Budget phone recommendations

Speedster

Honorary Master
FIL is looking to replace guys 6yr old Huawei P10lite. Any recommendations for the best budget phone around?

I'm leaving towards recommending a Samsung A14 (i.e. last year's model) but am not too familiar with the competition. Are there any decent options from Poco/Xiaomi/Honor etc? Keep in mind he's in his mid-70s so essentially needs a pretty basic phone that just works.

Get a Samsung A33 or A34 - Gorilla glass n must!
A34 is surprisingly good, the only issue with stronger gorilla glass is it actually scratches easily, so get a screen protector. But otherwise that A34 top contender there

Thanks gents. Only challenge with A34 is the price. It seems to be going at about R5 500. FIL was looking at half that. Man, I miss the old cheap Nokia days

FIL is looking to replace guys 6yr old Huawei P10lite. Any recommendations for the best budget phone around?

I'm leaving towards recommending a Samsung A14 (i.e. last year's model) but am not too familiar with the competition. Are there any decent options from Poco/Xiaomi/Honor etc? Keep in mind he's in his mid-70s so essentially needs a pretty basic phone that just works.
We bought the Samsung Galaxy A15 for my wife in March for R3389 to replace her old S8. She does not use all the features on her phone. Mainly phoning, whatsapp and facebook. For these uses she is very happy with this phone so far.

guys says the honor and xiomis are good
Not Xiaomi anymore, perhaps 3 years ago and before, but basically after that they just released the same phone over and over with a number change...

given that it's for your FIL

1713358670802.png
Quick Spec
Display – 6.7"
Memory - 4GB RAM | 64GB ROM
Camera - Rear Camera: 50.0 MP + 2.0 MP | Front Camera: 8.0MP
SIM - Dual SIM
Battery – 5000 mAh

1713358714953.png
Quick Spec:
Display – 6.79" FHD+ DotDisplay
Memory – 4GB RAM | 128GB ROM
Camera - Rear Camera: 50GB + 8MP + 2MP | Front Camera: 8MP
SIM - Dual SIM | SIM1 + Hybrid
Battery - 5000 mAh

given that it's for your FIL

View attachment 1692833
Quick Spec
Display – 6.7"
Memory - 4GB RAM | 64GB ROM
Camera - Rear Camera: 50.0 MP + 2.0 MP | Front Camera: 8.0MP
SIM - Dual SIM
Battery – 5000 mAh

View attachment 1692835
Quick Spec:
Display – 6.79" FHD+ DotDisplay
Memory – 4GB RAM | 128GB ROM
Camera - Rear Camera: 50GB + 8MP + 2MP | Front Camera: 8MP
SIM - Dual SIM | SIM1 + Hybrid
Battery - 5000 mAh
That's a lot of phone for the money, pity they are so big though, it'd be nice to have the same specs but in a 5.5" display

Definitely the Samsung A series , whatever is in the budget. Definitely not a Xiaomi as they have endless issues. I've bought so many Xiaomi's for myself and family and they all have issues.

Back