Building/waterproofing: Sidewall flashing for tiled roof

buffoon1

Hi

Do you have experience with either/both of these products for flashing between tiled roof (30°) and masonry sidewall? How did they perform for you?

• A. Shak Infra Flash (Builders link)
  • BMI Monier Easyflash (Builders link. My concern is that it is supposed to be used with their wakastrip counterflashing, which I cannot source in Cape Town so far. Have you found it?)
Only looking for actual first-hand experience of these specific products. Thanks!

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Hi

Do you have experience with either/both of these products for flashing between tiled roof (30°) and masonry sidewall? How did they perform for you?

• A. Shak Infra Flash (Builders link)
  • BMI Monier Easyflash (Builders link. My concern is that it is supposed to be used with their wakastrip counterflashing, which I cannot source in Cape Town so far. Have you found it?)
Only looking for actual first-hand experience of these specific products. Thanks!

Had to rip out and replace stuff that looked like that Shak Infra Flash before, save yourself some money and buy the regular waterproofing acrylic paint and membrane

buffoon1

@Steamy Tom Thanks for the heads-up - that is good to know!

Unfortunately I had bad experience with the acrylic+membrane approach previously, despite following manufacturer's instructions carefully. Maybe I'll try it anyway since I still have a bunch of it in stock.

Thinking about other options, neither flashband nor torch-on seems suited to this application. So... I might ask Youngman roofing what they have in terms of galv steel sheet flashings and counterflashings (mortar into the sidewall). I found a local example but now I cannot find the link to share...

Thanks again.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
@Steamy Tom Thanks for the heads-up - that is good to know!

Unfortunately I had bad experience with the acrylic+membrane approach previously, despite following manufacturer's instructions carefully. Maybe I'll try it anyway since I still have a bunch of it in stock.

Thinking about other options, neither flashband nor torch-on seems suited to this application. So... I might ask Youngman roofing what they have in terms of galv steel sheet flashings and counterflashings (mortar into the sidewall). I found a local example but now I cannot find the link to share...

Thanks again.

what sort of bad experience did you have, if done right it is 100% waterproof

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
I've worked with those before. Maybe send pics of the roof and if you do know where the problem area is before actually just buying something?

Waterproofing is essentially just a band aid and the problem will always come back because it does not last for ever. If it is a sidewall issue then I would opt for flashing in most situations and even use a form of waterproofing just for the extra edge