even offer flushing toilets (to all EC schools) yet, so we do have a far way to go
Well, it is not really always the schools fault. The whole system is absolutely corrupt and dysfunctional, nevermind vandalism and those in charge stealing funds, I doubt the funds even make it to the schools.

But as always, the next move is to put the burden on the private sector.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Your great great grandparents didnt have electricity, flushing toilets or a car. They did pretty well.

I get that you dont understand why the internet is a necessity. I dont agree with you at all, but I understand your view.
I don't know how you reason.
You pay Eskom a fee, since you use their grid. If you are an Eskom customer, which most are.
Then your money is used, hopefully, to continue that service.

There's multiple ISP's in this country. Massive, small, medium and the list goes on.
Do you expect these thousands of people working in this industry to just sit back and give over their hard work to receive a measly minimum regulated fee?
Fk that.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I don't know how you reason.
You pay Eskom a fee, since you use their grid. If you are an Eskom customer, which most are.
Then your money is used, hopefully, to continue that service.

There's multiple ISP's in this country. Massive, small, medium and the list goes on.
Do you expect these thousands of people working in this industry to just sit back and give over their hard work to receive a measly minimum regulated fee?
Fk that.
In todays society and the way the world has evolved, just over the last couple of years, access to the Internet has become as essential as access to water. It is not just a tool anymore, it is a substance as everything now relies on it. Every system, every communication system, knowledge, daily functions, from private to government to domestic.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member

Just read this article and it echoes how I feel about internet. We ought to have a national internet service. It worked for Korea and Kenya, both of which have cheaper and more accessible internet than SA.
Money=The Flow of Resources....In relation to Nature, Money, Resources, Population Numbers. You cannot print money indefinately unless you have infinate all the resources from Nature(Unrefind for use) in you country. If you run out of these, you die. Thats how mother Nature deals with Money game.
Your Resources(Refined for use in the Game of LIfe today, ideology is irrelavant) you depend on, no choice:
When its a basic resource, it must have protection from Corruption, Greed, Max Profit at all costs etc=The reason is, you dont have a choice in the sense you cannot ignore it if you cannot afford it, you need it to live. This is not against the Capitalistic Ideology or any other ideology, its just to prevent them from exponentially imploding on their taxpayer's base as it binds monetary systems, giving you little basic for loads of money.

These are not the place to get rich ultra quick on the back of most.
Primary basic Resources
1-Water(Nature)
2-Electricity(Man made)
3-Digital Era(New 1992+)-(Abstract Conponents)-(Embdded everywhere)-(Prone to corruption, security issues etc).(Hopelessly overvalued)

Secondary basic Resources
1-Health Care. Its was affordable and simple before 1992, now its over complicated and ridiculously expensive.
2-Fuel. You have to travel to work, every thing gets transported, if its loaded, everything binds up.
3-Internet(New):Well if you have to do banking or buying over internet, then this becomes a basic resource, you have no choice, and even if you have a choice, it does not make a difference over a long period as is.

TAX/Levies/Admin Costs/Willy Nilly costs:(Excessive)
Excessive taxation is a Symptom there is very high level corruption present in a monetary system anywhere in the world. Inflation rising your costs is replaced by channelling race rising your costs. Cycles get shorter and shorter.
If any of these are expensive, or loaded from corruption/greed, so are your budget, individual, small bussineses, etc, so you have less money to save, spend on food, spend on anything etc. This means a large cut of money printed does not circulate by your actions as it should but channelled away from under you the citizen, bancrupting individuals, small bussinesses and local authorities and even some countries, it may get to a point where its too complicated to reverse and the situation has to run itself to pieces, you don't want that to happen.. The rich can still be rich, just be honest and a bit more patient.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
In todays society and the way the world has evolved, just over the last couple of years, access to the Internet has become as essential as access to water. It is not just a tool anymore, it is a substance as everything now relies on it. Every system, every communication system, knowledge, daily functions, from private to government to domestic.
I don't agree.
I know multiple people with massively successful lives that hardly use the Internet. It's easy to blame lack of education based on no Internet availability. If you don't want to learn. You won't. Finish en klaar.