Budget 2020 - Big tax increases on alcohol and tobacco

mister

Executive Member
What ya gonna do Tits when Madame Doek bans them again?

adrianx

Expert Member
I wonder how many people who never even considered narcotics before are now going to start switching to them?

...and I'm not talking about the nice kind.

lucifir

Expert Member
Just another stupid idea that will actually decrease the tax collected as more will move to the black market.
Look at the cigarette trade as an example of what happens when you over tax an item, people just buy the "illicit" cigarettes and the gov lose the entire tax portion of that product

Temujin

Honorary Master
Working hard to expanding the already expanded illicit trade... :thumbsup:

Neuk_

Executive Member
For @Papa Smurf it works out to a few extra thousand rand a year.

Those that wait till Friday to get their pay check and head straight to the bottle store couldn't give a **** what it costs extra per year. History will show once more, than sin taxes do very little to curb sin, just like prohibition doesn't really prohibit, anything.

diapason

Expert Member
Big tax increases on alcohol and tobacco

Finance Minister Tito Mboweni delivered his 2021 Budget today, which include significant tax increases on alcohol and tobacco products.

Mboweni said it is clear that excessive alcohol consumption can lead to negative social and health outcomes.

“Consumers do react to price increases, and higher prices should lead to lower consumption of alcohol products with positive spinoffs,” he said.

The Finance Minister subsequently announced an 8% increase in the excise duties on alcohol and tobacco products.
Your heading should be Budget 2021.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Those that wait till Friday to get their pay check and head straight to the bottle store couldn't give a **** what it costs extra per year. History will show once more, than sin taxes do very little to curb sin, just like prohibition doesn't really prohibit, anything.
Speeding fines do nothing to curb speeding. It's just an extra source of revenue.

krycor

Honorary Master
Although I have issues with the DA, they are a million times better than the ANC. Not even in the same league...not sure if you live in CT or not, but you can literally see how much infrastructure is better maintained than in Gauteng. We also have Steenbras to reduce load-shedding frequency etc.

Uhm.. no. I suggest you go live in Gauteng. In 10yrs a lot changed up there from suburbs coming up from nothing with relevant infrastructure(though not always entirely) with many new economic centers too.

I suspect people in Cpt have a bad sense scale and since living up there I see the city for what it is.. pathetic spatial distribution (not just due to geography) and I suspect due to home prices being kept up(if you make transit easier, distribute economic centers, etc it has a negative impact on prices).

You will understand this if you live elsewhere. 2ndly the transformational impact of “good” living areas in Gauteng is amazing..? Not growing fast enough there and Gautrain taking it’s sweet time to grow sucks but I can’t say the same in Cpt. It’s pathetic here.. and I’m sorry but this is why people keep saying the city is racist.. it’s structural problem. They support opposing highway improvements but what have they done to improve the situation ? The highways etc hasn’t been improved since the 80s and last bug improvement was for the northern suburbs.. like duh!

rvZA

Executive Member
Basically, our tax increases this year are primarily to finance Covid injections....

vigras rojara

Expert Member
Uhm.. no. I suggest you go live in Gauteng. In 10yrs a lot changed up there from suburbs coming up from nothing with relevant infrastructure(though not always entirely) with many new economic centers too.

I suspect people in Cpt have a bad sense scale and since living up there I see the city for what it is.. pathetic spatial distribution (not just due to geography) and I suspect due to home prices being kept up(if you make transit easier, distribute economic centers, etc it has a negative impact on prices).

You will understand this if you live elsewhere. 2ndly the transformational impact of “good” living areas in Gauteng is amazing..? Not growing fast enough there and Gautrain taking it’s sweet time to grow sucks but I can’t say the same in Cpt. It’s pathetic here.. and I’m sorry but this is why people keep saying the city is racist.. it’s structural problem. They support opposing highway improvements but what have they done to improve the situation ? The highways etc hasn’t been improved since the 80s and last bug improvement was for the northern suburbs.. like duh!
We're moving a bit off topic here, but as a born and bred Capetonian who has also lived in JHB, I prefer JHB.

Anyway, back to the horrors of 14 cents more for a beer...

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
  • Haha
Reactions: air