Burger King announces that some stores will now sell "a non-Halaal product"

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Coming from the guy who loves Pizza Hut pizza.

But seriously, jalapenos can make a boring dish interesting. Take for example Steers jalepeno mayo burger is really darn good.

In the East Rand you're spoilt for choice on bacon burgers.
That was their chocolate pizza mkay. At least quote the ancient history accurately :p

Lupus

Honorary Master
Looks like there might be differences around the globe. That would mean the items on offer by the SA franchise are just not up to scratch and nothing to do with BK being an American product.

American products are actually pretty good. Krispy Kreme has boomed since it launched a few years ago. Dairy Fairy is doing great too. And they haven't changed a thing except add one or two South African flavours.
Well it's very close ours, I mean the one I had in Scotland was a Angus Whopper so the patty was better quality. The one in England had bacon :).
Mcd tasted the same, Domino's as well, don't like Krispy Kreme here or there the icing is to rich.
Nandos is similar but ours was marginally better, but that was ten years ago.

Jings

Honorary Master
Well it's very close ours, I mean the one I had in Scotland was a Angus Whopper so the patty was better quality. The one in England had bacon :).
Mcd tasted the same, Domino's as well, don't like Krispy Kreme here or there the icing is to rich.
Nandos is similar but ours was marginally better, but that was ten years ago.
How is it that beef in England tastes awful while Scotland has Angus? :laugh:

Maybe the trick would be to keep the product the same, unless it can genuinely be improved.

Nando's ten years ago was not good, but improved significantly in the last three years or so. Whoever changed the menu and recipes has done a sterling job.

isie

Honorary Master
How is it that beef in England tastes awful while Scotland has Angus? :laugh:

Maybe the trick would be to keep the product the same, unless it can genuinely be improved.
Once you go black you can't go back , that's the Angus secret :)

Lupus

Honorary Master
How is it that beef in England tastes awful while Scotland has Angus?

Nando's ten years ago was not good, but improved significantly in the last three years or so. Whoever changed the menu and recipes has done a sterling job.
Yeah Angus was great :), a lot of things don't cross the Scottish border. I mean they had Tennets lager and you could get Amstel in Edinburgh, but just a few km down across the border only Kronenberg 1664, Stella Artois and Fosters? Than no Angus beef either.

LD50

Try making your own burgers. Start by making your own patties.
Grow tomatoes and lettuce if can.
The hell with these corporates

Jings

Honorary Master
Yeah Angus was great :), a lot of things don't cross the Scottish border. I mean they had Tennets lager and you could get Amstel in Edinburgh, but just a few km down across the border only Kronenberg 1664, Stella Artois and Fosters? Than no Angus beef either.
Well well well, England and Scotland still have a beef.

isie

Honorary Master
How do you explain white Angus then?

Bloody GMOs ;) , apperantly they fare better in warmer climates but
Iirc in the states they won't certify it as Angus unless the animals coat was majority black

Arthur

Honorary Master
Iirc in the states they won't certify it as Angus unless the animals coat was majority black
Hehe. Amazing what one learns in a burger thread. Never knew about these white Anguses, apparently developed in Florida. Sent a link to a Texas cattle rancher I know.

Jings

Honorary Master
USA have their own standards like any other country. Propably even have a specifically related association like for everything else they have. But it seems the Scottish are better at recognising Angus so they don't need to be a specific colour. :p

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I wonder.. :unsure: will everything be non haalal like the patties?
I believe technically nothing will be halaal any longer. ;)
Thank goodness SA hasn't brought any sourdough burgers out here from Burger King, wouldn't want that. I wouldn't say no to a bacon burger, however.
You know you wouldn't actually have to eat it? Some people, on the other hand, might appreciate it.

Angus is a range they do in all the UK BKs so you're just as likely to have a Angus burger in Scotland as you are in London, if that's what you order,.

falcon786

Executive Member
Americans applying BEE to cows,I think I've seen it all now.:D

On a serious note though it's probably due to outdated standards basing grading on known breed colouration.