Building a R200,000 beast gaming PC

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

While it is possible to build a competent gaming PC in South Africa for under R20,000, if you want a machine with the latest and best hardware it will cost you well over R200,000, a MyBroadband search for the best prices on top components has revealed.

To put these amounts in perspective, the BankservAfrica Take-home Pay Index for April 2021 showed that the average take-home pay in South Africa is currently around R15,083.

A lower-end gaming PC therefore costs around an average person’s monthly take-home salary in South Africa, while our dream rig costs more than the average annual salary.

MeestaR

Expert Member
It seems I have to give both my legs, one kidney and some other appendages to get this dream machine.

TEFMT (too expensive for my taste)

We have bigger problems than a R200K machine. Solar/backup systems for the load shedding, etc.

ubercal

Expert Member

While it is possible to build a competent gaming PC in South Africa for under R20,000, if you want a machine with the latest and best hardware it will cost you well over R200,000, a MyBroadband search for the best prices on top components has revealed.

To put these amounts in perspective, the BankservAfrica Take-home Pay Index for April 2021 showed that the average take-home pay in South Africa is currently around R15,083.

A lower-end gaming PC therefore costs around an average person’s monthly take-home salary in South Africa, while our dream rig costs more than the average annual salary.
200k for a gaming machine ..... but why ?

Paul Bedford

I just spent nearly R150k on a similar machine (i9 processor, only 2 hard drives and 64GB Ram) that has yet to see a game played on it. I built it for live sport video streaming.

Sollie

Honorary Master
Imho, SARS needs to trace these in the same spirit as they want to do with those luxury cars. No sane person working for his money will pay that.

All those fans? We simply don't have the Eskom power to attempt global cooling all on our own.

Thanks for being slightly sane, rather going the the 16k AMD as opposed to the 90k one ... :sneaky:

:laugh:

hj007

Expert Member
So how does it do in the benchmarks? Oh nevermind..
Nice looking setup though.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I just spent nearly R150k on a similar machine (i9 processor, only 2 hard drives and 64GB Ram) that has yet to see a game played on it. I built it for live sport video streaming.

So why is this better than a 4K TV + a streaming device (Apple TV, Chromecast etc) ?

JohnMao

Executive Member
This is like those articles where tech C-series execs pay themselves these huge bonuses for cutting jobs. Not necessary.
Should maybe look at comparing what you could rather do realistically with that money. If I won the Lotto I still wouldn't pay R200k for a PC because that's just harsh considering the country we live in.

Paul Bedford

So why is this better than a 4K TV + a streaming device (Apple TV, Chromecast etc) ?
Not for streaming for me to watch at home. Up to 8 cameras around a race track coming in, the ability to record all of them individually, put graphics overlays on, stream instant slow-motion replays of incidents and put highlights packages together to stream in between races. Commentary coming in via a separate 4-channel audio mixer.

Almost certainly overkill at the moment as we are only recording in 1080p but once we change all of the cameras to 4k then it will start to work.

MeestaR

Expert Member
Not for streaming for me to watch at home. Up to 8 cameras around a race track coming in, the ability to record all of them individually, put graphics overlays on, stream instant slow-motion replays of incidents and put highlights packages together to stream in between races. Commentary coming in via a separate 4-channel audio mixer.

Almost certainly overkill at the moment as we are only recording in 1080p but once we change all of the cameras to 4k then it will start to work.
Where is this "racetrack"? Sounds nice for the setup you got there...

TheBadMadMan

Ah, a broadcast setup. Noice. Public stream? Linky?