Build hospitals instead of DESTROY THE ECONOMY repeatedly?

thechamp

Honorary Master
The 21 days is not going to achieve much the virus will still be around after 21 days and will continue on to its inevitable conclusion .
In my opinion the government has acted hastily with not enough information .
As for mister Bheki Cele he is loving this lock down , he is now able to push his personal agendas .
This government has consistently fu(ked up for 26 years and now every one is trusting them :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
But how is stopping people from travelling not going to help? I don't think anyone said the virus will be eradicated after 21 days but surely it's common sense that stopping me from travelling to my rural home to possibly infect people with inadequate health services and weak immune systems is a good idea?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
But how is stopping people from travelling not going to help? I don't think anyone said the virus will be eradicated after 21 days but surely it's common sense that stopping me from travelling to my rural home to possibly infect people with inadequate health services and weak immune systems is a good idea?
There have been mutterings from ministers that this lockdown is meant to break the virus... of course the people who have a clue (the doctors etc) know that this will just slow the spread...

The problem though, is that its not stopping you from travelling to your rural home, many many people have done so, or are in the process of doing so now so if anything, they have sped up the rate of infection across the country with the lockdown. We can hope the 3 weeks is enough for it falter somewhat.

thechamp

Honorary Master
There have been mutterings from ministers that this lockdown is meant to break the virus... of course the people who have a clue (the doctors etc) know that this will just slow the spread...

The problem though, is that its not stopping you from travelling to your rural home, many many people have done so, or are in the process of doing so now so if anything, they have sped up the rate of infection across the country with the lockdown. We can hope the 3 weeks is enough for it falter somewhat.
I think the fear of being prevented from returning is enough to discourage a lot as many cannot afford the indefinite stay.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I think the fear of being prevented from returning is enough to discourage a lot as many cannot afford the indefinite stay.
In General for some yes...

But enough are leaving to go "home" for the lockdown.

grok

Honorary Master
This government has consistently fu(ked up for 26 years and now every one is trusting them :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
This. The same guys that gave us Zooma & looked the other way for the Gooptas, plus killed every SOE they could get their grubby paws on, now says trust us for we no da wei.. lol!

FNfal

Executive Member
What will happen today is every one that comes from the rural area will be going back there , so there is a mass migration happening as we speak .
This whole lock down is not going to end well for the poor people .
And do not for one minute think we only have about a thousand people infected by the virus , the infection rate is many more than the confirmed cases as most people do not show symptoms of the virus .

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
I'm creating this thread to stimulate some open minded thinking. A thought exercise in problem solving.
I encourage you to read the whole thread before you reply. Even if you strongly disagree with something I say, because maybe you didn't think of everything said here or know everything mentioned in this thread. Let's consider everything first, share what we know and look at the big picture together.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and give the point a good push. So don't get too upset. Let's hold hands. I mean bump elbows... or wave, and chat about it.
That sounds great. The right wing talking points and Fox news links have torn the arse out of your 'good intentions' though, it seems pretty clear that this post is nothing more than concern trolling.

I'm personally abstaining from political debate during lockdown, so bye. It would be nice to have a rational science based discussion like this though, just saying.

RedViking

Nord of the South
1. First of all, we still have the same government. Massive Problem. Look at the state of the government hospitals. How are they going to run new hospitals?

2. Lockdown is necessary to slow down the spread, not stop it. There is no other option. 21 days is not enough. They will need to double it at least after how many people went out and got infected the last couple of days. Yes, we can lockdown, but if we don't have a solution in place, such as more healthcare facilities, or better capacity in staff to treat people, it will not help.

3. Building more facilities under current government and race based and other empowerment laws will take many years. We don't have many years.

The conclusion.

We are screwed and will just have to live with the natural order of events like we have done so far. They should or should not do this or that is beside the point. They do not care what you or I think or what it does to people. We must just try to find a way to live between all the broken pieces.

Hang in there my people!!

Last edited:

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
You can build 100 hospitals in 100 days, but you can't train the thousands of new doctors , nurses, support personnel, etc, to staff those hospitals in 100 days. Heck you can't even train a thousand new graduate doctors within 3 years with the current education system. A hospital building without the required medical personnel is just a morgue.