Budding writers

Are there any amateur/budding/unpublished writers on this forum? I can't seem to find any subject on this anywhere. Would be lovely to have a thread for this as I am an unpublished writer.:cool:

Sepeng

Expert Member
So I'm not but got a good friend that's recently had their 3rd book approved by their agent for publishing and I'm amazed at the amount of work that goes into it - not just the research and writing part, but the rewriting and then the marketing aspect. They've been on many tours, book fairs, radio stations, they wrote to Oprah, Trevor Noah - it's a proper grind to get your name out there, get publicity.
It's also fascinating to hear how they go about writing, where they get inspiration from.
This person was an architect before they decided they wanted to start writing, took a course at UCT I think, never looked back.
I'm trying to write more, not novels or anything, really just writing more - reviews, opinion pieces - just to get into the habit. It's tough - I tend to start things OK but then it becomes messy (my wife says she's not surprised by this...) - but fun, but takes me a while to write anything so don't do it as much as I'd like.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Are there any amateur/budding/unpublished writers on this forum? I can't seem to find any subject on this anywhere. Would be lovely to have a thread for this as I am an unpublished writer.:cool:
Whatever you do, please for the love of all the literary gods, do not "self publish".

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
your written word, so that it can be downloaded to another machine does not make you an author, any more than me buying a stethoscope allows me to be called a doctor. A “singer” is someone who sings. A “professional singer” is someone who makes a living from singing. There is a stark contrast between being a writer and being a professional author.
https://goodereader.com/blog/commentary/self-publishers-should-not-be-called-authors

What I’m referring to, however, is the self-publishing of print books, such as novels and how-to guides. Despite my long-time love affair with the Internet and with user-generated content in general, I despise the self-publishing industry and all it stands for.

I believe that self-publishing provides a disservice not only to writers, but also to readers.
https://samtamlyn.wordpress.com/articles/self-publishing-sucks/

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I find it a lot like these morons that are so called youtube stars. Please kill me now.
I prefer Stephen King's take on the matter.

If you pay your electricity bill using money you earned from writing, then you are a writer.

That is the definition I like. You don't have to study a degree in English Lit or be published by Random House. You just have to earn money by doing it. If people are willing to pay you money for your written word, then you are a writer.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
I write a short story or some rhymes every once in a while.
Post on Tumblr occasionally.

I agree that you are not a writer unless you get paid for it though, so won't call myself that.

"The office door opened with a bang against the wall.
Roger jumped in his chair.
"What the...?!"
A woman entered the room. She was tall, lithe, wearing a long black leather trenchcoat which covered her from neck to ankle. There was a black trilby sitting at an angle on top of her head. In her hand she held a .45, the muzzle of which was pointed directly at him."

Right.....any inventive writers to get this going:cool:?? Gothic might be a good start.....

Daruk

Honorary Master
I find it a lot like these morons that are so called youtube stars. Please kill me now.
Did you notice the links you posted were blogs articles? Now if that's not the epitome of modern self-publishing, nothing is.
Of course this stuff never applies to those spewing it. :rolleyes:

Daruk

Honorary Master
I write a short story or some rhymes every once in a while.
Post on Tumblr occasionally.

I agree that you are not a professional writer unless you get paid for it though, so won't call myself that.
FTFY
So what's wrong with being an amateur writer? The world is full of talented amateurs.
Mortymoose is a great example.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
FTFY
So what's wrong with being an amateur writer? The world is full of talented amateurs.
Mortymoose is a great example.
Nothing wrong with it. I am one myself. Claiming to be a writer is, in my opinion however, obnoxious.
The way I see it, if you have work published (not by yourself on the internet) then you can claim you are a writer.
Everyone can write, but not everyone is a writer.

/snip
Right.....any inventive writers to get this going:cool:?? Gothic might be a good start.....
First rule of creative writing: Show, don't tell.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Nothing wrong with it. I am one myself. Claiming to be a writer is, in my opinion however, obnoxious.
So you're obnoxious now?
The way I see it, if you have work published (not by yourself on the internet) then you can claim you are a writer.
Everyone can write, but not everyone is a writer.
Yet you say 'I am one myself'. Or do you mean you have been published?

Writing is a broad discipline
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_writing_occupations

Daruk

Honorary Master
I write as an amateur.
I do not claim I am a 'writer'

You do not have to agree with me. As I said, it's just my opinion.
Do what you will.
I'm not asking your opinion, I'm debating definition. Either you use the dictionary definition or you reject it and make your own, right?

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
I'm not asking your opinion, I'm debating definition. Either you use the dictionary definition or you reject it and make your own, right?
By definition you are a writer if you write e-mails all day.
I'm not going to argue about nonsense all day either.
Cheers.

Daruk

Honorary Master
By definition you are a writer if you write e-mails all day.
I'm not going to argue about nonsense all day either.
Cheers.
Debating upsets you?
A writer writes. You can write crap, it doesn't mean you're not a writer. Many published authors write crap IMO.
A professional writer does it for a living. Nothing wrong with that definition if you ask me. Of course you're free to have your own definitions.