Building a SteamOS gaming console – South African pricing

cerebus

Honorary Master
Why would anyone do this when Windows 10 is basically free?

cerebus

Honorary Master

More or less; it's very easy to get it for free, if you have a preexisting version of Windows or 'need' assistive technologies. Point is, honestly, what is the advantage to get SteamOS? Does it do anything useful but play Steam games?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Lol R8,800 and that's supposed to be budget. Just buy a console, at least they can do more than just play games these days...

Genisys

Honorary Master
More or less; it's very easy to get it for free, if you have a preexisting version of Windows or 'need' assistive technologies. Point is, honestly, what is the advantage to get SteamOS? Does it do anything useful but play Steam games?
If I were to build a PC, I'd actually take Windows 10 as the OS. Most AAA titles run on Windows.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Lol R8,800 and that's supposed to be budget. Just buy a console, at least they can do more than just play games these days...

I agree; if I didn't work on my PC I'd rather just get a console.

Neoprod

Honorary Master

Upfront costs are higher but you don't need a subscription to play online, I guess (also, I would say the hardware in the machine above is better than either console). Also there are apps for SteamOS - last I checked, Netflix had gotten on-board.

The biggest problem I see is that devs aren't necessarily incentivised to release games on SteamOS.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Upfront costs are higher but you don't need a subscription to play online, I guess (also, I would say the hardware in the machine above is better than either console). Also there are apps for SteamOS - last I checked, Netflix had gotten on-board.

The biggest problem I see is that devs aren't necessarily incentivised to release games on SteamOS.

A 470? Meh you'll probably get equal or better visuals from PS4 Pro if you have an HDR TV, and certainly from Scorpio. I think it's not such better hardware that it makes a clear difference.

LOM

Honorary Master
I agree; if I didn't work on my PC I'd rather just get a console.

You will curse the fact that you traded your mouse and keyboard for a console control. Just saying.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
A 470? Meh you'll probably get equal or better visuals from PS4 Pro if you have an HDR TV, and certainly from Scorpio. I think it's not such better hardware that it makes a clear difference.

PS4 Pro and RX 470 are both Polaris-based...doubt one supports HDR and the other doesn't.

LOM

Honorary Master
:D right now I'm playing mostly emulated games anyway. But then again I'll miss my 4k Zelda

Oh, I hear you on Zelda. Hows that going? I'm waiting for the kids to get down for hols before I buy it.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master

At R600 per year for online, it will be 5 years before a console ends up costing as much. And you would have gotten at least 120 free games in that time.

In the same time frame, you would probably have had to upgrade your gfx card and a few other things.

The hardware may be a bit better (certainly not the RAM though) at the moment, but you'll never need to upgrade the console as games will be developed specifically run optimally on the platform, which is not always the case on PC. So if you have neither a console nor a PC, it makes better sense to go with the PS4 Pro or Scorpio, rather than a Steam OS box...

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Will jump on board with the Scorpio. That coupled with a Surface phone for a phone and PC makes it a win-win-win scenario.

ShloshMalosh

Expert Member
HI Guys

Wheres the best place in cape town to get advice on upgrading my PC

I ONLY play DOTA 2 and thinking about playing Paragon.... I have an i7 (1st gen 2.93Ghz), 8 GB RAM and a OEM GT 310 GPU running of a OEM 280W PSU

My brother in law worked in IT at a corporate and picked this up for me about 2 years ago for under a grand.

I dont wanna spend much. I also dont want a total gaming beast.

All i wanna do is play DOTA at better resolution and also Paragon.

any assistance is appreciated
Thanks

Last edited:

SilverCode

HIS Radeon RX 470 IceQ OC 4GB
As a Linux gamer, I would suggest staying away from AMD for now if you want trouble free console experience. The AMDGPU driver is a lot better than the old Catalyst driver for the newer cards, but most porting houses (Ferral, Aspyr, Virtual Programming) typically target NVidia as their base because they tend to have the more stable/performant OpenGL drivers. This is changing quite rapidly though as the new driver stack matures, and Vulkan starts gaining popularity, but unless you know what you are doing, stick to NVidia for gaming on Linux.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
At R600 per year for online, it will be 5 years before a console ends up costing as much. And you would have gotten at least 120 free games in that time.

In the same time frame, you would probably have had to upgrade your gfx card and a few other things.

The hardware may be a bit better (certainly not the RAM though) at the moment, but you'll never need to upgrade the console as games will be developed specifically run optimally on the platform, which is not always the case on PC. So if you have neither a console nor a PC, it makes better sense to go with the PS4 Pro or Scorpio, rather than a Steam OS box...

The bold bit depends...if you approach it like a console where the performance settings are generally AUTO'd for the user, I'm pretty sure the longevity would be better given the PC hardware is better. If I were building one of these for my nephews, I would set it to 720p or something similar and use up-scaling much like the consoles do. That would provide a lot of performance headroom.

The free games are pretty awesome, no lie. I think my nephew got Little Big Planet the other day - it's pretty fun. Without the SSD in the Steam PC, the difference in cost is around 1 year's subscription fee (going by Takealot's price of the 1Tb PS4 Pro).

Not a fan of either really...mouse and keyboard for me. And that means a desk which is kinda weird in a lounge.